LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Beach truck: Landrover vs. 4runner

I have seen some people on here before talking about rovers, 4runners, and other 4x4 beach trucks. does anyone have a perfered beach truck? any horror stories or sand driving advice?

i have an 06 4runner sport. it's an incredible vehicle. i take it on the beach a few times/yr and it handles perfectly. also is very good in deep snow and offroad. super reliable. highly highly recommended.

Images
    I've been a Jeep guy for the 12 years I've been allowed to drive. I can't imagine not driving a 4x4, on any surface. My dream 4x4 is the D90, although I wouldn't mind an old Land Cruiser or CJ either.

Chevy Suburban

I've got an '01 chevy suburban, it's got a 4x4, taken it on the sand a few times to fish and surf and it's great.. what it looses in being so heavy it makes up for in people and gear-hauling, i love it

Currently:'07 4Runner.
    Previously:'97 Durango, '91 Jeep Cherokee, '85 Jeep Cherokee

The 4Runner beats 'em all on sand as well as asphalt. (4.5 stars outta 5)
    Dugango was super comfortable. (2.5 stars)
    Both Jeeps were fun the '85 was a 4 cyc with not alot of giddy-up when loaded down with Knuckleheads and gear tho... ('91 Jeep 3.5 stars, '85 Jeep 2.5 stars)

thats some good input. everything I have heard about the 4runners, from top gear to what you guys are telling me, leads me to believe that its the right truck for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulfcoast7 View Post
    thats some good input. everything I have heard about the 4runners, from top gear to what you guys are telling me, leads me to believe that its the right truck for the job.
    what did top gear say about them?

i did months of research before buying this truck. i've had it for almost 2 years and it has been as solid as a rock. i usually bring it on some sort of road trip every 1-2 months up also, it seems to love long rides.

Quote Originally Posted by mOtion732 View Post
    what did top gear say about them?

i did months of research before buying this truck. i've had it for almost 2 years and it has been as solid as a rock. i usually bring it on some sort of road trip every 1-2 months up also, it seems to love long rides.
    here is the link

http://fliiby.com/file/50060/642pgtiqsz.html

google killing a toyota for more. Its on the hilux but...

Images

4runners rule

you cannot go wrong with the 4runner. great in the sand. most times i dont even need to let air out of the tires unless the sand is really loose. been 4x4ing in OBX (2-4 times a year) since 91 and NEVER gotten stuck.
    sold the first one with 225,000 miles on it and my current one 1999 has 203,000 miles on it and is running strong.
    Last edited by live2surf; Oct 7, 2010 at 03:24 PM.

I'll chime in with more love for the 4runner....I've got an '05 with 107k miles and have had no problems with it at all. It does great on the beach, snow, and is even fairly quiet and decent on the road. Best of all for me is that it just goes. Previous family car was an Audi wagon which was nothing but trouble, did a lot of research, bought the 4runner, and it was the best decision.