LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    here are some shots from Bill, shot with my dsc-h10...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I mainly shoot in my backyard since the insect population is unreal!

Images
    I really need to upgrade my camera I got a Nikon L100 last winter . Its I nice beginers camera and was only 240 on sale. You cant up any lenses on it but for what it is it does a okay job. I just started tooling with a camera last winter. I wanna get a camera that I can use with differnt lenses eventually
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    I'm the "odd-ball" in most photog discussions because I use a Pentax , more specifically a K100D w/ a Pentax 18-55 as well as Quantaray 70-300 1:4-5.6 . I recently bought a Tamron 28-300 XR Di 1:3.5-6.3 because I hated changing lenses, but I've found the Quantaray is much better for surf photography. I've got lots of pics posted here as well as in my Facebook group: Ocean City Maryland Surfing
    I don't do photoshop, about all I do is use Windows Live Photo Gallery to straighten horizons, crop and change to B & W.
    I want to upgrade next summer and I'm considering all brands, but I know the Pentax have some of the fastest shutter speeds in the lower end cameras. There is a good site to see reviews as well as compare cameras ..... http://www.dpreview.com

Images
    Well considering there is no camera called the IV
    i know.... im calling her "black betty" lol lol lol

Images

Yah, Nature's cool

By the way, are you using a bellows on your insect shots Chris, or just a telephoto?

Last edited by MDSurfer; Sep 13, 2010 at 05:00 AM.

Images
    I am a hobbyist as well. I had a pic in the February Photos of the Month, and in the OC Today in June. Just for fun really

Images
    I must agree with the comments that its the photographer that counts more than the equipment - someone saying "you have nice pictures so you must have a nice camera" (or vice-versa) is like telling a cook "that meal was great you must have really good pans"

that said - you'll notice the biggest difference when it comes to slr's in the lens choices you make - if you have money for both then get the 1D Mark IV but if you have a set budget go for something like the 7D and get really good glass (fast L lenses) we're on the east coast so much of our best light for surf is around sunset, having that fast lens can make all the difference in being able to shoot when the evening glasses off.

MDSurfer - that is some amazing depth of field in the praying mantis shot - great pic

also just remember that the lens is much more important than the body. you should be spending more money on your lens than camera. Whats the point of having a 1k camera with a $200 lens on it?

@MDSurfer, I use just about anything but most of the time I am using a 24 - 70mm, the crappy kit lens 18 - 55mm or the 70 - 200mm on a monopod

We are lucky in the fact we have a butterfly and hummingbird sanctuary. I can get right up to most and shoot macro.