LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

stale surfing sugestions?

I'm in a slump. My surfing feels stale. Not sure how to turn it around...fins?...a different board?...just surf through it?...back off it for a while?...hit the skate park? What do you guys do when your surfing feels stale and contrived?

SIngle fin short board.

surf with different people and if you surf alone surf at a different spot

watch mad surf videos

dont just watch it, but look at how they are doing it

try and absorb there style

all of the above...then go on a surf trip someplace warm & tropical.

i've found that, more than anything, traveling as frequently as possible not only keeps surfing from becoming "stale", but helps me appreciate my home breaks more. even if you just take a road trip someplace else, it becomes fresh & exciting again. grab a couple buddies for a long weekend & head up to RI or nova scotia. hop a cheap flight to PR for the weekend. break out of the "3 days of waves, 3 weeks of flat" cycle.
    Last edited by njsurfer42; Nov 2, 2010 at 10:38 AM.

take a break or surf through it. When I get like that I usually surf through it and once it breaks through I surf better than ever.

surfing is 90% mental, 20%physical, and the rest is luck. You probably just need to change your conditioner, great hair never hurts either. If that doesnt work, try SUP- it sucks so much that you will die to be on your shortboard making turns again.

are you in smithfield or micronesia? smithfield i'd understand the stale - but micronesia?! what island are you on? seems like there would be a ton of exploring to do. that always keeps things fresh.

pohnpei, anyone?

http://www.gadling.com/2007/05/17/su...ei-micronesia/

i'm refreshed just to hear someone admit staleness...there's so many other guys need to recognize it!
    i believe just realizing,recognizing,identifying and thinking and writing about it will bring you around.
    also what ray says,single fins,fish,eggs,longboards all make it fun again when you get into a rut.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbreak View Post
    i'm refreshed just to hear someone admit staleness...there's so many other guys need to recognize it!
    i believe just realizing,recognizing,identifying and thinking and writing about it will bring you around.
    also what ray says,single fins,fish,eggs,longboards all make it fun again when you get into a rut.
    yeah I agree I like to try different shapes or get out of my comfort zone far as boards. who knows you migh find a new shape you like and get a new board from it