LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: shark sightings

shark sightings

with all the shark sightings on the east coast this season, was wondering if anyone has seen this shark repellent. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baWIoFYB59c Malibus doesn't carry it.

That was funny...Yeah I had an idea to invent a small disk that you put inside a board that sends out a sonar (similar to dolphins) that would repel sharks. Probably wouldnt work that well but Im sure alot of people would buy a surfboard with that option.

LOL, yeah i got some, its called- not going in the ocean.....

Shark leash

My buddy from the west coast bought this leash-like contraption that sends out an electrical signal. Apparently it's been tested and works great, but he told me it also shocks him from time to time, even through a wetsuit...I've spent 8 years in the water with no attacks, and I've been known to paddle out in the middle of the night on occasion. The shark bit is so exaggerated, not really worth getting all bent out of shape about it. I've sat in the lineup by myself as a big tiger shark cruised by; granted, I almost peed myself from fear, but the point is...he didn't even give notice. It's happened many other times too. Yes, there are attacks, and that totally sucks for people like Bethany Hamilton, but it's not going to keep me out of the water any time soon.

Live Aloha:You have any info on that electronic leash gizmo? The only time I am really uneasy is those solo moonlight sessions. Something like that would put my mind at ease.

shark sightings

You could probably log 10,000 hours driving, and 10,000 hours surfing, and you would probably be 10,000 times more likely to be in a car accident than have a shark attack you. I don't think its worth the time to worry about it (unless you live in one of the very few areas that have a history of shark problems)

I read somewhere that the electronics on the leash can actually attract sharks to the area, but that it will still deter the shark at the last minute from attacking the person with the leash.

Sucks for whoever they're surfing with I guess.

Da link

Quote Originally Posted by DJFresh View Post
    Live Aloha:You have any info on that electronic leash gizmo? The only time I am really uneasy is those solo moonlight sessions. Something like that would put my mind at ease.
    Here's the company website...
    http://www.sharkshield.com/Content/Products/

650 bones! That's pretty steep, especially for having to drag that thing around (it's a 2 m long and designed for scuba divers). The "NSN" (national stock number) tells me that military folks probably use it. SEALS maybe? Perhaps some spec war guys lurk on here and could let us know more?

Like I said before, personally I'm not interested. My moonlighting days are largely over anyway. I did that stuff specifically to face all those lingering fears about surfing sketchy reefs, etc. To put it in perspective, some guy got bit in Sandbridge last week...and that was the fourth recorded attack in the VA Beach area in recent history (also the first in a decade, if I remember right)...think about the ridiculous number of people who spend time in the water here. North End to Sandbridge and only four recorded attacks. I'll happily play those odds. Truth be told, if I'm gonna go young, it might as well be while doing what I love.

Quote Originally Posted by live aloha View Post
    Here's the company website...
    http://www.sharkshield.com/Content/Products/

650 bones! That's pretty steep, especially for having to drag that thing around (it's a 2 m long and designed for scuba divers). The "NSN" (national stock number) tells me that military folks probably use it. SEALS maybe? Perhaps some spec war guys lurk on here and could let us know more?

Like I said before, personally I'm not interested. My moonlighting days are largely over anyway. I did that stuff specifically to face all those lingering fears about surfing sketchy reefs, etc. To put it in perspective, some guy got bit in Sandbridge last week...and that was the fourth recorded attack in the VA Beach area in recent history (also the first in a decade, if I remember right)...think about the ridiculous number of people who spend time in the water here. North End to Sandbridge and only four recorded attacks. I'll happily play those odds. Truth be told, if I'm gonna go young, it might as well be while doing what I love.
    Thanks Man. But for $650, I'll cut back on the moonlight sessions and go with the odds.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    You could probably log 10,000 hours driving, and 10,000 hours surfing, and you would probably be 10,000 times more likely to be in a car accident than have a shark attack you. I don't think its worth the time to worry about it (unless you live in one of the very few areas that have a history of shark problems)
    it bothers me when people say that; because, if you are putting yourself out in the ocean you know that the sharks are going to be there and there is risk- the more you are out there the more likley it is. When you are surfing, it is even more likley. I mean im not one of those people who is like OMG your going surfing that means you will be attacked, but the more you do it the more you are putting yourself at risk.