LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Images

Kung Fu

". . . and this is how it is grasshopper, you have to have focus." Can nirvana be far behind?

and there it goes...

It's always interesting how this happens. But it does, always, happen....

Lost topic, off topic. Running through the trees.

Looking at the last couple of posts, this thread is now, officially, derailed...

Images

And. . . as the post originator. . .

I cordially invite you to diverge further. . . how are the waves in Arlington these days? Any tidal bore on the Potomac? Why not bring it back on topic, like expanding upon why you first bought a Bing?

Talking Potomac tidal bore...

Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    I cordially invite you to diverge further. . . how are the waves in Arlington these days? Any tidal bore on the Potomac? Why not bring it back on topic, like expanding upon why you first bought a Bing?
    I stayed on topic, ace. Or is it 'Grasshopper...?'

If you're officially changing topics ? lol, sure why not...

The Bing was all I could afford. It was used & dinged & tore up. But it worked. Perfect for broke college kid working in restaurants for the summer.

As for the tidal bore...dang, man, you're telling too many people ! Dawn patrol on the Potomac was awesome today. That tidal bore at the juncture of the Potomac & the Anacostia was working like a sick witch, perfect crumbly 6' beauties (rights) that took me all the way to Old Town. Legs are fried from the mile+ journey. Only 2 other guys out. We caught rides back up the river with the DC Police boat.

But don't tell anyone. It's a secret spot.

Images

Maybe, just maybe

Great Falls is working. But that's more of a spring break I guess. Heck of a drop though.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    Great Falls is working. But that's more of a spring break I guess. Heck of a drop though.
    Washington, DC: HQ of the United States of America Team USA Olympic Kayak & Olympic Canoe squads.

Most people think the teams are based out west. Nope. Right here in Class 5+ death trap rapids on the Potomac River.

Gotta go....tidal bore gettin' ready to froth...

The journey began in 1975 & never let up. 35 glorious years & still going strong (except for the knees on occasion). 1st board was a Steve Walden something or other w/ dings & ducktape. I will still charged w/ the short board when it ramps up & cruise w/ the long board when it's mellow & appropriate. 4-5 foot overhead Blacks Beach with my buddies & 40 dolphins surfing & jumping the waves was a memory I will never forget. Spent a winter on the North Shore back in 89 & surfed w/ Bradshaw & Erickson out at Kammies & Sunset. I experienced a 2 wave hold-down @ Allegator Rock that really shook me to the core & humbled me. Todd Chaser died out there some years later. Barbados has been one of my favorite spots. I would love to go deep into the South Pacific & surf Tuamoto or Rarotonga. More locally, Rhode Island's cobble stone pts.... At least once before I'm to old!!!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Washington, DC: HQ of the United States of America Team USA Olympic Kayak & Olympic Canoe squads.

Most people think the teams are based out west. Nope. Right here in Class 5+ death trap rapids on the Potomac River.

Gotta go....tidal bore gettin' ready to froth...
    For sure, I had the good fortune to attend the US Olympic kayak trials at Savage River in Western Maryland, but that was in preparation for the '76 Olympics. Damn I'm old.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundswell View Post
    The journey began in 1975 & never let up. 35 glorious years & still going strong (except for the knees on occasion). 1st board was a Steve Walden something or other w/ dings & ducktape. I will still charged w/ the short board when it ramps up & cruise w/ the long board when it's mellow & appropriate. 4-5 foot overhead Blacks Beach with my buddies & 40 dolphins surfing & jumping the waves was a memory I will never forget. Spent a winter on the North Shore back in 89 & surfed w/ Bradshaw & Erickson out at Kammies & Sunset. I experienced a 2 wave hold-down @ Allegator Rock that really shook me to the core & humbled me. Todd Chaser died out there some years later. Barbados has been one of my favorite spots. I would love to go deep into the South Pacific & surf Tuamoto or Rarotonga. More locally, Rhode Island's cobble stone pts.... At least once before I'm to old!!!!
    Amazing, thanks for sharing! I can only hope I'll still be healthy and stoked in 2040. :-)

I started surfing in 1977 @ 18 when I went to school in Daytona. First board was a 6'11" Sebastion Surfboards single fin, swallow tail. Spent 5 years in Fla and then 2 up in New England - spent the last 25 in Va, so I usually head to the Outer Banks for surf.

Traveled a bit Baja, SD, Santa Cruz/Monterey, Costa, Nica, Peru- still haven't been to Hawaii yet
    Been able to take a couple good surf trips a year over the last 7 or 8 years. Probably got some of my best waves @ empty point breaks in Nica in 2007.
    Still remember my first REAL hurricane swell - David in 79. Huge hollow barrels all day long!! Still brings a smile to my face thinking of pulling into those

Even as I get older and have to work harder to stay in shape to surf, I still love to surf as much as I ever did !. I have a good group of friends I have surfed with over the last 20 years.