LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Kelly Slater on Sports Center

Did anyone see Kelly Slater on Sports Center today?

Yessir I saw it this morning, I was actually thinking about starting a thread like this haha. The appearance seemed sort of pointless to me, but I don't know I guess it was pretty cool. You have any opinion on it?

Images
    I watch sportscenter, both east and west coast versions, everyday. I love the sportscasters, and the Slater appearance was nothing short of pointless. They actually portrayed Kelly Slater as a pissed off guy. I know they were kind of joking, but all his responses were like "Uhh, no... Are you kidding me"? The guys dressed up in boardies and it looked like kelly felt like they were mocking him...

One of the guys was standing on a board with no fins doing a gay surf pose, and Kelly was like "That is terrible. Not even close" and stuff.

Kelly just stood there, wearing skinny jeans and looking annoyed. They should have sat him down for 10-15 minutes and given the man some respect.... They didnt even let him narrate the top 10... It was like he was just there for help intorduce commerical breaks and stuff...

I looked forward to it all day, and it was a bust... Its like REALLY>?>

Kelly was like "Well, here is the top 10, and I can guarantee you they didn't include any surfing"... Like kelly was mocking them back.

BOOOO sportscenter... You run 25 minute long emotional sob stories throughout sportcenter half the time... Stories of disabled kids, making grown men cry at 2:00 in the afternoon, yet they can't find one of the most successful ATHELETES EVER TO LIVE a 5 minutes segment about his fu**ing 10th world title...

The only good thing about this sportcenter episode was that when they introduced him, they asked Kelly how many championships he had... He said "Well, for now, I have 10. For now...."

I was like hell yeah Kelly!!!! You got 5 more in you!!! Shut down the Aussies and the Hawaiians for another decade and watch them squirm.... Invade their north shore for 5 more years and own them!!!!! I love it! USA! USA!!! EAST COAST TOO!!! gotta love it.

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    I watch sportscenter, both east and west coast versions, everyday. I love the sportscasters, and the Slater appearance was nothing short of pointless. They actually portrayed Kelly Slater as a pissed off guy. I know they were kind of joking, but all his responses were like "Uhh, no... Are you kidding me"? The guys dressed up in boardies and it looked like kelly felt like they were mocking him...

One of the guys was standing on a board with no fins doing a gay surf pose, and Kelly was like "That is terrible. Not even close" and stuff.

Kelly just stood there, wearing skinny jeans and looking annoyed. They should have sat him down for 10-15 minutes and given the man some respect.... They didnt even let him narrate the top 10... It was like he was just there for help intorduce commerical breaks and stuff...

I looked forward to it all day, and it was a bust... Its like REALLY>?>

Kelly was like "Well, here is the top 10, and I can guarantee you they didn't include any surfing"... Like kelly was mocking them back.

BOOOO sportscenter... You run 25 minute long emotional sob stories throughout sportcenter half the time... Stories of disabled kids, making grown men cry at 2:00 in the afternoon, yet they can't find one of the most successful ATHELETES EVER TO LIVE a 5 minutes segment about his fu**ing 10th world title...

The only good thing about this sportcenter episode was that when they introduced him, they asked Kelly how many championships he had... He said "Well, for now, I have 10. For now...."

I was like hell yeah Kelly!!!! You got 5 more in you!!! Shut down the Aussies and the Hawaiians for another decade and watch them squirm.... Invade their north shore for 5 more years and own them!!!!! I love it! USA! USA!!! EAST COAST TOO!!! gotta love it.
    I for one, would rather surfing not get all that attention, people on here cry about the crowds enough.

Why are you so angry about surfing not getting recognition? If you want to see surfing alls you have to do is go on the internet.

Images
    As an avid sports fan....i'm really starting to hate ESPN. Now a days an athletes "twitter" the night before becomes headline news or they're covering some bs pop culture garbage. ESPN and Sports Center specifically is becoming a Entertainment Tonight on steroids.

just my 2 cents.....oh and, Stuart Scott with his annoying lazy eye is the worst. He tries to be all ghetto and talk in ebonics slang....click click boom!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveHog View Post
    I for one, would rather surfing not get all that attention, people on here cry about the crowds enough.

Why are you so angry about surfing not getting recognition? If you want to see surfing alls you have to do is go on the internet.
    You will probably never be able to locate a post of mine in 3 years on this site, where I am complaining about crowds. Crowds don't bother me too much. Like many of us have said before on here, if you can surf, you will get waves. If you rip, crowds are like having an audience.

What DOES piss me off, is that sportcenter (LA) which is the primary broadcast here, has like 3 video clips of random surfing IN THEIR INTRODUCTION that is played before EVERY AIRING of SPORTCENTER. A guy doing an ugly top turn, a floater later on etc... So sportcenter "west coast" tries to cater to X-sports etc... and it is just lame... You use our atheletes in your intro, but you show now legitimate respect to them in reality?

