LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wavejunkie View Post
    Everytime i surf i get a sinus infection. its gotten to the point where its just not worth it anymore. i am more passionate about surfing than anything else i have ever done in my life and absolutely live my life according to the surf forecast. if i spend a half hour in the ocean, i cant breathe out of my nose at all for 3 days. i feel like a part of me died today, but its just not worth it anymore.

Glad to hear it. Music to my ears. One less kook in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    can you explain further the "roto-rooter", and why your doc had you do this? I recently had a turbinate reduction surgery... and unfortunately it was the wrong thing to do.
    Micah, I had my sinus' bored out when they repaired a deviated septum. All of it was based on the sizes and locations of the "drains" (for the lack of a better term) in the sinus cavities. Everybody's sinus' are different. Mine had relatively small drainage holes and some are not at the lowest point in the cavity, trapping mucus and/or seawater (with all it's little micro organisms) in certain sinus cavities. I don't dive as much as I used to, but it's still part of my job and sinus infections from saltwater were definately common.

The "roto-rooter" and sinus flushes definately help. The flush is basically the same as a neti-pot, but you don't have to crank your head to the side. I think NeilMed makes both.

Wrong thing to do? Did you lose your sense of smell?

Quote Originally Posted by avonsurfernc View Post
    Now OBX is so freaking clean on the other hand. Makes me never want to leave this place.
    yessssssss

can you explain further the "roto-rooter", and why your doc had you do this? I recently had a turbinate reduction surgery... and unfortunately it was the wrong thing to do.
    I think the actual term isw FESS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functio..._sinus_surgery

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray F. View Post
    Wrong thing to do? Did you lose your sense of smell?
    Allowed me to breathe better, but just made my allergy symptoms worse since the nose was more open.

Allowed me to breathe better, but just made my allergy symptoms worse since the nose was more open.
    Allergy shots, man. They seriously changed my life.

Images
    But seriously did you lose your sense of smell.....

I've heard some people report being worse off after the surgery and wishing they hadn't done it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Driftingalong View Post
    I've heard some people report being worse off after the surgery and wishing they hadn't done it.
    definitely... i'll prob do the allergy shots.

I had "nasal" polyups a few years ago, and like most guys I put off going ot the Dr forever. When I finally went he said I was 100% blocked on one side, and 98% on the other! I don't know if that is what your situation is making the sinus infections worse, but with this condition you have an allergic reaction (mine was dust) and the membraines in your sinus get inflamed. When the membraines are inflamed, your natural tendency is to blow your nose, but with an alergic reaction it is not caused by mucus, but by the membraines in the sinus cavity being irritated. Long/short, blowing your nose does nothing to alleviate the problem, and by blowing your nose you create polyups. You have 8 sinus cavities on each side of your head, and when you force blowing your nose, the polyups build in the back and eventually work their way close to your nose.

I had heard horror stories about the surgery (ripping you open, long recovery, etc). However, my doctor used a method where they basically snaked something down your nose and conducted the surgery looking at a video screen. I was 100% back to normal within 3 days, and back to work in 2. Just go to the doctor and get it checked out, if it is polyups its an easy fix. Good luck!