LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Beach truck: Landrover vs. 4runner

I have seen some people on here before talking about rovers, 4runners, and other 4x4 beach trucks. does anyone have a perfered beach truck? any horror stories or sand driving advice?

i have an 06 4runner sport. it's an incredible vehicle. i take it on the beach a few times/yr and it handles perfectly. also is very good in deep snow and offroad. super reliable. highly highly recommended.

Images
    I've been a Jeep guy for the 12 years I've been allowed to drive. I can't imagine not driving a 4x4, on any surface. My dream 4x4 is the D90, although I wouldn't mind an old Land Cruiser or CJ either.

Chevy Suburban

I've got an '01 chevy suburban, it's got a 4x4, taken it on the sand a few times to fish and surf and it's great.. what it looses in being so heavy it makes up for in people and gear-hauling, i love it

Currently:'07 4Runner.
    Previously:'97 Durango, '91 Jeep Cherokee, '85 Jeep Cherokee

The 4Runner beats 'em all on sand as well as asphalt. (4.5 stars outta 5)
    Dugango was super comfortable. (2.5 stars)
    Both Jeeps were fun the '85 was a 4 cyc with not alot of giddy-up when loaded down with Knuckleheads and gear tho... ('91 Jeep 3.5 stars, '85 Jeep 2.5 stars)

thats some good input. everything I have heard about the 4runners, from top gear to what you guys are telling me, leads me to believe that its the right truck for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulfcoast7 View Post
    I have seen some people on here before talking about rovers, 4runners, and other 4x4 beach trucks. does anyone have a perfered beach truck? any horror stories or sand driving advice?
    If you want it to run forever, get an 85 4runner. It's the first year in fuel injection and last year with a solid front axle. The 22re engine is incredible. I've pulled one apart with over 200,000 miles and the machine marks were still on the cylinder walls...meaning there was virtually no wear. It has a removable hardtop, too. The only problem is you can hear it rust on a quiet night.

I'm a CJ guy, myself. I have a Scrambler, but I wouldn't drive it on the beach regularly. You may get away with that in a Wrangler, but the older Jeeps will rot away.

Images
    I got a 95 Landrover Disco1 184k on it and will drive it till they stop making parts for it . The truck handled in all types of situations well, Sand , Snow , Mud , Rock Ect. I never have gotten stuck anyplace in it yet and I have had it up the to the headlights in mud. Locking Diffs are what sold me , Its better to have 4 wheels digging and moving than one spining on each axle.
    Down side LR are really complex to fix and diag and they parts are expensive and hard to find at you AutoZones and Advance Auto parts. I usually just order all my parts from a LR store online so I knwo I am getting the right stuff

Other than that I think my LR is awsome if I had the cash I would get a Series1 LR from the 60 those things were unstopable

Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    I got a 95 Landrover Disco1 184k on it and will drive it till they stop making parts for it . The truck handled in all types of situations well, Sand , Snow , Mud , Rock Ect. I never have gotten stuck anyplace in it yet and I have had it up the to the headlights in mud. Locking Diffs are what sold me , Its better to have 4 wheels digging and moving than one spining on each axle.
    Down side LR are really complex to fix and diag and they parts are expensive and hard to find at you AutoZones and Advance Auto parts. I usually just order all my parts from a LR store online so I knwo I am getting the right stuff

Other than that I think my LR is awsome if I had the cash I would get a Series1 LR from the 60 those things were unstopable

I love the disco's. especially the SE II's. but i have had a BMW 325 ci and Im just tired, right now, of fixing and troubleshooting all the time. It is fun to figure that stuff out and make your own repairs, but I need something I can count on. I would, however, love to own one later in life.

Images
    this is in your area:

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/1964185499.html

i love these trucks!!!