LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Images

frontside/backside

Ok so this topic has probably already been covered a million times but I wanted some personalized feedback. First of all, I'm what I like to call a "self-made" surfer in that, I have friends who surf but I was too ashamed to let them teach me how to surf (I started trying about 3 years ago as a compliment to my skating) and basically learned what I know from reading/youtube/just being in the lineup literally every single day.

All that being said, I ride goofy, and thus, my frontside is when I go left. I can kill going frontside, but I kind of struggle from time to time or go in a slump where going right is hard for me to accomplish. My question is whether or not this is a normal thing. What I mean is, do normal riders also prefer going to their frontside (which is right)? I ask this because most of our breaks around here are rights, and I really want to work on getting a solid feel for tucking in when going backside. Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

Images
    MOST of the time goofy footers prefer lefts (frontside), but not everyone. Id pick a left over a right any day, while my friend actually prefers rights for some reason. i guess its all a preference thing but skill level may also play into it

Most surfers prefer front side I guess because the wave in front of you vs behind you and they feel more comfortable doing a hard bottom turn front side. My advise would be to surf right breaking waves till they become second nature. Also, if you have a skate board practice hard rights letting it all hang out. One day it will click and you wont give it a second thought.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled Surfer View Post
    Most surfers prefer front side I guess because the wave in front of you vs behind you and they feel more comfortable doing a hard bottom turn front side. My advise would be to surf right breaking waves till they become second nature. Also, if you have a skate board practice hard rights letting it all hang out. One day it will click and you wont give it a second thought.
    the skateboard idea is actually great. i used to take my longboard to my friends quarter pipe and just practice doing backside pivots on the coping (to replicate a snap)

Images
    I dont try to stick to going Frontside (left) or Backside ( Right) for a whole lot . I switch it up alot so there isnt any awardness when going one way or the other

Leeeeeeeeeeeeeee the Stud will tell you what you need to know.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDelLocal View Post
    I can kill going frontside, but I kind of struggle from time to time or go in a slump where going right is hard for me to accomplish. My question is whether or not this is a normal thing. What I mean is, do normal riders also prefer going to their frontside (which is right)? I ask this because most of our breaks around here are rights, and I really want to work on getting a solid feel for tucking in when going backside. Any tips?

Thanks in advance.
    try a longboard.it will at least give you more time to adjust and understand the pattern of moves you must use to drop in, bottom turn and trim out in the speed zone.

Once you figure it all out, you'll realize how much easier a backside cutback/snap is than a front side cutback/snaps. I'm a regular foot, and prefer backside becuase I can turn harder off the top and fully extend my legs. Plus, almost every world class wave is a left so...
    Last edited by DaMook; Nov 20, 2010 at 12:26 AM.

Images
    Just force it on yourself. ONLY go right. For like a whole month. Only sit on right handers etc... Its a comfort thing... But once you get your pumping down and stuff, you will realize that there a EASIER moves that you can do backside... Like the backside round house etc... You can lay so much more power and torque into some backside moves, and visa versa, but once you feel the power and drive of the different turns, you will be much more confident.... backside Barrels are easier to line up. Backside top turns are easier to fan. Backside Roundhouses are 100 times better backside cause you can slam all your weight down through the turns...

So, force yourself to play with it, then you will froth at those right handers... Do the pig dog to get your barrel riding down. Take a nice drop, hold your rail, hit one knee if you have to and line up under the lip... There's a big upside to backside turning, you just gotta find your rythm and keep trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Just force it on yourself. ONLY go right. For like a whole month. Only sit on right handers etc... Its a comfort thing... But once you get your pumping down and stuff, you will realize that there a EASIER moves that you can do backside... Like the backside round house etc... You can lay so much more power and torque into some backside moves, and visa versa, but once you feel the power and drive of the different turns, you will be much more confident.... backside Barrels are easier to line up. Backside top turns are easier to fan. Backside Roundhouses are 100 times better backside cause you can slam all your weight down through the turns...

So, force yourself to play with it, then you will froth at those right handers... Do the pig dog to get your barrel riding down. Take a nice drop, hold your rail, hit one knee if you have to and line up under the lip... There's a big upside to backside turning, you just gotta find your rythm and keep trying it.
    what he said...last fall with all those nor-easters was the best thing that ever happened to my back side. and watching dane rip back side. he has a patented blow tail going backside. (or whatever you wanna call it)

Its all in the hips.