LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 105

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ocean City, MD
    Posts
    1,013
    Images
    954

    Smile Years Surfing + Top Two spots

    I always have to smile when I hear thread posters commenting on how long they've been surfing and where they've found "awesome" waves, so let's just put it out there for everyone to see. Post yours here:

    When did you start surfing and how many years have you been surfing regularly?
    1. Started surfing in 1964 on a Royal Hawaiian pop-out by Dextra from Turco's Sport Center (WldWood) @ 14 in Cape May, then moved to OCM in '66, so I've been surfing for 46 years now. I lived through the short board revolution surfing on Weber Performers, Feather's, Mini-Feathers, Ski's, Vee-Bottoms, and Strato Series with Spyder Wright's surf team with Gary Ferguson, Dave Hartman and "Skill" Johnson.

    What are your top two favorite waves to surf and where would you really like to
    Surf that you haven't?
    2. All time favorite wave is La Libertad, El Salvador, and Lowers @ Trestles in CA comes in a close second. Haven't made it to HI yet, but I hope to before it's all over.

    This was from '74 (after 8 years of surfing) when I drove to La Libertad, El Salvador where Bob Rotterdam (Roberto) was starting to build his resort, Punta Rocas. Smoothies at Tienda Gloria were our sustenance, but I suspect they were being made with water from what we affectionately called "The Polio River," that created the point break beside it.


    Last edited by MDSurfer; Aug 23, 2011 at 11:58 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Wildwood ,Nj
    Posts
    2,957
    Images
    5
    Started Surfing in 1987 in Cape May & Wildwood been surfin for about 20 years



    Two places I have surf and would like???


    1. Rincon Santa barbara California.

    2.montauk ny

  3. #3
    Started surfing in 2004 while living on Chincoteague Island, VA
    (Assateague Island National Seashore)

    Favorites and Wish List?

    1. Point Judith, RI / Cerritos, Baja Sur

    2. Mundaka, Spain

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrophilic View Post
    Started surfing in 2004 while living on Chincoteague Island, VA
    (Assateague Island National Seashore)

    Favorites and Wish List?

    1. Point Judith, RI / Cerritos, Baja Sur
    2. Mundaka, Spain

    And to stay on-topic.
    Been surfing for 5-years, learned in North Florida (by accident?) I say that because on my very first job out of school, I was under a mentor, and mentor surfed during lunch a lot, and during the few months that I had to tag along with him he introduced me and semi-taught me how to surf. The rest is history. Surfed in Maui and California, but were not dedicated surf trips.

    1. Maui (is my favorite place so far, good/friendly vibes on the water)
    2. (Would love to surf) Fiji, Noosa Aus.
    Last edited by McLovin; Mar 7, 2011 at 03:26 PM.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post

    1. Maui (is my favorite place so far, good/friendly vibes on the water)
    Definitely, I surfed pretty much every spot in Maui and not once did I ever feel like I was not welcome, but instead made friends with the locals I met...super-rad island!!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    245
    great thread......goofy's unite......
    Started surfing on LBE, Surf City in 1983......I had a 5'8" Micket Munoz single fin, canary yellow and a 6'1" Hawaiian Surfboards single fin, green bottom with a 60's sunset sunburst fade on top....
    Best waves I've had, Oahu mid 90's, I lived in Aina Haina for 5 years.....surfed every side of that island and scored on every side...."The Circle" was my home spot for those years.....Sandy's was sick, V-Land/Leftovers with my heart in my throat, Waikiki for the 95 swell, Windward secret spots (will never tell)
    NJ from Sandy Hook to Cape May....too many good waves.....
    Nantucket in the late 80's...
    Central Florida, Fall, Mid/Late 80's...
    Point Noreaster, NSW, Austrailia in1998 with just me and a good freind...
    Whish List includes: Chicama Peru, Cloudbreak, Cloud 9, Indo, all of Central America, South Pacific, any and all lefts..
    I love rights if there are no lefts......

