LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    wasnt there an 80 footer at cortez a little while back? i think it was in Riding Giants or something

Big wave surfing is a sport unto itself... Those guys are hellmen. they are maniacs... Not surfers.. They are speed and adrenaline junkies... Crazy.[/QUOTE]

Not trying to start an argument or anything, but they are surfers not just speed and adrenaline junkies. Mark Healey is a perfect example of this. Awesome surfer and actually one of only a few true watermen.

what makes you say 15ft wednesday?? i thought that movie had some pretty sick footage

check out the Miguel del Toro video......he surfs a 100+ ft. bomb down in Patagonia. it's insane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbETb6NKLCU

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Over-toe View Post
    check out the Miguel del Toro video......he surfs a 100+ ft. bomb down in Patagonia. it's insane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbETb6NKLCU
    this was discussed previously in the thread

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crestline3 View Post
    Big wave surfing is a sport unto itself... Those guys are hellmen. they are maniacs... Not surfers.. They are speed and adrenaline junkies... Crazy.
    Not trying to start an argument or anything, but they are surfers not just speed and adrenaline junkies. Mark Healey is a perfect example of this. Awesome surfer and actually one of only a few true watermen.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I had a poor choice of wording there. Let me retract and say that big wave surfers are INSANELY skilled surfers. I mean no disrespect... A better way to put it is, Big wave riders are a "different breed". I know a couple of them. A buddy of mine, he is like 35 now, a retired Navy Seal... Everything a massive NW swells comes down the coast, I get a phone call asking me if I want to boat out to killers and thors hammer because its gonna be 30ft+... Im like... uhhh, are you fu**ing nuts... absolutely not.... I went there with him on a 10 foot day and almost drop a loaf in my wetsuit.... I am just saying, in the past, ive pushed the limits and gone out on some big as$ days... but a real big wave surfer only comes out when the bouys are nuts... Like i said, a different breed. Maybe in my early 20s I would have had more interest in Big Wave riding, but I had a few 20ft face days and that is plenty big enough. I considered myself a big wave surfer at that point, until I met some real big wave surfers... They are fearless and out of their minds.... But hey, to each their own...Again, I meant no disrespect to big wave riders... Im just saying, you put a lot of those guys on a short board, they couldn't even through a decent cut back... They are water men... experts of the sea, but as far as surfer, its a ton different... Big wave surfing is really UGLY for the most part... its just an intense thing to watch... I get nervous jsut watching big wave surfers live... Its freaking nuts....