LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    I assume you mean the comments about the surf. Yes, I know that staying 10 days on an island does not give you a clear picture. I spoke with about 100 local surfers the whole time I was there. Guys from CA, guys from Jersey... And they all pretty much agreed that the surf was SICK and EPIC when it is there, but swells are inconsistent, and when they do arrive, you better be ready to drive across the island...

So it like the Eastcoast minus the cold water. I guess MikeB was wrong agian

Like I said, I spent less than 24 hours on the Jersey Shore and surfed Head High beach break alone in Brigantine....
    Going to Maui was probably one of the best trips I ever did...it's crazy you say that about Brigantine, a week after I got back from Maui I caught a really big swell at Brigantine 2-3 ft. OH and alone (I saw maybe 3 other people out that day) and it was bigger than any wave I caught in Maui...but for the time that I went, which was late summer, we had a nice run of swell...especially on the east side of the island..We drove the road to Hana three times back and forth and we were only there for a week to get to this sweet ass beach...lol ...Amazing place, I want to go back soon!
    Last edited by Koki Barrels; Sep 12, 2010 at 09:59 PM.

Originally Posted by zach619
    Like I said, I spent less than 24 hours on the Jersey Shore and surfed Head High beach break alone in Brigantine....

Brigantine is really fickle. I would have def recommended going into AC or Ocean City. its still a fun wave but AC has a lot more power..a lot!!

Images
    i know zach's trip to maui was more "honeymoon" based, but if I were to go down there for a real surf trip, what would be the ideal island to go to? Oahu sounds sick, but I dont know alot about the other places

Not to wear my wedding band in the ocean, (gone on the first day)
    Oh man, that's too bad. We tried warning you about this one.

6. I will go to maui next week, hope it so great!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Driftingalong View Post
    Oh man, that's too bad. We tried warning you about this one.
    Yeah, but I warned her too, so it was kinda funny. We ended up buying this $30 sick silver wave ring down in Lahaina and Ive been rockin it ever since! All is well that ends well.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dome997 View Post
    I will go to maui next week, hope it so great!
    I left Maui 4 days ago. A bunch of locals I met there were just leaving on flights to Tahiti to get what they described as "An Epic Swell". I asked them (5 days ago) when that swell would show in Maui and where. They said about 1.5 weeks. So, if you are going there next week, the locals were saying there is big south swell coming. So, go down South of La Haina on the west side, or anywhere down on the south central coast. Thats where they were saying it will show. The wind is off shore and light down about 5 miles south of La Haina. That was showing the most swell the whole time I was there....

The first few days I was there, there was some windswell wrapping around the North Shore from the Windward side and the Hana side was bigger but super choppy and unsurfable looking, and there were a few nooks and crannies breaking up around where Jaws is.

Word to the wise... there are 7,298,875 people that are all trying to surf SUPs on Maui. The locals were all screaming and bashing Laird and going on rampages about all the mainland transplant SUPers. They are EVERYWHERE... and they CANNOT SURF!....

I was owning the SUPers on a 9footer LB... So, fear not, but im telling you, there are a MILLION of them at every public spot.....

I dont know whats its called, but there is a spot out in the middle of a harbor, arounds some moorings that was going off for a little 3 footer. Sick reef. I will PM you where it was, and how we paddled out. But all the people told me before we went "It is locals only" blah blah... But everyone there was cool. They actually held a Grom contest there in mid week and this little 100 pound kids were boosting off this little 1 footer reef break. it was sick!

Good luck...

Trust me, the surf in Maui was sick... I just got minimal swell the whole 10 days. They had said a couple weeks before it was epic, so you will probably score....

I usually found places with only a couple guys out. So I could follow their lead on paddling out and where the reefs were peaking, but there are tons of breaks with like 100 guys on it that you can just walk right up to.

Images
    And talk to the dude on the bench on Front St in Lahaina named Mitch (the cubbies hat) or his buddy phoenix!!!! they got that WAUI!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    Going to Maui was probably one of the best trips I ever did...it's crazy you say that about Brigantine, a week after I got back from Maui I caught a really big swell at Brigantine 2-3 ft. OH and alone (I saw maybe 3 other people out that day) and it was bigger than any wave I caught in Maui...but for the time that I went, which was late summer, we had a nice run of swell...especially on the east side of the island..We drove the road to Hana three times back and forth and we were only there for a week to get to this sweet ass beach...lol ...Amazing place, I want to go back soon!
    See, we golfed in Brigantine in the AM, and we stayed in the penthouse at the Borgata, so when we drove back to check in to the hotel around 2:00pm on Wednesday, August 25th. When we got up, our room faced the ocean, and I could litterally see all the swell on the whole coast. The place that looked the biggest, I mean from 2 miles away, was right over the bridge in Brigantine. It was like the whole 2 miles of beach break right over the bridge by those neiborhoods. So, after watching the surf down in AC, it just didnt look as big. And when I got to the beach in Brigantine, it was bigger than I thought and PERFECT... A tad cold cause I was trunking it and it was a cloudy day.... But it was sick...

I played the worst golf of my life in Brigantine.

Scored epic surf in Brigantine.

Ate a sick dinner and met Bobby Flay in his Steak house at the Borgata.

Played Craps (for the first time ever) with my brother and my friends and we all ended up making like 1500 - $2000 each. And we all started maying $15 bets. We ran the Borgata craps tables for like 5 hours, made a killing... Ended up in some CRAZY, CRAZY strip club down in AC somehwere... Dirty Dirty whores, but we balled out with all the money we made.... Went back to the hotel at like 4am... Played craps again and made like $500 more.

Went to bed...

Woke up... Surfed again... Bounced...

It was an EPIC bachelor party... and I got nothing but love for JERSEY! I have never been, and I lived in MD my whole life... I was impressed with the surf. Impressed with city of AC... I was stoked.... Couldnt have gone better....

And my wedding in MD was picture perfect too. Not a cloud in the sky. On the chesapeake bay... 88 degrees, no humidity... It was PERFECT... I was so worried about weather etc at the end of august, and it was just PERFECT! and then the day after we left for Maui, the hurricanes started hitting the coast... So it was perfect timing.