LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    469
    i don't think anyone is irrational and i seriously doubt if this attack will keep anyone on this forum out of the water. i just think it's an interesting conversation. the psychology of hanging out (literally) in places where you're not at the top of the food chain is fascinating to me. i admit i don't spend much time thinking about sharks in va beach but when i'm surfing on cape cod with seals all around or down in panama where i've seen hammerheads and bigass barracudas, i do. and it makes me wonder what other people think about when they're out there. i appreciate zach's candor. seems like an intelligent dude who thinks about things and has the ability to share his thoughts without the macho/dismissive bs of many other posters on this forum.

  2. #12
    I try not to think about it, but the thought randomly pops into my head from time to time, and a cold chill runs down my back. I even imagined how a shark would initially stalk me, and the violence that would happen when it finally decides to attack, and when the attack is just out of nowhere. I just have a rule that I promised myself and my wife, and that's never to surf alone.

    But there is still that feeling that everybody here probably get: if it looks fun, the risks just disappear from my head.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MD - VA
    Posts
    2,352
    Quote Originally Posted by cap2nd View Post
    I love shark attacks, I love the way it inspires irrational fear and keeps people out of the water. GO JAWS GO!!!
    Take up lawn bowling.
    Hey Jackass, shut the f*** up. Get a clue. That kid's family doesn't need to hear your poseur, faux macho crap. You wouldn't be woofing in front of the kid's family. So don't do it here.

    Tell you what: Just tie a porterhouse to your leg & surf a break off Durban. The subsequent silence will be a good thing for intelligent humans.

    Real tough guy you are.

  4. #14
    you enter the ocean, you enter the food chain.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    170
    Images
    2
    I firmly believe that a boogie borader, a weak swimmer, a female with her period are all easier and more attractive targets than a full grown man on a 7' + surfboard...
    I think a shark likes to be safe when it attcks and a boogie boarder looks like an easy and safe meal for an 18" shark.
    However, it is obvious that for an 18' shark, even a big guy on a long board may look like a safe meal.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    405
    damn. did you read that? the friend said he screamed "Help me dude!", before he got drug under. man, thats sad

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    I try not to think about it, but the thought randomly pops into my head from time to time, and a cold chill runs down my back. I even imagined how a shark would initially stalk me, and the violence that would happen when it finally decides to attack, and when the attack is just out of nowhere. I just have a rule that I promised myself and my wife, and that's never to surf alone.

    But there is still that feeling that everybody here probably get: if it looks fun, the risks just disappear from my head.
    dude, your so right man. i get the same goosebumps sometimes. the odds are slim dude, but its all on the sharks. its up to them. no fightin it. they say your dead, your dead. thats the only thing that scares me

  8. #18
    It is terrible about that kid, damn that's got to be the worst way to go...you won't find me surfing in water where there are seals, though...in that case, I'm not so sure the reward is worth the risk!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In a state of flux
    Posts
    2,976
    Quote Originally Posted by idsmashh View Post
    dude, your so right man. i get the same goosebumps sometimes. the odds are slim dude, but its all on the sharks. its up to them. no fightin it. they say your dead, your dead. thats the only thing that scares me


    It's not just sharks, it's life. You never know when your time is up.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    It's not just sharks, it's life. You never know when your time is up.
    he speaks the truth. whenever i start to get sketched in the line-up i think about all of the people who die on the interstate on the way to/from work. Or those poor sick kids wasting away in childrens hospitals. I wish we could all be so fortunate to die in the water rather than from a heart attack or some kind of Fu$ked up cancer one day.

    "Its OK to die doing something that you love"