LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

my senior thesis please respond

hello friends.

i am doing a senior thesis and would love a response from you.

What are the communicative responses surfers may engage in when confronted with the possibility of hurricane/tropical storm swells.

take this idea and write whatever you would like. any response short or long is greatly appreciated. thank you very much

Images
    swell period, swell height, wind direction/speed, swell direction, tidal times

not sure if this is what you're looking for but if you search the threads you'll find plenty of stuff about hurricanes

Thumbs up

Engage in.. Are you referring to basically conversation that would take place amongst surfers after hearing of a tropical swell on the way?

If this is the case, I think the universal word "stoked" would come to mind. Now if this was discussion among surfers I think that the first things to look for would be excitement, and then begin the process of how to plan for the best possible surfing conditions. Meaning, I would get on the horn with a surfing buddy, ask him if he has checked the forecast models for the swell, what are the winds looking like, also the tides, for areas that are supposed to see the swell and where we should go to, to possibly get the cleanest and least crowded areas. The main areas of communication would be discussing the direction and angle of the swell, then looking at the winds around a large area of breaks to see which break will have the best winds and tides for that swell.. Lastly bring into account crowd as a factor. " Hmmm, now I wonder where we should go with this 7ft at 14 sec. SE long period ground swell expected to peak at mid to rising high tide on Monday Sept 13 , predicted with NE winds at 10 knots for most of the south east coast and would be uncrowded?" That is where research and local knowledge comes in. So basically meteorology, geography and a bit of oceanography enter the discussion to score a good session. Hope this helps..
    Last edited by bfloyd; Oct 12, 2010 at 07:46 PM.

WB: C-street and Mase and Sweetwater and all sorts of chill places around WB. Its rad.
    Quote Originally Posted by hutch View Post
    hello friends.

i am doing a senior thesis and would love a response from you.

What are the communicative responses surfers may engage in when confronted with the possibility of hurricane/tropical storm swells.

take this idea and write whatever you would like. any response short or long is greatly appreciated. thank you very much
    Weak. A thesis is not a question. Your English skills are inferior.

My senior thesis about surfing blows yours away.

"Throughout its history, surfing, in all forms, has had an indelible impact on mainstream culture."

Quote Originally Posted by conway View Post
    Weak. A thesis is not a question. Your English skills are inferior.

My senior thesis about surfing blows yours away.

"Throughout its history, surfing, in all forms, has had an indelible impact on mainstream culture."
    Thats deep man

WB: C-street and Mase and Sweetwater and all sorts of chill places around WB. Its rad.
    Quote Originally Posted by somesurfer4 View Post
    Thats deep man
    It's open to interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by conway View Post
    It's open to interpretation.
    im feelin it

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutch View Post
    hello friends.
    communicative responses? i don't understand what your focus is.

Who are "they" responding to?

you left some empty voids in your description there.

Me to boss, "yeah I must have gotten some bad food from the Wendy's, can't make it in today so sick."

Images
    thanks for the responses.

let me clarify.

when i say communicative responses i mean just that.

what drives a surfer to spend money, time, and effort for a 2 second barrel and possible death especially during hurricane season. and why is the sport/art of surfing taken to such extremes. example: you wouldn't drive 8 hours to play basketball for a weekend when you can simply play on your home court. but, you would drive 8 hours to surf at the lighthouse where you might catch 3 good waves in a weekend.

this is not a science based research project it is an ethnography

and to CONWAY: thank you for your response