LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Preparing for the spring

Hey guys, you can say I'm on a hiatus from the waves for the rest of the fall and during winter until I get my license so I can leave this forsaken place and go down the shore in late march/april.

Now, I live in south jersey so is it safe to say that during that time the water will be in the 40s? I'm getting myself a 4/3 for sure on my birthday. I'm wondering if that will suffice until may or june when i can just trunk it like I always do.

any help or info is much appreciated

Images
    I went in at the beginning of april this year with a 3/2 and i was a little chilly but other than that i was fine.

do you only bodyboard? i do, but I surf from time to time really depending on the conditions and I've never worn gloves while bodyboarding. id assume i may need them during this time?

Quote Originally Posted by NJSwell View Post
    do you only bodyboard? i do, but I surf from time to time really depending on the conditions and I've never worn gloves while bodyboarding. id assume i may need them during this time?
    Oh yes.... gloves for sure in March and April.. at least in NJ.

Oh yes.... gloves for sure in March and April.. at least in NJ. The water's still in the 40's until about the first week in May.

ok many thanks, I can just use my gloves that I have left over during surf, hopefully a hood might not be necessary? dont have one haha

Images
    ok many thanks, I can just use my gloves that I have left over during surf, hopefully a hood might not be necessary? dont have one haha
    Where are you now? I still have yet to use gloves this year... they are the worst when paddling and gripping the BB.

I'm on LBI, I pretty much bodyboard on the north end, ceders or loveladies and south at beach haven.

I really haven't used gloves at all while bodyboarding, never tried. I have the same concern, i wouldn't be able to pull the rail or grip it properly with them on.

hopefully a hood might not be necessary? dont have one haha

you will need a hood in nj. i've been wearing gloves for a couple weeks now (but i'm a p***y when it comes to my hands being cold), but only 1 session in 3mil gloves. the others were in 1.5 mils.
    water gets into the mid-upper 30's in an average nj winter, but will usually start to creep back into the 40's by mid-march at the latest.

you'll prob. be fine w/ a 4/3, hood, 5mil boots, & 3mil gloves. anything less than that & i think you'll be cold.

Images
    yeah 4/3 with hood 5 mil gloves but I would get 5 mil gloves you can pretty much surf the whole winter that way. During the colder months you might be able to stay out for 2 hours at the most . I have been wearing gloves for 3 weeks now cause my joints in my hands hurt really bad once my hands get too cold.