LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    When they added sand to LB (over 15 years ago), they completely ruined the breaks. North End still isn't the same. I hope it works out better for you guys in South NJ.

sand

Army corps. try's to match the sand already on the beach. Except that the beach is already eroding leaving courser sand to match to. Really fine sand is hard to come by as well. There are only pockets offshore that they mine from. Thats mostly b/c really fine sand comes from the land, not the ocean. Winds are supposed to blow the tiniest grains into the water near shore. Winds and water current groom out the sediment into bars. Development on the coast has stopped this process. Beach erosion and the damage done by higher storm surge as a result, are a symptom of over development. No amount of sand is going to change that.

West Long Branch, New Jersey, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by wet dreams View Post
    Exactly. 5th street in Bethany Beach is never pumped and yet every year it's still there. I realize the wind helps to replinish it but maybe if we just back off and let things naturally return this wouldn't be an issue. I know of a few beaches that have never been pumped and they always seem to work it out on their own.
    I agree these beaches have been here the way they are for hudreds of years before they started replenishing them. I dont know why they waist so much money trying to replenish them when they should be spending that money on finding ways to protect our oceans and beaches from pollution. I dont know if I'm rite about this but it seems like the beaches that get really steep from the replenishment have worse rips than the other beaches. Thats not very good when we have all these people coming to our beaches and drowning..

Quote Originally Posted by surfer666 View Post
    Army corps. try's to match the sand already on the beach. Except that the beach is already eroding leaving courser sand to match to. Really fine sand is hard to come by as well. There are only pockets offshore that they mine from. Thats mostly b/c really fine sand comes from the land, not the ocean. Winds are supposed to blow the tiniest grains into the water near shore. Winds and water current groom out the sediment into bars. Development on the coast has stopped this process. Beach erosion and the damage done by higher storm surge as a result, are a symptom of over development. No amount of sand is going to change that.
    I agree completely. The major erosion we see so often now is our own fault. It used to just be high water lines, now it's massive sand loss and huge drop offs. Good point about the sand as well. The coarse stuff is def useless.

Quote Originally Posted by surfer666 View Post
    ...fine sand comes from the land, not the ocean... Development on the coast has stopped this process.
    That's THE damning issue that has caused permanent damage to surf spots in NJ. Stop the natural migration of particles from land to water and you change the beach for ever. Development, particularly the damming of creeks to create artificial oceanfront lakes, changes the beach from an area of balanced erosion and deposition, to erosion only, resulting in the need to pump beaches. Development only goes one way... they never knock down homes and dig up roads to create beaches and natural beachfronts. Once the beachfront is developed it's gone forever. And the dominoes fall from there.

what they NEED to do is just make that artificial reef in long branch...