LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Angry people at the mercy of a gov't gone "fowl"

having trouble embedding the video...so go here: http://vimeo.com/14696293 & watch it! then take some sort of positive action & make your voice heard!

the fact that this is STILL going on pisses me off...
    Last edited by njsurfer42; Sep 14, 2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: can't embed video...or i'm just an idiot...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    having trouble embedding the video...so go here: http://vimeo.com/14696293 & watch it! then take some sort of positive action & make your voice heard!

the fact that this is STILL going on pisses me off...
    Honestly, in my opinion the entire National Seashore should be closed to vehicle traffic. For anyone to completely disregard an avian species, who's only refuge is a few square miles, is arrogant. Do you have any idea how many toxic chemicals combustion engines utilize? Think of how much ends up on the beach. If your too lazy to hike a few miles, maybe you should stop eating hamburgers and hit the gym.
    Last edited by andrewk529; Sep 14, 2010 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewk529 View Post
    Honestly, in my opinion the entire National Seashore should be closed to vehicle traffic. For anyone to completely disregard an avian species, who's only refuge is a few square miles, is arrogant. Do you have any idea how many toxic chemicals combustion engines utilize? Think of how much ends up on the beach. If your too lazy to hike a few miles, maybe you should stop eating hamburgers and hit the gym.
    Please define what you mean by the "entire National Seashore".

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled Surfer View Post
    Please define what you mean by the "entire National Seashore".
    I was referring to Cape Hatteras National Seashore.

Quote Originally Posted by wallysurfr View Post
    Because they're birds, and we're humans.
    We have more in common with perceived "lower" organisms then most people would like to admit.

MINOR?!? have you ever even been to cape hatteras (hatteras...not the outer banks in general, b/c duck, corolla, etc...are all already borderline over-developed & over-populated)?? did you read my post or watch the video?? this is not a case of a few people & their businesses being affected by this. it's the entire island & everyone that lives there, owns property there, or visits there on a regular basis.
    i can tell you for a FACT that business was down significantly all across the outer banks in the first couple years that this went on. people are not & will not come to the outer banks if the beaches are closed. beach driving is only one aspect of this situation. people come there b/c they can find secluded spots on the beach, away from other people...if they want to be packed into a small stretch of beach, they can come to nj or go to fla. or just about any other over-developed coastal town in the US. the fact that development is limited to certain parts of the island ensures that hatteras island will never become a hilton head or ocean city (md OR nj). that's legal fact.
    there is ambiguity in the empirical evidence...if there isn't, why did the observable plover population DECLINE on hatteras island during the time of the closures when the observable plover population world-wide has INCREASED?

as matt said: tread lightly, leave it better than you found it, take your trash w/ you. & drive slowly. the beach speed limit is less than 15mph. no reason to go faster than that. just cruise & enjoy the scenery (birds included).
    Again, the issue is more complex than a few nesting sites. It only takes one storm to destroy a colony of nesting birds, who will not breed until the subsequent year. That's exactly my point, the Outer Banks have turned into an urban sprawl, restricting the native wildlife to a few small areas.

Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    Do u know the what tread lightly is ????

Its using exhisting man made or trails made my nature. If you dont go off the path or make your own trail vegitation is not harmed . Trees are harmed my the emissions of vehicals but there are trees everywhere so what do you suggest park are car or trucks???

I am a firm beliver of leave it the way you found it or better. I dont know how much trash it take with me off the beach thats not my own.

Park the cars outside of the National Parks, and hike into the areas. I applaud your positive attitude, but the fact is many people do not tread lightly. One more aspect: if 100,000 people tread lightly, the additive effect becomes a significant detrimental impact.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Parks+...%3F-a016908048
    Last edited by andrewk529; Sep 15, 2010 at 02:52 PM.

Images
    huh? the only thing I have in common with them is that if I was starving I would catch and eat one of those birds and their eggs.

Why are you so passionate about this? You're from Delaware right?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wallysurfr View Post
    huh? the only thing I have in common with them is that if I was starving I would catch and eat one of those birds and their eggs.

Why are you so passionate about this? You're from Delaware right?
    I respect nature, and it is my hope American's will awaken to their folly before it's too late. Yes,my ethnic origins are traced back to the Delmarva Peninsula, long before any Colonists had chosen this continent.

Again, the issue is more complex than a few nesting sites. It only takes one storm to destroy a colony of nesting birds, who will not breed until the subsequent year. That's exactly my point, the Outer Banks have turned into an urban sprawl, restricting the native wildlife to a few small areas.

hatteras island can hardly be described as urban sprawl. there are native & invasive species everywhere.
    like i said, the key to really resolving this is proper management. what is currently happening & what was happening are shining examples of environmental mismanagement & the creeping, entropic effect that beaurocracy has on organizations.
    perhaps a better tack would be to begin an attempt to remove the invasive plant & animal species from the banks before you begin restricting people's beach access.

hatteras island can hardly be described as urban sprawl. there are native & invasive species everywhere.
    like i said, the key to really resolving this is proper management. what is currently happening & what was happening are shining examples of environmental mismanagement & the creeping, entropic effect that beaurocracy has on organizations.
    perhaps a better tack would be to begin an attempt to remove the invasive plant & animal species from the banks before you begin restricting people's beach access.
    urban sprawl is nags head and points north. it is not part of the cape hatteras national seashore recreation area.

Images
    What about Avon,Frisco and Buxton or the three villages of Rodanthe,Salvo and Waves, not to mention Hatteras town? The invasive botanical species are here to stay; futility comes to mind when attempting to remove certain plant species. Do a Google search on invasive plants and their impact. In any case, these are completely separate issues, and are not associated with the beach closures.

Quote Originally Posted by intheeye View Post
    hate to disagree with you on this, but there are a few bad apples in every barrel so don't stereotype the beach goers. like i said, i've lived here 34 years on hatteras island and the majority of the people driving on the beach are families with their kids, guys that have been working all day that live here because they love the beach and they love to fish and retirees who either live here or drive here to fish. being here everyday is different than visiting here.
    Think of how much enjoyment everyone would receive, if they actually walked on the beach, and noticed the nuances of nature. You cannot appreciate nature from inside a steel frame with the AC blowing.
    Last edited by andrewk529; Sep 15, 2010 at 09:36 PM.

Images
    I was referring to Cape Hatteras National Seashore.

We have more in common with perceived "lower" organisms then most people would like to admit.

Park the cars outside of the National Parks, and hike into the areas. I applaud your positive attitude, but the fact is many people do not tread lightly. One more aspect: if 100,000 people tread lightly, the additive effect becomes a significant detrimental impact.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Parks+...%3F-a016908048

you actually very wrong there are Parks for motorized vehicals that practice the tread lighty plan and they look like man has almost never been there exept for a trail . check out Raush Creek or anyone of them type places they practice tread lightly for minimal envormental impact.