I have heard numerous sportcasters speak VERY HIGHLY of surfing. talking about kelly and talking about how incredible all these atheletes

But then.... after ESPN FINALLY has something Legit to talk about in surfing, they air the entire episode as a novelty. They did NOT give the guy credit... They DID NOT showcase his journey throughout the whole thing... They never showed him in TOH barrels in Africa... NOTHING... NOTHING...

My point is: If the general public in the sports world would ACTUALLY get exposed to PRO surfing, on a high level, they would start to get it... I dont want more people surfing, but I want Atheletes to be recognized, and most surfers are superior atheletes to main stream sports players... They should get treated as such... Thats all im saying...

The only thing sportcenter every plays is some "Big Wave Challenge"... Mavericks or something that makes everyone go "WOW, LOOK AT THAT WAVE"...

Well, we also know that big wave surfing is UGLY... Mostly turnless, trickless, boring boring boring surfing...

So rather than showing elite guys boosting airs at one of the ASP contests, they show some guy with a ridiculous stance riding down the face of a 40 footer... People are like wow, that big... but so what... Looks like the same thing snowboarders do... Hold on an decsend.

Im just saying that if ESPN wants to showcase surfing, then do it... But dont be fake about it...

You could tell that every guy who was talknig to Kelly had ZERO clue what they were talking about... Teir lackies didn't even put in an hour of research to feed these guys with good material...

I love sportcenter. I think it is getting more and more entertaining. I just hate when they disregard legitimate accomplishments like what kelly did... it will NEVER be done again..

No one in the history of sports has dominated ANY individual sports in the way that kelly has, nor will they ever... Kelly is one and only and deserves to be treated as such.

Yeah I understand your point about attracting attention to surfing which will inevitably get more people involved in it (which in VB, seems like the opposite thing we need during the summer!)... but I also think that if ESPN was going to go through the trouble of having a legendary athlete like Kelly Slater on, they should have made it seems a little more legit and less just like they pulled him out of bed and he was pissed off.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveHog View Post

surfing isn't a sport to be exploited and commercialized (which I know I know it already is) but instead I still like to romanticize the ideal that it's a subculture not for the masses...I truly enjoy the fact that I have fun surfing, and I go alone most of the time. I'm not trying to impress anyone, it's something I truly fell in love with.

just my two cents. I know someone/ multiple people will probably disagree with me

Yup... the big wave events they show do come off as lame. As a surfer I can at least identify on some small scale the accomplishments riding of a 40 footer more than the general public.. but even with that...I find big wave surfing (mavericks, wiammea, Jaws)pretty fricking boring to watch. I'd rather see lip tricks on a four foot wave. If your gonna show some surfing on mainstream broadcast tv at least show some tech tricks rather than dudes in a stink bug stance.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDelLocal View Post
    surfing isn't a sport to be exploited and commercialized (which I know I know it already is) but instead I still like to romanticize the ideal that it's a subculture not for the masses...I truly enjoy the fact that I have fun surfing, and I go alone most of the time. I'm not trying to impress anyone, it's something I truly fell in love with.

just my two cents. I know someone/ multiple people will probably disagree with me
    Very good point. And I like that aspect of surfing as well. But on the other hand, I know that everyone on here has had to try and explain to friends, family, co-workers etc how important surfing is to you. And you probably get this blank look like, yeah whatever "dude"... In SoCal, people are much more accepting of surfing as a lifestyle, but it would just be nice if people recognized how difficult surfing is. It's like, we are high performance atheletes. We push our body and minds to the limits. We defy gravity, we defy logic, we go against every instinct that the human body has to offer, and people group us with sports like skating, snowboarding and motorcross...

Surfing is BY FAR more difficult than all those sports combined... We have all snowboarded. ITS EASY!!! You can spend one day on a mountain for the first time, and by the end of the day, charge down a black diamond... Yeah, snowboarding at the high level is super tough, but any as$ clown can buy a snowboard and look good doing it after a year or so... I can buy a dirt bike, take it to the same dirt course EVERYDAY, ALL YEAR and get good at it pretty quick. I can buy a skateboard, and after a few months, I will be kick flipping and doing tricks...

In surfing, you can dedicate years of your life to it, and not accomplish any of those things. I just feel like surfers have to work 10x harder to get to where we are today. What a good surfer does is just filled with more talent than most of these other sports...

Tony Hawk: Favorite Sports: Surfing Tony's Hawk's Only Fear (and I quote): SURFING BIG WAVES!

Sean White: Favorite Sport: Surfing.... When asked what he was going to do after the olympics, he said "Take a long surf trip with my friends and enjoy that. Surfing is what I love"...

Funny how the most talented of atheletes in these other "extreme sports" still have more passion for surfing than anything else... Cause its a life long challenge and dedication, and any guy who masters surfing, has pretty much mastered life and the world around him... Congrats Kelly.

Sorry for the Xtreme sports rant... dont know where that came from.