LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: College help

Accounting/auditing (sounds boring but one needs to break through the sterotypes; needed everywhere); nursing and allied health fields (schedule won't be as flexible but you location flexibility is good); teaching, for all the anti-union hype, is really a poor paying job with only average benefits and comes loaded with overhead.

here is a sampling of my entire group of friends from college, a few years later....

1.) Liberal arts = post grad restaurant worker. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY ON LIBERAL ARTS unless you KNOW that your are headed for graduate studies

2.) Engineering - all of my engineering buddies are bringing home new cars to new homes. Engineering pays. I went mechanical, but the computer science guys make like 20g's more straight out of school.. food for thought.

3.) Teachers are overworked and underpaid. Its a noble calling, but you will get the same pay and bennies without student loans working for police / fire departments.

4.) Business & management.... really hit or miss. Some of my business friends are killing it, some are still slinging dinners. Make sure you study a nitche area or you will just be another salesmen... and there are a lot of hungry salesmen out there...

5) Trade schools - lead to a better life than you may think. We will see a swing in the next few decades where skilled trades start making a LOT more money. Im not talking laborers though, you need to pick a trade and push through an apprenticeship if your going this route.

Stay in state, dont rip off your parents. Be careful about borrowing too much $ to pay back later... because later comes soon, sooner than later, if you follow...
    Last edited by leethestud; Oct 25, 2010 at 01:51 PM.

Engineering is the "gnarliest" study I live a block from the beach in Dewey 5 miles from southside

Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    here is a sampling of my entire group of friends from college, a few years later....

1.) Liberal arts = post grad restaurant worker. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY ON LIBERAL ARTS unless you KNOW that your are headed for graduate studies

2.) Engineering - all of my engineering buddies are bringing home new cars to new homes. Engineering pays. I went mechanical, but the computer science guys make like 20g's more straight out of school.. food for thought.

3.) Teachers are overworked and underpaid. Its a noble calling, but you will get the same pay and bennies without student loans working for police / fire departments.

4.) Business & management.... really hit or miss. Some of my business friends are killing it, some are still slinging dinners. Make sure you study a nitche area or you will just be another salesmen... and there are a lot of hungry salesmen out there...

5) Trade schools - lead to a better life than you may think. We will see a swing in the next few decades where skilled trades start making a LOT more money. Im not talking laborers though, you need to pick a trade and push through an apprenticeship if your going this route.

Stay in state, dont rip off your parents. Be careful about borrowing too much $ to pay back later... because later comes soon, sooner than later, if you follow...
    Totally agree with #5. I was reading some things last week about how the US has way too many college grads in 'useless' majors and trades are the way of the future. It's all about getting a job when you get out which is not what most schools will tell kids. Grad school is even worse since with the exception of very few majors, grad school adds a huge debt burden with very little return.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    Totally agree with #5. I was reading some things last week about how the US has way too many college grads in 'useless' majors and trades are the way of the future. It's all about getting a job when you get out which is not what most schools will tell kids. Grad school is even worse since with the exception of very few majors, grad school adds a huge debt burden with very little return.
    The medium age of long haul truckers is something like 65 years old, and its a super important industry. I know a 25 year old trucker who comes home to a 3 story house and a garage full of harleys, there is some incentive for those lack-luster jobs out there. Keep an open mind and a numb ass....

I also know a hvac tech that takes home more than most engineers.

Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    The medium age of long haul truckers is something like 65 years old, and its a super important industry. I know a 25 year old trucker who comes home to a 3 story house and a garage full of harleys, there is some incentive for those lack-luster jobs out there. Keep an open mind and a numb ass....

I also know a hvac tech that takes home more than most engineers.

i'm finding all this talk of material possessions, houses, etc...very interesting. i guess it's just a matter of priorities, but i'm quite happy to make a bit less $$ (& do...i'm a 3rd year teacher), but live a bike ride from my local break. sure, it's gonna take longer for me to be able to afford to buy a home rather than rent, & that home will be more expensive than a similar home inalnd, but the trade-off is that i'm a bike ride from my local beach & can surf whenever there's waves...i don't need to "drop everything" to get in the water regularly.
    i'm saving up for a house, have a decent quiver of boards (& can afford to buy/sell almost at whim), a solid little jeep that gets me where i need to go, & get to travel pretty frequently––all goals i set for myself when i was a senior in high school. the added bonus is that, as a teacher, i can influence kids' lives for the better & make a difference in their lives. it's a simple life (relatively), but a happy one.

I go to salisbury. its only half hour from ocean city. md. sounds like your interested in something medical. they have a really good nursing program if your into that. i personally am doing exercise science and then going on to a physician's assistant program somewhere, probably UMES which is ten minutes down the road.

Images
    UNCW ftw Im majoring in environmental science here right now

Quote Originally Posted by retrosurfer View Post
    has anyone visited or gone to Stockton College in south jersey?
    live right there pretty good smaller college lot of surf spots close by and mountains arent far either

unless your parents or someone else is paying I wouldn't go . student loans will pretty much ruin your life aka credit score . In highschool you have all this pressure to go to college and get started on a career but what do people really know at 18 .. not much but they expect you to make choices that directly affect your life . if i was you i would go wait tables and bartend for 4 or 5 years till i knew what i really wanted to do , then i would go to school because after 25 i think you are considered an adult student and your tuition is reduced a fair amount . ..I am not saying don't go to college i just think people should remember that they have their entire lives to work and find a career.