LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: firewire repair

firewire repair

i have a little crack on my tail of my firewire nothing huge but it will definitely let in water. Is there any easy way to repair it?

Images
    I believe just standard epoxy resin. That's all I used on mine.

A tube of suncure repair resin with the chopped strand in it will make a quick and easy repair. Remove any loose material, and sand the area of the ding and bit of area around the ding. Fill the ding with goop, spreading it out over the sanded area around the ding as well. Don't leave much excess, just fill and cover the ding completely. Set it in the sun to cure rock hard, then sand it smooth.

Fixing it "right" is not as quick or easy, but will look a lot better. Depending on the ding, it may require a few steps, and you'll need laminating resin, cloth, maybe some filler material, and surface agent. If you can't get laminating resin and surface agent, you can do it with sanding resin instead.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Sep 24, 2010 at 11:30 AM.

Also, remember that Firwewires will not absorb water as they use EPS foam not polyurethane. I would still fix it as water can get inbetween the glass and the foam but the the foam will not absorb water.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2MARG8 View Post
    Also, remember that Firwewires will not absorb water as they use EPS foam not polyurethane. I would still fix it as water can get inbetween the glass and the foam but the the foam will not absorb water.
    I'm not sure i agree with that. I've built boards from both EPS foam and Polyurethane foam. You have to seal the EPS foam so the resin doesn't soak right in, so i find it hard to believe that EPS wouldnt also be prone to taking on water.

Just to clarify...

Only XPS, XTR, or other EXTRUDED polystyrene foams absorb no water. Quality expanded polystyrene foams (EPS) in 2lb density or higher, particularly the pressure molded and "superfused" varieties, absorb some water, but no more than PU.... maybe even less, depending on density. However, lower density foams, like the cores used in Sunovas, Surftechs, and other composite sandwich boards that are vented, use EPS of very low density, and will literally suck water like crazy, especially if you take a hot board out of your car, and jump into cool water. The gasses in between the foam beads will shrink, and create a negative pressure inside the core. This causes the blank to suck water in an effort to equalize pressure inside and outside the board. We're talking about LITERS of water potentially being sucked into your board.

I'm not sure what density foam was used in this guy,s Firewire, but chances are it's 1lb foam... that's what their standard core material is. So if I was this guy, I'd fix that thing pronto. That's one expensive piece of equipment not to address even a minor ding.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Sep 24, 2010 at 04:22 PM.

Dont put a firewire in the water without it being water tight, asking for trouble.

Depends on which technology firewire you have too. The eps foam they use in the RapidFires does not absorb water. The future shapes use 1lb and the Rapidfires use 2lb depends if you have rapid-fire or Future shapes etc. I did not and would never suggest that you don't fix it. I highly recommend that you do but the foam itself in a Rapidfire will not absorb water. In the rapid-fire it is like a foam coffee cup type material. I also recommend getting it repaired by a pro who knows what they are doing.

Regards,
    Dean
    Last edited by 2MARG8; Sep 24, 2010 at 10:32 PM.

Firewire garbage

Firewires are high priced pop out garbage. Throw it away and get a real board - like an FCD Mako, Octo or DM3. Seriously. -

Quote Originally Posted by RickS View Post
    Firewires are high priced pop out garbage. Throw it away and get a real board - like an FCD Mako, Octo or DM3. Seriously. -
    Wow, now there's a well thought out, rational response ::shakes head::