LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: purist boards

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    That's appreciated (from Beachbreak)

I'm getting a lot out of reading this thread, esp this page. You guys make tremendous points. Good stuff.
    And that point "if they had always been machine-shaped they wouldn't be any good because the machine bases them off of the past 50 years of trial-and-error hand-shaping success..."

Damn, that's a cool thought process at work.

2. When I was a grom the popout du jour was an Aitken and man, were those boards whack. They had a seam all the way around the rails from the mold that was like a razor blade.
    As much as I hate to admit it, some of the newer stuff like FireWire seems well built and functional. I just prefer hand shaped and glassed boards built in the good old USA.

Images
    Just to touch on the CI and merrick comments. He is probably the most successful shaper in world history, both in performance and on the business side. Think about how many WORLD titles have been won on his boards. The best of the best for almost 2 decades have been trusting this guy... So, the reason behind his machine work, was because Slater and the world's best REQUESTED that he do it. They all agreed that the most minor difference in any part of a board is just enough to make it perform differently, so when slater just destroyed J-Bay one day on a custom Merrick, he goes back to al and says hey, I want 6 of those, EXACTLY the same...

And even the store board CI's seem to be high quality from me. I dont ride or buy them, but I have tried them out. I have no issue with him. He monopolized the industry a long time ago. There are merricks on every coast, in every nation really. Internationally.

So, in his case, he got too big too fast, so he has to use machine. The demand for his services became impossible... And once everyone on the winner podiums had Merricks under their arms, every kid, in every coutry wanted one. Who wouldnt want the boards that the best of the best live by. I think that speaks volumes for Al Merrick...

I just feel like I agree with some of people points against his company, but I can't logically oppose him without feeling like im just being a hater.

Quote Originally Posted by beachbreak View Post
    once in cape may we were all blown out of the water by a popout longboard,not even really a surfboard in my purist opinion.SURFACE.
    Then again in cape may recently by a guy on a short fishy nsp.
    this is unbelievable;they work,i guess,sort of,but why would anyone,especially these two older guys,who are obviously skilled, ride this popout junk?
    Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    yeah, this goes A LOT DEEPER than just surfboards.
    that being said, I wouldnt ride one, but most of those pop-outs are cnc'd within a hundredth of an inch to be "perfect"my old man shaped 90% of my quiver and they are far from perfect. I wouldnt have it any other way.
    not saying i'm good or anything but ive rented my share of Bics over the years on trips where i didnt bring a board, and if you can surf you can surf. Like Lee said, they may be popouts but they are pretty much perfect GENERIC boards. They ride better than some crappy home shaped boards i''ve ridden with bad rocker and fins in the wrong place. There are plenty reasons why guys that can surf would be riding sh!tty popouts...I've paddled out on Liquid Shredders and BZ softtops just for the fuk of it...bottom line if they werent getting in your way, who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    So, in his case, he got too big too fast, so he has to use machine. The demand for his services became impossible...
    I dont think CI got too big too fast...they've been huge for like 25 years...i think using machines to 95% shape a blank makes a lot of sense. The first 90% of the foam removed froma blank in hand shaping a board is done in long sweeping even motions with a planer that can probaly be done as accuratly by a machine with less repetitive motion issues, or at least reproduced more effectively with automation.
    Last edited by scotty; Oct 27, 2010 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray F. View Post
    The second point is they steal jobs from working class shapers....specifically AMERICAN shapers. This point, I completely agree with. Personally, it's just unacceptable that surfshops put these on their floors.....even Firewire.
    i'm confused, you've got the Geoff McCoy avator, McCoy quote in your tagline, but it is unacceptable for a Nev Hyman shaped firewire to be sold locally because it steals jobs from AMERICAN shapers. Whats the diff?

America doesnt make anything anymore kinda sad
    Last edited by 1vin; Oct 28, 2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: not relevent

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    i'm confused, you've got the Geoff McCoy avator, McCoy quote in your tagline, but it is unacceptable for a Nev Hyman shaped firewire to be sold locally because it steals jobs from AMERICAN shapers. Whats the diff?
    Don't be confused. My McCoy Nugget is shaped by Greg Pautsch. A few decades ago, Geoff came to America and set up shop in Newport, CA for a while, then returned to Austrailia. One of the shapers that shaped under the McCoy label during that stay was Greg Pautsch. McCoy was convinced that G.P. was worthy of shaping board's to McCoy specs and signed him on as his shaper in the United States. My money went to an American that purchased US Blanks & shaped/glassed it in Newport, CA. Perhaps I paid $100 above the retail for a surfboard for loyalties? Maybe more? I don't know. I don't know what loyalties Greg pays Geoff and I don't care. An American shaper and an American glasser got paid for their labor.

http://www.revolutionsurfer.com/prod...ewcat&catid=15

So......the difference is Firewire has nothing more to do with American shapers or workers than Bic, Tufflite or any other off shore made boards. My McCoy, however, employed an American shaper & glasser. The avatar and quote were free (and don't replace the American flag or Pledge of Allegiance), so nobody loses on that deal. Thanks for letting me clear that up.
    Last edited by Ray F.; Oct 28, 2010 at 01:40 AM.

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    you know i once owned a tuflite merrick flyer good board very tough lasted me 3 years the guy i bought from lasted him 2 years so its gone through 5 years of constant abuse they are defiently worth the money upfront as it will last year longer than a standard pu board. but you can also get a custom shaped local board in epoxy as well which is wat im doing now.

But everyone must remember this we are in a recession so if someone goes out and buys a popout its gonna last them and they will get there money out of it in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray F. View Post
    Don't be confused. My McCoy Nugget is shaped by Greg Pautsch. A few decades ago, Geoff came to America and set up shop in Newport, CA for a while, then returned to Austrailia. One of the shapers that shaped under the McCoy label during that stay was Greg Pautsch. McCoy was convinced that G.P. was worthy of shaping board's to McCoy specs and signed him on as his shaper in the United States. My money went to an American that purchased US Blanks & shaped/glassed it in Newport, CA. Perhaps I paid $100 above the retail for a surfboard for loyalties? Maybe more? I don't know. I don't know what loyalties Greg pays Geoff and I don't care. An American shaper and an American glasser got paid for their labor. The avatar and quote were free.

So......the difference is Firewire has nothing more to do with American shapers or workers than Bic, Tufflite or any other off shore made boards. My McCoy, however, employed an American shaper & glasser. Thanks for letting me clear that up.
    right on. i was just curious + thought all McCoy's were Australian made. I've always kind of liked the Nugget shape and the shorter/wider template.