LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mexsurfer View Post
    no, you rent the shaping bay for 25 an hour, meaning that you bring your blank, glass an whatever, and you use the tools they have to shape your board. So you'll probably end up paying 500$ (20hrs) if you do everything in there...
    forget that then haha, rather just call my local shaper and get a board for half the price

West Long Branch, New Jersey, United States
    It took me about 4 or 5 hours to shape a board the other day in a borrowed shop then i just glassed it in my kitchen. About $225 I think for material if I bought a blank, but I recycled a longboard. So then your at $350, even if it cost you over $400 Id rather ride a board built by me exactly how I want it. I saw the room the other day too its a pretty sweet set up.

3. Can i get the number or name of the local shaper you use??? would love to get a board for $250

Quote Originally Posted by mexsurfer View Post
    no, you rent the shaping bay for 25 an hour, meaning that you bring your blank, glass an whatever, and you use the tools they have to shape your board. So you'll probably end up paying 500$ (20hrs) if you do everything in there...
    It takes 2-3 hours to shape a board in the beginning. Depends on how obessive you are over every detail. Glassing takes about 3-4 hours of labor total split up into a few days, or, with our epoxy postcure box and Resin Research Kwik Kick Epoxy, you can finish glassing a board in a day. Just schedule your timeslot spread 2 hours apart and come back for the next step...
    You can choose to rent the room just to shape, or just to glass, or just to sand, to save money and do the other things at home if you want...
    We're here at the shop to help you out so you're not guessing at what or how to do something so your not wasting your time and money by shaping your own boards.
    See you soon
    ~Brian
    www.greenlightsurfsupply.com

I stopped in yesterday to get some materials and it is an ideal setup. Hopefully Brian will put together some sort of "package deal" where you can get all the materials and shaping room time bundled together for a good price. Like, less than an off-the-rack major label.

Quote Originally Posted by rideacarr View Post
    forget that then haha, rather just call my local shaper and get a board for half the price
    I'll be honest, I'm big about supporting local shapers and have ordered quite a few custom's from Brian Wynn...and straight up love supporting him.

However, there is nothing like making your own board (as well as riding it)! From determining the outline, rocker(s), rails, contours, fin placement, etc. I have learned more about surfboard design from the more than 32 shapes I have made then I have reading or buying a board. To tell you the truth, now, when ordering a custom, I am way more informed and know what I like and what i need... In addition, I can appreciate what Wynn and Brasco and other guys like them are able to do more now then ever...!

I definitely recommend giving it a whirl...and Brian (greenlight) is super cool from order to advice, etc. Plus he is totally on it when it comes to alt. designs--ask about his asymmetricals!

Lastly, no matter what you make realize everything works to a certain extent...just take a look at Ryan Birch...what a freak!

West Long Branch, New Jersey, United States
    I saw some of those asymetricals, there pretty wild looking must be fun to ride.

Sneak Peek of the rental shaping room

~Brian
    www.greenlightsurfsupply.com

That room looks sick! Can't wait to swing by and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by DaMook View Post
    christ Belmar. Now every guido in north jersey is going to be surfing their own IROC-Z designed surfboard. Happy Times!!
    You know what IROC stands for .....