LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mOtion732 View Post
    See an allergist. Trust me
    Yes, I agree... You might have allergies.

I have problems when I surf too, because I am often congested due to allergies. Then, when I surf, I often get water trapped in the sinuses, which magnifies everything.

If you think you might have allergies, getting the allergies treated should help you out tremendously.

But, regardless, using a neti-pot to flush your nasal passages is helpful. Also, if you have any problems with your ears, you can use ear plugs and/or dry/disenfect your ears out after every session with a 1 to 1 mix of alcohol and vinegar (or some use hydrogen peroxide).

One more thing, after a surf session, try to get that post nasal drip going by just bending over for a minute or two. That will flush out the water that is trapped in there.

Try these steps, and hopefully you'll find some relief from the sinus infections... I know how you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post

One more thing, after a surf session, try to get that post nasal drip going by just bending over for a minute or two. That will flush out the water that is trapped in there.

Try these steps, and hopefully you'll find some relief from the sinus infections... I know how you feel.
    I get that post nasal drip every single time lol, it feels like weird but i really dont care what happens as long as im in one piece and I have a good session lol

Yo from the looks of your pictures I'm guessing you surf ventnor/AC area. You should try to stay out of Atlantic City cause the water is pretty dirty there IMO. I get sinus infections when I go there after it rains (not sure if the runoff has anything to do with it). Other beaches may have cleaner water which may or may not lesson the likelihood of you getting sick. But I totally hear you about how much they suck

I live with sinus infections for 3/4 or the year. its completely worth one good ride. I use nasonex witch is good. it really breaks down everything.

Its that yellow foam in NewJersey caused by partially treated human waste. Most municipalities cannot handle the influx of the summer crowds. Though they will never reveal that to us. I know, I grew up in Ocean City Nj from 1960 -2000 and saw that Ocean quality deteriate over that span. I don't care how good it gets I have a hard time surfing in that water. Now OBX is so freaking clean on the other hand. Makes me never want to leave this place.

never surf again

i surf coast of oc md and assateague and i always have sinus issues. i just learned that i have h-pylori, a nasty bacteria in the stomach that causes ulcers. since the origin is thought to be water, food, saliva and feces it is quite possible i got it from the ocean. others need to be aware of this as 3 out of 4 people have it. my passion is surfing and i dont see anything stopping me from continuing. i hope you suck it up and start using a netipot and other holistic means to help your problem. if you stop surfing you wont be happy.

buy a Netipot. been around forever n works wonders. I use one and it works

I only get sick or messed up if I surf during or the day after a large amount of rain. If I do go out during these days I make sure to at least wear a hood. It won't completely protect you but it will keep out most of the water from your ears and from most of your face. Even if you dont need a hood I still wear one(unless if it is actually very warm out), id rather look dumb than be sick, I just pull it down when im sitting waiting for a wave.

If I fall I make sure not to open my mouth at all, since usually when I surf i dont care and spit water out.

By doing this I have only gotten noticeably ill twice in the past 3 years.

I had the same problem for much of my adult life. Last Novemeber I had an outpatient sinus surgery that they call the "roto rooter". Basically a sinus scraping that was uncomfortable but not nearly as bad as I expected. I have not had a sinus infection since.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by El Porto View Post
    I had the same problem for much of my adult life. Last Novemeber I had an outpatient sinus surgery that they call the "roto rooter". Basically a sinus scraping that was uncomfortable but not nearly as bad as I expected. I have not had a sinus infection since.
    can you explain further the "roto-rooter", and why your doc had you do this? I recently had a turbinate reduction surgery... and unfortunately it was the wrong thing to do.