LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: College help

Quote Originally Posted by djones View Post
    +1

Almost a year out of undergrad and my biggest regret is not sustaining a 3.5...

I am lucky to have a job now but the job i ended up with is not top choice
    it helps if you go looking with no experience. GET AN INTERNSHIP. especially if you aren't a super scholar. I have a job while some of my 4.0 overachieving friends are still looking and slinging dinners.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djones View Post
    +1

Almost a year out of undergrad and my biggest regret is not sustaining a 3.5...

I am lucky to have a job now but the job i ended up with is not top choice
    Like Lee said, your GPA isn't as big of a factor as you would think. Granted it depends on your degree. But if you're in a technical major, an internship at a company doing real work will balance out your < 3.0 GPA

Additionally, GPA maybe important but you have to take in account of the quality of the institution from which you graduated. For example, a 2.5 GPA from Dartmouth is better than a 3.0 at University of Delaware

You're not exactly going to have pick of the litter with a GPA < 3.0

i studied math and econ and did 3 internships in the industry. its rough out there... gpa helps

AND if u want a good internship they definitely consider gpa
    Last edited by djones; Nov 11, 2010 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emptywave View Post
    Additionally, GPA maybe important but you have to take in account of the quality of the institution from which you graduated. For example, a 2.5 GPA from Dartmouth is better than a 3.0 at University of Delaware
    I disagree, and so do many employers. I know an employer that won't higher ivy league because he only gets snobs when he does. But back to your question, i know many employers that will most definitely take someone..lets say from Temple with a 3.3 than someone from Fordham with a 2.8, and in the end the guy that went to fordham is stupid in the end because he paid thousands of dollars more....but your example, Dartmouth is an exception because, well, its Dartmouth and has the highest out of college starting salary in the country; like 100k or something crazy like that. I'm not saying gpa isn't important, also

7. As someone who goes to an Ivy league school, I really don't think it has too much advantage over any other school when you're applying for jobs. The only advantage I've seen as a political science major at Penn is that some of the top firms (Goldman, Morgan Stanley, JP, Bain, BCG, etc.) recruit HEAVILY here, and so if you have a stellar (>3.7) GPA, you will have an easier time getting your foot in the door. If you're average to above average, though, the Ivy League bit doesn't really help at all.

I do have a buddy up at Penn State who's graduating with no debt and a 90K offer plus a 20K bonus... niché engineering majors are SOUGHT AFTER. Just sayin'.