LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

frontside/backside

Ok so this topic has probably already been covered a million times but I wanted some personalized feedback. First of all, I'm what I like to call a "self-made" surfer in that, I have friends who surf but I was too ashamed to let them teach me how to surf (I started trying about 3 years ago as a compliment to my skating) and basically learned what I know from reading/youtube/just being in the lineup literally every single day.

All that being said, I ride goofy, and thus, my frontside is when I go left. I can kill going frontside, but I kind of struggle from time to time or go in a slump where going right is hard for me to accomplish. My question is whether or not this is a normal thing. What I mean is, do normal riders also prefer going to their frontside (which is right)? I ask this because most of our breaks around here are rights, and I really want to work on getting a solid feel for tucking in when going backside. Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

Images
    MOST of the time goofy footers prefer lefts (frontside), but not everyone. Id pick a left over a right any day, while my friend actually prefers rights for some reason. i guess its all a preference thing but skill level may also play into it

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDelLocal View Post
    I can kill going frontside, but I kind of struggle from time to time or go in a slump where going right is hard for me to accomplish. My question is whether or not this is a normal thing. What I mean is, do normal riders also prefer going to their frontside (which is right)? I ask this because most of our breaks around here are rights, and I really want to work on getting a solid feel for tucking in when going backside. Any tips?

Thanks in advance.
    try a longboard.it will at least give you more time to adjust and understand the pattern of moves you must use to drop in, bottom turn and trim out in the speed zone.

Once you figure it all out, you'll realize how much easier a backside cutback/snap is than a front side cutback/snaps. I'm a regular foot, and prefer backside becuase I can turn harder off the top and fully extend my legs. Plus, almost every world class wave is a left so...
    Last edited by DaMook; Nov 20, 2010 at 12:26 AM.

Most surfers prefer front side I guess because the wave in front of you vs behind you and they feel more comfortable doing a hard bottom turn front side. My advise would be to surf right breaking waves till they become second nature. Also, if you have a skate board practice hard rights letting it all hang out. One day it will click and you wont give it a second thought.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled Surfer View Post
    Most surfers prefer front side I guess because the wave in front of you vs behind you and they feel more comfortable doing a hard bottom turn front side. My advise would be to surf right breaking waves till they become second nature. Also, if you have a skate board practice hard rights letting it all hang out. One day it will click and you wont give it a second thought.
    the skateboard idea is actually great. i used to take my longboard to my friends quarter pipe and just practice doing backside pivots on the coping (to replicate a snap)

Images
    I dont try to stick to going Frontside (left) or Backside ( Right) for a whole lot . I switch it up alot so there isnt any awardness when going one way or the other

Leeeeeeeeeeeeeee the Stud will tell you what you need to know.

I ride regular and find that dropping in and bottom turning are extremely easy for me on rights (frontside) but the hard powerful turns are a little harder, while on lefts (backside) i find dropping in and bottom turn a little harder, but powerful turns come a lot easier, also i find getting shacked is way easier frontside, but all i do is practice going backside and it will get easier which i have found

I think it's alot of personal preference. I prefer my cutback and lip manuevers going frontside, but I prefer going backside when Im tucking into a barrel. I find it so much easier to grab a rail and drag a hand in the face going backside...I think everyone has their preferences, but when your skill level gets up you can equally enjoy a left or right, so just keep surfing til you get there.

I am also a lefty, and then I moved to VB, where a majority of the waves are rights. I learned to surf them pretty well. I think the tricky thing with surfing backside is that you don't get a full view of the entire wave, and that the bottom turn is not fully drawn out like it would be if you were surfing frontside. The initial turn, whether a big bottom turn or just a small one to get yourself going, is really where it all starts.

Try surfing smaller waves going backside. Try to do the pig-dog at first and then once your on the wave stand up. Rinse and repeat. It'll eventually come to you.