Regardless of what pills were found, it doesn't matter...he still was an unbelievably talented surfer and family man...It makes me sick to think that people want to rush to judgment and call him a junkie...give me a break, he was a 3-time world champ...he was ill, I'm sure he had prescription drugs, so would anyone in his shoes. We are finally getting some solid swell this weekend, I think we should all keep him in our hearts and minds when paddling out, even if he wasn't your favorite surfer or thought he was too cocky, he was a human being and we are all flawed in some way or another.
My deepest sympathy goes out to the Iron's family and friends...
sure he was not an "addict" but popping to many pills at the time of being supersick, wasnt a smart move. RIP
It was apparently his second time getting dengue fever, and getting it your second time is a lot worse. It causes extremely painful muscle and joint pain and intense headaches. I'm guessing he couldn't take the pain and popped a little too much. he was getting back on track enjoying the tour again. tragic
"I've had my fair shares of hills and valleys, but my life's been radical and exciting. Stuff that kings would die to do. Straight up, ****en A. The lifestyle we've got and the life I've led since I was 17, I can't even tell my friends. I try and tell stories and they think I'm making it up or saw it in a ****ing movie.
Straight up. It's the life I wanted since I caught my first wave."
Dengue Fever is bad, but very common in tropical regions. My wife has had it several times and basically everyone who has grown up in tropical regions has. The AP said they found Xantax and Ambien in his room, and he was found dead in his hotel room, so sounds like an accidental overdose. He probably couldn't sleep and took too much, so sad. He was definitely one of the best.
Methadone is a synthetic opiate that is mainly used to ween people off of an opiate addiction (Heroin, Oxy, Perc) and is prescribed by a doctor.
Methamphetamines are stimulants that are deffinatly not prescribed by a doctor.
Both are abused recreationaly and are very dangerous and addictive. Methadone is basically a legal alternative to heroin and other illegal opiates.
Andy was found with Methadone in his room supposedly.
You might not be able to find Methamphetamine at your local pharmacy, but there are plenty of alternative Amphetamines which are prescribed(Aderol). It is very sad to see another victim of the pharmaceutical corporations.