LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49

Thread: LATER 48th St.

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In a state of flux
    Posts
    2,966
    this should be viewed as a good thing. The fair-weather pansy surfers will quit and the dedicated people will find spots to get waves.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    fi
    Posts
    101
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by snobowin View Post
    Beach replenishment goes on all the time in OC. Last year they didn't use the ACE the city did it themselves by moving the sand from the inlet up to where the beach had eroded the most. The sand will always move where the ocean wants it to go. IF you watch the pipe at 48th. the sand will build up on the N side and bury the pipe while the pumping goes on to the north and south. After a couple of NEters things will go back close to what they are now. However, get it while you can 'cause it will be messed up after the pump gets going until a nice storm hits. The new beach will wash away this winter and the bars will build back next summer. It is a shame that nature can't take her course which would mean good surf breaks all around.
    If nature took its course there would absolutely be no surf breaks, or oc for that matter. That would totally put the barrier island underwater. And bar formation is greatest during the winter, sooooooooo we still have the potential for a great winter or a very long year. I guess assateague will become more of an interest to us all.

    But, I do agree with xgen70, all will be right again soon and it doesn't hurt to drive around to explore the already explored.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ocean City, MD
    Posts
    57
    Images
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by coastlinelocal View Post
    i used to surf there like fifteen years ago before the crowd thickened. it has always been a nice break. always a foot or two bigger at the groin on both north and south swells. its a shame. seems to me by 48th being the elbow of oc they wouldnt destroy it cause it seems to catch the sand as the swells sweep across it. would make sense to pump north of it or south of it. not a direct hit. wtf damn shame

    totally agree

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    ocmd
    Posts
    271
    Images
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by snobowin View Post
    Beach replenishment goes on all the time in OC. Last year they didn't use the ACE the city did it themselves by moving the sand from the inlet up to where the beach had eroded the most. The sand will always move where the ocean wants it to go. IF you watch the pipe at 48th. the sand will build up on the N side and bury the pipe while the pumping goes on to the north and south. After a couple of NEters things will go back close to what they are now. However, get it while you can 'cause it will be messed up after the pump gets going until a nice storm hits. The new beach will wash away this winter and the bars will build back next summer. It is a shame that nature can't take her course which would mean good surf breaks all around.
    Actually they took truck load after truck load of sand from ocean city and moved it up to delaware because the erosion from"NorIda" was so bad. Rusty you took the words right outta my mouth. Barrier islands are supposed to role back until they eventually meet with the mainland. If beach replenishment wasn't done I wouldn't have a house or a job, so while it does screw with the littoral current and natural sand flow I am glad they do it every so often.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooseknuckle View Post
    Barrier islands are supposed to role back until they eventually meet with the mainland.
    'role back'? barrier islands are fragile and dynamic ecosystems but i don't think they're 'supposed' to do anything...

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In a state of flux
    Posts
    2,966
    actually they are. Naturally they move toward the main land mass (hence the roll). Over time they should completely disappear.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    ocmd
    Posts
    271
    Images
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by cresto4 View Post
    'role back'? barrier islands are fragile and dynamic ecosystems but i don't think they're 'supposed' to do anything...
    geog 311 coastal processes Dr. Zaprowski brother. And 24 years livin ocean front. dont make me flex my physical geography skillzzzz

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Ocean City, MD
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by superbust View Post
    heres what they should do instead of replenishment.....

    http://www.asrltd.com/our_solutions/...purpose_reefs/

    I'm interning with these guys next year sometime. I think itll be awesome.


    Good luck with interning. dig the website

    This link is off the website. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGYuj...layer_embedded Watch this video and the other youtube video. If you can convince the masses to pass this type of development, beaches, in theory, will remain sheltered. And who knows, maybe the waves will be better too!
    Last edited by Sterling; Nov 23, 2010 at 05:14 PM.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooseknuckle View Post
    geog 311 coastal processes Dr. Zaprowski brother. And 24 years livin ocean front. dont make me flex my physical geography skillzzzz
    i wasn't questioning your knowledge of barrier island morphology and dynamics (and never would ) just your use of the words 'supposed to'. i understand that relatively predictable changes may occur in these environments but that doesn't mean they're 'supposed to' - just that they do. that's all i was saying. [edit: whoop whoop].
    Last edited by cresto4; Nov 23, 2010 at 09:52 PM. Reason: for rustysrfr

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    fi
    Posts
    101
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by cresto4 View Post
    'role back'? barrier islands are fragile and dynamic ecosystems but i don't think they're 'supposed' to do anything...
    retrograding barrier island i believe...dr z whoop whoop