LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    RVA
    Posts
    188

    VA BEACH Shapers?

    new to the vb area....wondering if anyone has got any experience/feedback with the local shapers around here. any recommendations are appreciated! I'd rather buy local than get a big name company board

  2. #2
    Northender Guest
    Bill Frierson, hes been shapping for a while. He shaped my dad a surfboard when he was growing up and now hes who I buy from. He made me a killer 5'9" single fin, and now hes shapping me a 5'6" 5 fin halfmoon. Cant wait to get it, I know hes gonna do a great job

  3. #3

    shaper

    Yo dude i'm located in vb and i've been making custom boards for people, been doing it for about a year.. i'm def not pro but i do pretty well i think. I'd be happy to shape you something, and my boards are super cheap like 350 for a standard 6'0 thruster. Check out my website if you're interested: http://sovereignboardco.webs.com/

    You've also got bill like that guy said, he's the man if you're looking for something super nice. Some other guys are Ron Mellot (757-644-9829) who's awesome too but pretty much underground and kinda sketchy. Then there's two guys at this place called Fibercraft (757-425-6025) right behind bills shop that'll do custom stuff for ya.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville FL
    Posts
    423
    Ha ha Ron Mellot... glad he is still around. Got to appreciate a shaper whose board prices vary on whether or not alcohol is brought to the shop... Back in the day he didn't do shortboard shapes or at least not performance type stuff. Underground? Yup... Sketchy? Maybe.. did good work for me... An VB and East Coast classic? Most assuredly!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    CAPE MAY ,NJ
    Posts
    2,894
    Images
    5
    austin is in your area make great boards

    http://www.austinsurfboards.com/

  6. #6
    Austin Saunders (Austin Surfboards) does great work, does not cut corners in his shaping, glassing and finish work. Honest, straight-up guy.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranded in Smithfield View Post
    Ha ha Ron Mellot... glad he is still around. Got to appreciate a shaper whose board prices vary on whether or not alcohol is brought to the shop... Back in the day he didn't do shortboard shapes or at least not performance type stuff. Underground? Yup... Sketchy? Maybe.. did good work for me... An VB and East Coast classic? Most assuredly!

    Ha yeah oh don't get me wrong he'll make a sick board, and i have to agree with you there. Austin does a mean longboard.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by sjserpe View Post
    Yo dude i'm located in vb and i've been making custom boards for people, been doing it for about a year.. i'm def not pro but i do pretty well i think. I'd be happy to shape you something, and my boards are super cheap like 350 for a standard 6'0 thruster. Check out my website if you're interested: http://sovereignboardco.webs.com/
    hey man, i checked out the photo gallery on your website but didn't see any pix of completed boards. do you have any you could post? thanks

  9. #9
    Anyone have any experience with Mike Dolsey (sp?) in Norfolk? Somebody recommended him to me, I may be looking to get a fish shaped for me soon.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    40

    Mike Dolsy boards

    Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    Anyone have any experience with Mike Dolsey (sp?) in Norfolk? Somebody recommended him to me, I may be looking to get a fish shaped for me soon.
    I could be wrong, but the only boards I've ever heard about associated with Mike Dolsey are Far East pop out's. He runs a warehouse in Norfolk and advertises his boards on Craigslist for $250+ I know he's from this area, but I've never heard of a legitimtaely hand shaped board that was glassed around here. Again, I could be wrong. See the attached link.

    http://norfolk.craigslist.org/spo/1976020488.html

Tags for this Thread