LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: delaware

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyd View Post
    That's not photoshop. That's a real pic. I go there all the time. They're building a new bridge and I belive, though not positive, that they pump out the water and stuff for the pillars from time to time and that's what comes out. Just sand and water but it's still a nasty looking sight. Especially when it's pumping and coming right at you in the water. More of a mind f&$k more than anything.
    thats got nothing to do with the new bridge....they are pumping sand from the beach on the south side of the inlet to the beach on the north side because the jetties block the natural south to north flow of sand. Its been done for the last 20 years or so. ever notice the big red crane on the ss? Thats holding the other end of the pipe with the suction pump.

Mitchell is correct concerning IRI. In 1992 the state started pumping sand from the SS to the NS to help with the sand walls (sometimes as high as 8') that would form on NS due to the inlet splitting the natural flow of sand from SS so that there was actually a beach for visitors to enjoy instead of a cliff for surfers to slide or jump down while going out to ride. Man, I miss those breaks though. especially the wedging peak that used to break off the SS rocks.

And as far as digging sand 'out' of dewey, i have no clue what you are talking about. Yes, we did have some pretty decent sandbars for a 4 year stretch in the beginning of the millenium as well as back in the 80's and early 90's, but our waves were lost to them pumping sand in, not 'taking' it out.

That photo is not photoshopped, some years, that is a daily occurence.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lalit View Post
    sorry to be ignorant but what do they do, or try to do when pumping sand? And how does it effect the break? I thought I heard at one point that Dewy beach was a decent spot but that the city dug out the sand right before the beach creating the shore break it has now? Is that it? I can't imagine why they do that as it does not seem good for anyone?

Also will they be pumping Indian River Inlet? I love that spot and would not like it to be intentionally messed up?

Again sorry for asking what be well known on this forum.
    good questions..

Dewey has been a fun and punchy wave at times in the past (kind of reminded me of OCMD)...even for a time in the 1990s AFTER nourishment when some finer grained sand was pumped onto the beach from Hens and Chicken Shoals, proving to me at least, that with the right sand beach nourishment isnt a surf killer. Complaints by fishermen, to the National Marine Fisheries Service, that the shoals borrow site was right on prime fishing grounds has eliminated that potential source of good sand for beaches.

The digging out you might be thinking about was mostly done in Rehoboth and Dewey last year where some gravel had accumulated in the deep water right off the edge of the beach and was removed with an excavator. IMO that little project had no effect on the surfing...the conditions were already horrible before the gravel was removed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Porto View Post
    This article is a year old but it explains the problems that this has caused for the lifegaurds:

http://www.capegazette.com/storiescu...njuries24.html
    I completely agree. Shorebreak is dangerous for everyone. Tourists try to bodysurf shorebreak and end up getting pounded headfirst into the beach and breaking their neck. I cringe everytime I see this in dewey/rehoboth.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    thats got nothing to do with the new bridge....they are pumping sand from the beach on the south side of the inlet to the beach on the north side because the jetties block the natural south to north flow of sand. Its been done for the last 20 years or so. ever notice the big red crane on the ss? Thats holding the other end of the pipe with the suction pump.
    Don't forget the pump house on the SS, I took the picture about 3 weeks ago; ironically all of that pumped sand is now gone. I was just at the inlet on Monday and the square foundation is already exposed. There was significant over-wash all the way to the concrete walkway.

I watched them once in Dewey - they pumped sand from the bar onto the beach. Result: Wider beach, No sandbar, and shorepound. Its never been the same since that time, sometime in the early 2000's

Quote Originally Posted by wet dreams View Post
    my alternative is to stop dredging or at least use better sand. Sometimes no action is the best action. Artificial reefs or maybe just throw 100 dollar bills in the water and see if they form a bar. Didn't say i was an expert just stating the obvious. I suppose you're a fan of futility
    So you'd rather let the ocean come in and destroy the buildings and the tourism industry along with it?

That's fine if you think that, but I'm sure you can see that that is not a viable alternative for the government to accept. (Unless they go broke).

I'm simply saying if you have a better alternative to what they are doing that would save money or do the job better exc exc. Do something to get the word out. Maybe they are doing this every year because they just don't know any better....

There is always posts complaining about how dumb they are for doing this but I've never seen anyone with a better idea who said they tried to tell the government the better idea. If you have a better idea put it together and use the forum to get some people behind it....

Artificial reefs doooood

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveHog View Post

So you'd rather let the ocean come in and destroy the buildings and the tourism industry along with it?

That's fine if you think that, but I'm sure you can see that that is not a viable alternative for the government to accept. (Unless they go broke).

I'm simply saying if you have a better alternative to what they are doing that would save money or do the job better exc exc. Do something to get the word out. Maybe they are doing this every year because they just don't know any better....

There is always posts complaining about how dumb they are for doing this but I've never seen anyone with a better idea who said they tried to tell the government the better idea. If you have a better idea put it together and use the forum to get some people behind it....
    There really isn't any permanent option, the situation will come to a point where sea level rise and erosion will inhibit any type of beach replenishment from being viable. This notion will probably occur within the next 50 years. The few property owners the engineering projects protect will be out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by WaveHog View Post

So you're a fan of dredging. got it.