LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: delaware

I am not an ocean engineer but what about selective pumping or beach sculpting? The one size fits all BS really has proven it does not work. I think it would be good to figure out how to build up the sand bars instead of making the beach bigger. But tourists don't come here to see nice sand bars. The larger "nicer" beaches draw people. My proposal would be to build up the sandbars and then monitor the sandbars and have a boat drop a load of sand in areas hard hit and allow the currents to distribute accordingly.

When I was at Kirra a bunch of years ago during the super bank time, I thought that there was a boat selectively dropping sand at places and I thought possibly with some input from Rabbit? Imagine if we can do something right and get a sick barreling long ass wave out of it? I think it is possible if the right person is giving scientific input...

Quote Originally Posted by wet dreams View Post
    So you're a fan of dredging. got it.
    Dredging clearly has some short term benefit in protecting the beach size and tourism industry, which is why they continue to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by wanker View Post
    I am not an ocean engineer but what about selective pumping or beach sculpting? The one size fits all BS really has proven it does not work. I think it would be good to figure out how to build up the sand bars instead of making the beach bigger. But tourists don't come here to see nice sand bars. The larger "nicer" beaches draw people. My proposal would be to build up the sandbars and then monitor the sandbars and have a boat drop a load of sand in areas hard hit and allow the currents to distribute accordingly.

When I was at Kirra a bunch of years ago during the super bank time, I thought that there was a boat selectively dropping sand at places and I thought possibly with some input from Rabbit? Imagine if we can do something right and get a sick barreling long ass wave out of it? I think it is possible if the right person is giving scientific input...
    Wankeer is right on with this one. The beginning of summer at Chinco we dropped a bunch of sandbags and tied them to a buoy where a nice sandbar shaped like a point had been created by the winters noreasters. It really made a difference and we've had a terrific surf spot all summer. It also helped create alot of other good sandbars nearby. Of course the buoy is gone now and the hurricanes havehad their way but it really made a difference.

Mitchell, thanks for the insight. Now it all makes sense. So that's their solution? To have that crain there to pump it over from south side. I'm assuming and taking a big leap here, but after the bridge is finally finished in 2020, they're going to permantely attach the pipe to the bridge and let that cyphen out the sand or whatever instead of holding it up with a big, ugly craine.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    The beginning of summer at Chinco we dropped a bunch of sandbags and tied them to a buoy where a nice sandbar shaped like a point had been created by the winters noreasters. It really made a difference and we've had a terrific surf spot all summer. It also helped create alot of other good sandbars nearby. Of course the buoy is gone now and the hurricanes havehad their way but it really made a difference.
    Wait, what?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyd View Post
    Mitchell, thanks for the insight. Now it all makes sense. So that's their solution? To have that crain there to pump it over from south side. I'm assuming and taking a big leap here, but after the bridge is finally finished in 2020, they're going to permantely attach the pipe to the bridge and let that cyphen out the sand or whatever instead of holding it up with a big, ugly craine.
    the pipe is attached to the old bridge and will be attached to the new bridge. The Crane is just to move around the end of the pipe where they suck up the sand from the SS beach so it doesn't just create a deep hole in one spot.

Oh, like the sink hole my foot went into the other day when I was leaving. Walked along the water's edge and suddenly i sank down to my shin. Gotcha.