LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Things I learned in Maui

Reefs in Hawaii are very sharp.

Not to wear my wedding band in the ocean, (gone on the first day)

Tiger Sharks do in fact run the lineup, as I captured live photos of a 10 footer that got us all out of the water very quickly.

When you surf a place called "Shark Pits"... It got the name for a reason...

There really isnt as much surf in HI as everyone says there is.

The surf in AC the week before was Head high and better, but the 85 degree water temps make lack of swell enjoyable.

Maui is a small island.

The road to Hana is beautiful, but gnarly.

Longboarding reefs in Maui is as fun as shredding head high beach break back home.

Its REALLY easy to get Maui Waui on Maui =)

Having no lifeguards, on ANY beaches, ROCKS. ABOSOLUTELY ROCKS!!! Until you hear the awkward "shark sirens" atterting everyone out of the water...

The whole "Angry Local" vibe is not nearly as apparent as everyone tells you. People there are simple and kind, and the place is NOT THAT crowded....

CA is much more crowded that HI

Wetsuits SUCK... REALLY BAD!!!!

Maui is the perfect destination for a honeymoon.

Every golf course on the island is designed to be the easier course on earth, so you always want to come back. THERE WAS ZERO ROUGH, on every course on the island. Just wide open, 300 yard wide fairways... Golfing heaven for golfers who suck.

The Windward side of the island is always 4 feet or so, but unsurfable due to 30 MPH onshores....

Sick trip. Love the place. Still recovering, but I have some picks to post soon. Not much surf action, but the 5-6 shots I took of the tiger shark in the shore break are cool enough...

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    Images
    sounds so legendary. glad the trip rocked. cant wait to head out there... someday

Images
    Dont confuse "Hawaii" with Maui... I have only been to Maui and Oahu, but those 2 islands are very different. Much more laid back in Maui. I here each island has its unique flavor.

As far as the surf goes, the summer time south swells can be mellow, but when the occasional solid south swell can light up some areas. In the winter, obviously it gets big, ie. Jaws. But, then you have one of the sickest right point breaks in Honolua Bay and plenty of other places to surf in winter.
    Last edited by Swellinfo; Sep 12, 2010 at 12:45 PM.

Sounds like a real mellow trip. I got a chuckle out of shark pits, glad to hear your in one piece

Images
    Zach you only have a very small picture of Maui. Alot of what you say is incorrect.
    Last edited by Aguaholic; Sep 12, 2010 at 11:54 AM.

Images
    there was a rental mustang trying to do the road to hana last time I was there...pretty funny

Images
    the road to hana is really awesome getting there. And, then on the way back it is just nauseating.

i am hoping to get down there soon. never been to maui, but i have been to oahu twice, and going back this december. a guy i graduated high school with lives out in maui now, and a buddy of mine we graduated with as well who lives by me goes to visit about once a year, but i still haven't been yet. sucks about the wedding band though man! i don't even leave body jewelery in when i'm in the water.

Awesome

Awesome, glad you enjoyed! To me, Hawaii will always be paradise, even Oahu is still waaay badass, especially when you compare the reality to the bs that people like to propagate. Aloha.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aguaholic View Post
    Zach you only have a very small picture of Maui. Alot of what you say is incorrect.
    I assume you mean the comments about the surf. Yes, I know that staying 10 days on an island does not give you a clear picture. I spoke with about 100 local surfers the whole time I was there. Guys from CA, guys from Jersey... And they all pretty much agreed that the surf was SICK and EPIC when it is there, but swells are inconsistent, and when they do arrive, you better be ready to drive across the island...

So, again, I loved the place and I enjoyed the long boarding I got into, but everyone told me the same thing "We get like 4 waves all summer here" etc... I saw the potential a ta ton of places. I went to Jaws. I sat there watching it. The place is SICK!!!

But again, the one thing I took from it, is that its not nearly as consistent as people make it out to be.... Everyone says that the South Swells light up Maui in the summer and fall.

I was there for 10 days. There were 2 total days (on the entire island) that were over knee high. There has not been a "flat spell" like that in the history of southern california. Any time of year... I mean, there was NOTHING there. A lake on the south side, a lake on the west side, a lake on the north side... Choppy crossed up short period wind swell on the east side everyday....

Again, if I had scored good surf when I was there, I probably would be saying "Maui is the SICKEST surf on the planet"...

its just a bummer getting skunked.

Like I said, I spent less than 24 hours on the Jersey Shore and surfed Head High beach break alone in Brigantine.... It was sick... Then you travel to the mother land of surfing, and all of the islands were dead flat for 10 days... Im just saying, some of it was bad luck... But ALL the locals were complaining. All I heard was "Yeah, the summers suck on every island every year... You shoulda seen the WINTER tho!!!!" I guess everyone says that. East coast, west coast, HI... You should been here in the winter!!!!