LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: sunday???

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cresto4 View Post
    Just curious: How many people would call the "Rockaway Beach 11/12/10" picture at the bottom of the page OH? How many would call it something else?
    What picture ?

Images
    yeah thats looks a little OH to me

Solid overhead surf, but looks really ripable. Not a Jersey death bomb, although pics like that can be misleading.

psssh...chest high at best.

but seriously...what a fun weekend, eh?
    i had pretty fun 2.5-3hr session in cape may on sat (saw some of those OH bombs that matt was talking about...didn't get one myself, but got 1 or 2 solid head high waves. it was neat to surf cape may again, since i haven't surfed there in years for one reason or another. forgot how much fun it could be...also had a great 2hr session at ***** street in oc sunday morning that netted me the best barrel i've had since i was in the maldives...such a fun session!! solidly head high w/ well over head sets & CLEAN. then i "got sick" last nite & had to drive to seaside for a saltwater treatment at ****** pier, where i found really fun chest high, really rippable waves coming off the pier. also got to watch a guy on a log blow a take off & break his board on one of the pilings. he was a good surfer, too...paddled right back out on a little hybrid fish & proceeded to tear the snot out of the place (relatively speaking...he must've been in his 50's or 60's).

all in all, i found this to be a pretty satisfying little run of swell.

Rockaway Bch has an elevated boardwalk and its pretty far from the beach, so the wave is going to look smaller than it really is. Generally speaking, its a relatively easy, soft wave. If you can deal with the submerged piling with the exposed rebar and the hundreds of surfers as unskilled as they are ettiqute challenged, its a sick place to check out whenever the winds go N

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Rockaway Bch has an elevated boardwalk and its pretty far from the beach, so the wave is going to look smaller than it really is. Generally speaking, its a relatively easy, soft wave. If you can deal with the submerged piling with the exposed rebar and the hundreds of surfers as unskilled as they are ettiqute challenged, its a sick place to check out whenever the winds go N
    Yeah I heard and was reading about a kid who almost drowned in the sticks this weekend

Been wanting to go up there to check it out but never have the time to make the long drive from the cape

Images
    Super fun in point pleasant sunday!

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    I surfed on the east end of the Rockaways Wednesday and Thursday and 90th st on Friday and Saturday, and been surfing there for a bit over a year. The surf is definitely mellower than the spots I surf in LBI, but it definitely still gets big and heavy on groundswells. There were sets in the well overhead range swinging wide like the one in the picture, off the big jetty, and at the Box, the break just east. When i paddled out at the Box Friday morning a guy caught a 20 yard standup right barrel right in front of me before wiping out. It was flippin sick. The current was gnarley though, lots of paddling.

And yes, the quality of surfing in the Rockaways is pretty low, and very few people regulate drops ins and board ditchings. I hate surfing around crowds there because the kookiness can get dangerous, but sometimes there aren't any options. I wish the few quality surfers who frequent these spots would start regulating more. For some reason it is the underlying belief at these breaks that anything goes and there is no need to respect the rules. These spots are dangerous enough with the strong rips, random wooden structures in the water, and partially treated human waste floating around. The last thing we need is kooks acting dangerously.

Look OH to me. Looks real fun too.