LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: purist boards

Quote Originally Posted by cresto4 View Post
    boggles my mind that you would care. kind of judgmental for a self-described 'christian' aren't we?
    looks like you two have some baggage....

ill stop this Christian vs atheist sh!t before it starts- you both suck for thinking that I (or we) give a damn how you live your lives. Keep it to yourselves. How about politics? Lets have a long winded argument with the outcome of... oh wait... we are all screwed!

SURFBOARDS...?

huh?
    no,it boggles my mind that a highly skilled surfer rides a surface or an nsp.
    how is that judgemental or have anything to do with me being a Christian?
    boggles the mind means i see these guys in cape may and wonder why?
    i care because it seems so unusual.
    i wonder.
    mind-boggling.
    don't usually see the top guys riding those.
    ok?

Lee,i never mentioned being a Christian and i don't know the dude...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    Good points BUT I think you have to include the 'lemming factor'. Alot of people buy boards because they see it hyped in the mags or vids so that's all they know, or they are status seekers who just have to have what the top pros ride.
    True, of course this is a business. Everyone's 'branded' to some extent. It's the goal of any business to make you ;want' their product. The next goal is to make you think you 'need' their product. The final step in superb marketing is when their product becomes the 'destination' for the consumer.

Surfing's no different, it's just packaged in a different candy bar wrapper. Heck, the only thing that the surf mags ever do is flog products, that's all they really have ever done. Over 60% of the 'content' of any surf mag is ads. People, esp younger consumers, suck it up. What's Slater wearing. It's only cool to have all-white boards. Rip Curl black shorts because Da Hui does it in the ads. Hyper Flex $ 80.00 board shorts 'cause that's what Machado sports in the print ads. Amazing.

Surf businesses work hard every day to get consumers branded. Just like other businesses.
    Meaning, you 'Xerox' something you don't copy it.
    You 'Fedex' it you don't overnight it.
    You ask for a 'Kleenex' not for a tissue.
    These companies are Mission Accomplished in marketing when these types of aspects are achieved.

Who has ever ordered a Rum & Pepsi....?

As an example ? One of these days, people might say hey man I'm going to get my CI, instead of saying hey man I'm going to get my surfboard.......and everyone will know what they mean ........now that's powerful stuff in the biz world....

My other comment in this interesting thread is:
    If surfboards were mass-produced & machine-cut, and always had been...would anyone care now ? Would anyone go the other way & start hand-shaping ....? Just something to kick around....

I don't have a problem with machine cut per se, my biggest issue is that MOST big name brands don't work as well in our waves as a custom from a local shaper. I'm hoping that boards will be like cars. You want a big name board that works ok (like a Nissan Z) but the guy who REALLY knows boards will go for the hand-built, finely tuned board from the local shaper (ala Ferrari).

As far as the OP goes..it boggles my mind too that someone who really knew their stuff would would ride an NSP.

if they had always been machine-shaped they wouldn't be any good because the machine bases them off of the past 50 years of trial-and-error hand-shaping success,so i can't answer your question,but if your premise were possible,then,no,no one would care,and no one would shape by hand.
    my shaper makes the entire board by hand, just for me and the waves I want it for and the way I want to ride them. a machine ain't doing that for my 6'5" 250 lbs in new jersey beachbreak

cresto, noted.

How do you guys feel about CI? Your only fooling yourselves if you think Al touches your boards at all. He made one whip, programmed his machines, and gets back to helping kelly and mochado pretend they are soul shapers. At least he keeps it all stateside... or maybe thats what justifies the $700 price tag...?

look closely at most companies that make a pro model board, it likely says "designed in usa, made in _____stan" along the stringer.

I have rented and rode a 5'10" 7s superfish in perfect head high playa grande and it was a damn good time. 3 days later rented another 5'10" superfish down in jaco and had the exact same feel. I would never buy one, but still, hard to argue with results.

Who knows, maybe those dudes killing it on pop-outs were traveling?

these weren't 7s,they were surface and nsp,but it is possible....hmm...really good point...

by the way,yankee,your last post was fantastic,thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    .... Its called technology.... Guys arent going to be hand shaping logs one by one out on their deck and become Al Merrick. You gotta keep up with the times if you do it as a business.
    Exactly, Zach. It's good to see an objective view on this topic. Usually, I find the negative comment's about them more emotional than factual. I don't own any because any shape that I'd be interested in is too close in price to the real thing.

Two points, above all others, are common complaints made by pop-out critics. The first being they're "soulless." Honestly? I mean...really? Coming from guys that purchase fiberglass and foam, it seams a bit like that rock comes from the guy in the glass house. Most surfboards these days are made from preformed blanks, pretty much dictating the rocker and planshape. Then, they get often are shaped by somebody the buyer doesn't know or even spoken with. After the board is hand-shaped, it gets it's prefabbed fins and fin boxes. I know there's caveats to this generalization, but this is more often the case.

I'm sure, if we dialed it back 60 years, our foam & fiberglass boards under 9' would be considered just as soulless by balsa riders. 60 years before that, if you didn't shape an Olo or Alaia out of Ulu, Koa or Wili-Wili wood in full ritual, it was soulless. Funny how times can change the meaning of a word.

The second point is they steal jobs from working class shapers....specifically AMERICAN shapers. This point, I completely agree with. Personally, it's just unacceptable that surfshops put these on their floors.....even Firewire. They tried, but the labor & enviromental costs would've required the board costs to into the 4 figures range. So now, they get computer cut and hand-laid glass...overseas. In my opinion, foreign pop-outs shouldn't be able to be found in a true surf shop. Costco, perhaps? If they're as good as the advocates say they are, they won't mind picking up their board 2 isles over from the 120 oz can of baked beans they're buying for the cookout.

The truth is pop-outs are here to stay. Who knows? In 60 years, maybe they'll be precision CAD boards that have been custom designed to your style & size. Maybe they'll perform better than any hand-shaped boards ever did and their owners will be calling the new hovercraft surfboards "soulless." On the other hand, there will always be local hand-shapers.....and as long as their designs work for me and the prices are within my means, they'll get my dollar. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Ray F.; Oct 27, 2010 at 08:24 PM.

Thumbs up

That's appreciated.

I'm getting a lot out of reading this thread, esp this page. You guys make tremendous points. Good stuff.