So, I plan on dabbling with a little shaping this winter and spring. Last week, I patched up and repaired almost every board in my quiver that had dings and issues. Everything is water tight, but I need to sand off a ton of excess resin/glass etc.... So, I am planning to buy a power sander... Initially, it will just be for sanding down the repairs I have already done... But eventually, I will be using it for more heavy duty shaping....

As a beginning shaper, making one board at a time, can I get away with having just a little one like this:

Model BO4510 1.8 Amps, 12,000 OPM

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/tls/1985495474.html

I just refuse to pay $250 bucks for some fancy smancy sander if one of these used one will work...

On craigslist, I have found about 50 sander all on sale as of today... All used, ranging in the $20 to the $100 range, and the ones for $100 are seriously heavy duty...

But for shaping, I assume you need tight, small angles, so the smaller the tool, the more accurate you can be..

Any advice from the many shaping pros on here?

P.S. I am not going big with the shapign thing, just playing around, so I dont have money to dump into equipment... Im just trying to be ghetto and get one item at a time.