LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Vote

How much other stuff can they cut out of their budgets to EASILY come up with firemen and police money?

As far as teachers, if they accepted merit based pay then I have no problems paying them more but I have big problems doing a guaranteed raise for a sh*tty teacher.

Images
    In case you didn't know where you are supposed to vote today...

http://your****ingpollingplace.com/

You are sadly mistaken if you think your vote counts or that you are voting for change. In the two party system, the people of this country get f***ed. Go vote if you are so inclined, but it wont bring any change to DC. It doesn't matter what party is in office.

Images
    i hate politics, and my toenails need trimmin'

i hate politics,toenail trimming is important for surfing,there are still two politics threads at once,and i'm going to vote because i am an American

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    How much other stuff can they cut out of their budgets to EASILY come up with firemen and police money?

As far as teachers, if they accepted merit based pay then I have no problems paying them more but I have big problems doing a guaranteed raise for a sh*tty teacher.
    Merit-based pay sounds good but in practice is very hard to implement and is full of red tape (time consuming). Not quite the panacea people expect. There are many unintended consequences. On the other hand there are a hundred "merit pay" systems out there - the "fairest" are often the most complex.

One can argue that the real challenge in K-12 education is not merit pay or unions, but recruiting highly qualified people to teach and then to allow them to teach instead of expecting them to babysit and be law enforcement officers and med techs.

yes,if they did that now only pc kissasses would get merit pay,and good teachers would be the first to be let go and the last to get a raise

Quote Originally Posted by rodndtube View Post
    Merit-based pay sounds good but in practice is very hard to implement and is full of red tape (time consuming). Not quite the panacea people expect. There are many unintended consequences. On the other hand there are a hundred "merit pay" systems out there - the "fairest" are often the most complex.

One can argue that the real challenge in K-12 education is not merit pay or unions, but recruiting highly qualified people to teach and then to allow them to teach instead of expecting them to babysit and be law enforcement officers and med techs.
    I agree with ya there Rod. Make them accountable and then get the hell out of their way.

this is my opinion of teachers right here.

9th grade algebra class[or was it 10th or 11th? i can't remember, because i failed it over, and over, and had to take it three straight years!] the teacher announces to the class

''this class is doing terrible. the highest grade in this class right now is a d+ you students should be ashamed. whats your problem?'' after that i always thought back to mr miyagi's quote

''no such thing as bad student, just bad teacher''.

while i don't agree completely with that statement i think when the whole class is getting a d or poor you gotta look to the teacher. when no one in the class has above a d average then you gotta point to the teacher. i wish merit pay could be worked out. none of this automatic 4% pay raise a year though. i don't too many people who have gotten raises since 2007. the ones who have were really nothing significant. since 2007 though these people some who deserve it, and other who don't have had their pay raised 10%-12% thats what i don't like. the only reason i'm making significantly more now than i did in 07 is because i have my own business, and am the sole proprietor. i also was unemployed most of 2007.