LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Hahahahaha Maui Waui

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    I assume you mean the comments about the surf. Yes, I know that staying 10 days on an island does not give you a clear picture. I spoke with about 100 local surfers the whole time I was there. Guys from CA, guys from Jersey... And they all pretty much agreed that the surf was SICK and EPIC when it is there, but swells are inconsistent, and when they do arrive, you better be ready to drive across the island...

So, again, I loved the place and I enjoyed the long boarding I got into, but everyone told me the same thing "We get like 4 waves all summer here" etc... I saw the potential a ta ton of places. I went to Jaws. I sat there watching it. The place is SICK!!!

But again, the one thing I took from it, is that its not nearly as consistent as people make it out to be.... Everyone says that the South Swells light up Maui in the summer and fall.

I was there for 10 days. There were 2 total days (on the entire island) that were over knee high. There has not been a "flat spell" like that in the history of southern california. Any time of year... I mean, there was NOTHING there. A lake on the south side, a lake on the west side, a lake on the north side... Choppy crossed up short period wind swell on the east side everyday....

Again, if I had scored good surf when I was there, I probably would be saying "Maui is the SICKEST surf on the planet"...

its just a bummer getting skunked.

Like I said, I spent less than 24 hours on the Jersey Shore and surfed Head High beach break alone in Brigantine.... It was sick... Then you travel to the mother land of surfing, and all of the islands were dead flat for 10 days... Im just saying, some of it was bad luck... But ALL the locals were complaining. All I heard was "Yeah, the summers suck on every island every year... You shoulda seen the WINTER tho!!!!" I guess everyone says that. East coast, west coast, HI... You should been here in the winter!!!!
    Yeah thats beat you got skunked. I was there a month before you.... and surfed the Harbor head - over head. The summer there is hit or miss. But, like you said you have to drive across the island....and even though the island is considered small...it takes you forever to get around it.

BTW - did you see that old ass cemetery?
    Last edited by Aguaholic; Sep 13, 2010 at 07:49 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ND081 View Post
    i know zach's trip to maui was more "honeymoon" based, but if I were to go down there for a real surf trip, what would be the ideal island to go to? Oahu sounds sick, but I dont know alot about the other places
    In this order

Oahu
    Kauai
    Maui

Images
    And talk to the dude on the bench on Front St in Lahaina named Mitch (the cubbies hat) or his buddy phoenix!!!! they got that WAUI!
    The herbal essense dude? black dude sitting across from the harbor?
    Last edited by Aguaholic; Sep 13, 2010 at 08:34 PM.

Images
    I dont know whats its called, but there is a spot out in the middle of a harbor
    Was it near a shipwreck?

See, we golfed in Brigantine in the AM, and we stayed in the penthouse at the Borgata, so when we drove back to check in to the hotel around 2:00pm on Wednesday, August 25th. When we got up, our room faced the ocean, and I could litterally see all the swell on the whole coast. The place that looked the biggest, I mean from 2 miles away, was right over the bridge in Brigantine. It was like the whole 2 miles of beach break right over the bridge by those neiborhoods. So, after watching the surf down in AC, it just didnt look as big. And when I got to the beach in Brigantine, it was bigger than I thought and PERFECT... A tad cold cause I was trunking it and it was a cloudy day.... But it was sick...

I played the worst golf of my life in Brigantine.

Scored epic surf in Brigantine.

Ate a sick dinner and met Bobby Flay in his Steak house at the Borgata.

Played Craps (for the first time ever) with my brother and my friends and we all ended up making like 1500 - $2000 each. And we all started maying $15 bets. We ran the Borgata craps tables for like 5 hours, made a killing... Ended up in some CRAZY, CRAZY strip club down in AC somehwere... Dirty Dirty whores, but we balled out with all the money we made.... Went back to the hotel at like 4am... Played craps again and made like $500 more.

Went to bed...

Woke up... Surfed again... Bounced...

It was an EPIC bachelor party... and I got nothing but love for JERSEY! I have never been, and I lived in MD my whole life... I was impressed with the surf. Impressed with city of AC... I was stoked.... Couldnt have gone better....

And my wedding in MD was picture perfect too. Not a cloud in the sky. On the chesapeake bay... 88 degrees, no humidity... It was PERFECT... I was so worried about weather etc at the end of august, and it was just PERFECT! and then the day after we left for Maui, the hurricanes started hitting the coast... So it was perfect timing.
    That's cool, man...sounds like you had a good time...congrats on gettin' hitched...I know the neighborhood your talking about there in Brigantine, that's where I parked...it was my first time there and I was by myself, I guess it was '05 or '06...can't remember exactly...and it was crazy, there was a storm that had come through and gone out into the ocean and I did a little research and found out where the bulk of the swell would be and it was at Brigantine...and man did I score....beautiful 8-9 foot rollers, and they just kept coming in one after the other...it was a ***** getting out that day, It took me what seemed like a half an hour to paddle out the first time and I just got annihilated and pushed back to the beach...I sat there for about 10 minutes or so and just said to myself, there's no way I'm leaving until I get out there and with that headed out and made it out fairly easily....it was superb! Caught an S-load of waves that day and there was nobody there...I couldn't believe it...it kind of helped me out to 'cause I was really bummed coming back here after being in Maui....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aguaholic View Post
    The herbal essense dude? black dude sitting across from the harbor?
    phoenix is the black dude. Used to live in IB

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aguaholic View Post
    Was it near a shipwreck?
    Yeah, like 200 yards south outside the buoys... they told me whats it called. I just wanted to PM it. thats where i photoed the shark.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    That's cool, man...sounds like you had a good time...congrats on gettin' hitched...I know the neighborhood your talking about there in Brigantine, that's where I parked...it was my first time there and I was by myself, I guess it was '05 or '06...can't remember exactly...and it was crazy, there was a storm that had come through and gone out into the ocean and I did a little research and found out where the bulk of the swell would be and it was at Brigantine...and man did I score....beautiful 8-9 foot rollers, and they just kept coming in one after the other...it was a ***** getting out that day, It took me what seemed like a half an hour to paddle out the first time and I just got annihilated and pushed back to the beach...I sat there for about 10 minutes or so and just said to myself, there's no way I'm leaving until I get out there and with that headed out and made it out fairly easily....it was superb! Caught an S-load of waves that day and there was nobody there...I couldn't believe it...it kind of helped me out to 'cause I was really bummed coming back here after being in Maui....
    Yeah, I am good now, cause I got home and north county was going off. They are doing the Hurley Pro there right now. So, its good to be home in some consistent surf, but it is fu**ing cold. San Diego had no summer this year. The water temp is STILL 62 degrees. Thats what it MAXED out at. The surf is good, but the water temps are crazy low. It only gets down to like 58 in the winter, so really, it is about as cold now as it will be all year. So there will be no transitional period this year. There are guys out in booties and sh**! Thats a bit much, but damn. Typically, this time in setpember, I am in trunks and its between 72-74. fu**ing sucks.

That must be sweet ass all hell living out there...I've never been to Cali, but really want to get there soon...sucks about the cold water, but at least you guys got some swell...I've been waiting for swell all year and FINALLY we're getting some...I'm all amped up for IGOR!!!