LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rip Tides

I learned to surf near Sydney and now, coming back to home in New England, I find it much more difficult to find the rip and I feel like finding the rip has a lot less to do with paddling out, that people paddle out all over the place here. Anybody else feel this way? Could just be the beaches I go to.

can someone explain why it feels easiest to paddle out next to a jetty?

Quote Originally Posted by surfdog23 View Post
    can someone explain why it feels easiest to paddle out next to a jetty?
    because there is usually a rip there. the swell comes in from an angle, breaks, and the water will channel back out next to the jetty. it'd be a lot easier to explain w/ a diagram or something

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sealattack! View Post
    I've never been stuck in a riptide w/o a board, but I'd like to practice, actually... you know, swimming in rough water w/o my board. Feel it's something we, as surfers, should all be comfortable with, just not sure how to get there. Don't want to be too dependent on the board. Reading about rips in the paper makes me feel like I'd get sucked out hundreds of yards, and even on my board, I've never had that experience.
    WTF?

wait, what?

just saying i've never swam inside a riptide. and even when i've been on my board in a rip, i don't get sucked out uncontrollably.

Images
    wait, what?

just saying i've never swam inside a riptide. and even when i've been on my board in a rip, i don't get sucked out uncontrollably.
    I just didn't get the "but I'd like to practice, actually... you know, swimming in rough water w/o my board. Feel it's something we, as surfers, should all be comfortable with, just not sure how to get there" part of your post. Also, when your on a board, you won't get sucked out uncontrollably because your on top of the current, not in it.

Well, not like I'm looking forward to getting stuck in a rip w/o my board, but we've all experienced broken leashes.

Just want to be ready, in case it happens, that's all. Think Keanu Reeves in North Shore, working out and ****, so that he can get respect in the lineup, with Warchild et al.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT63N...eature=related

wait, what?

try surfing ocean beach in SF at 10 ft++

Quote Originally Posted by latedrop View Post
    try surfing ocean beach in SF at 10 ft++
    I second that motion, your honor. Ever surf Moss Landing? Similar happy paddle out situation in the same cold, murky, sharky Norcal paradise. God I f#%$ing miss that place!

Images
    wait, what?

when i did lifeguard training they would put you in super strong rips. you would have to let it suck you out, then swim back while pulling someone on a buoy