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    Definitely, I surfed pretty much every spot in Maui and not once did I ever feel like I was not welcome, but instead made friends with the locals I met...super-rad island!!!!
    I have to agree..I lived on Maui from '88 to 93' and mostly surfed Paukukalo and loved the people and the place. I've been surfing since I was 10 so 40+ years and happy to say it's my art and lifestyle. Nothing better to keep you healthy and young.

  8. #8
    15 years...started late at around 20 years old while living in central PA of all places.

    I haven't done too much travelling, but two of my best sessions were in Costa Rica.

    1. Boca Baranca on the first day of a new swell. My friend and I, 3 guys from FL, and two guys from CA and that was it. Longest rides I've ever had. We showed up the next day at sunrise hoping for a repeat and there were like 100 people already there. I have no Pics

    2. A toss up between a remote left point we found and surfed with no others except our large group, or a day we got lucky at Little Hawaii and surfed with our crew and just two others.




    I've also had some fabulous sessions in good old NJ.

    Wave I would like to surf? May sound weak, but Trestles without a crowd. Wave just looks so fun.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,205
    i started surfing in 1990 in my hometown of ocnj at the age of 9. so i guess it's 20 years now...jeeze, time flies!

    i'm hard pressed to pick an all-time favorite, but the places that come up when i think of places i've been that i want to go back to are these:

    1) chicken's, north male atolls, maldives. a really fun, rippable left reef pass. surfed it for the first time this august...so, so fun!

    2)emily's, morro negrito surf camp, panama. it's just a fun, playful left coral/cobble stone pointbreak.

    of course, i've had absolutely mind-blowing session at home, in hatteras, costa rica, & in california. in fact, if i were going to relocate, it would be to either northern san diego county, so i could make black's my home break, or to santa barbara or ventura counties, where i've heard it's somewhat less crowded.
    after missing 4 straight hurricane seasons while in college, however, i swore that i'd never miss another. that no matter what, i'd be home (in nj) for the fall. i've kept that promise for the last 7 years. there's really no where else i want to be at this time of year.

    my "spots to hit" list is rather lengthy:

    1) pavones. been to costa 3x & never made it that far south
    2) j-bay. i don't care that it's a right! i want to surf that wave!
    3) peru. i had the opportunity to go in 2008, but i had to back out b/c the engine fell out of my car.
    4) france. hossegor just seems so sick!
    5) new zealand. land of the long left pointbreak. what goofy footer doesn't want to go there?
    6)indo. 'nuff said.
    Last edited by njsurfer42; Oct 12, 2010 at 01:40 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Wildwood ,Nj
    Posts
    2,957
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    i started surfing in 1990 in my hometown of ocnj at the age of 9. so i guess it's 20 years now...jeeze, time flies!

    i'm hard pressed to pick an all-time favorite, but the places that come up when i think of places i've been that i want to go back to are these:

    1) chicken's, north male atolls, maldives. a really fun, rippable left reef pass. surfed it for the first time this august...so, so fun!

    2)emily's, morro negrito surf camp, panama. it's just a fun, playful left coral/cobble stone pointbreak.

    of course, i've had absolutely mind-blowing session at home, in hatteras, costa rica, & in california. in fact, if i were going to relocate, it would be to either northern san diego county, so i could make black's my home break, or to santa barbara or ventura counties, where i've heard it's somewhat less crowded.
    after missing 4 straight hurricane seasons while in college, however, i swore that i'd never miss another. that no matter what, i'd be home (in nj) for the fall. i've kept that promise for the last 7 years. there's really no where else i want to be at this time of year.

    my "spots to hit" list is rather lengthy:

    1) pavones. been to costa 3x & never made it that far south
    2) j-bay. i don't care that it's a right! i want to surf that wave!
    3) peru. i had the opportunity to go in 2008, but i had to back out b/c the engine fell out of my car.
    4) france. hossegor just seems so sick!
    5) new zealand. land of the long left pointbreak. what goofy footer doesn't want to go there?
    6)indo. 'nuff said.
    I have to agree there is no place better to be this time of year is NJ. I surfed for the past 3 days and it was probally some of the best sessions I have had in awhile . Not the biggest but it was clean chest to shoulder high waves with 4 ppl out that I know . Dont get any better than that in my book