LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Anyone been to europe? (Spain, Portugal, France)

For the month of January I will be backpacking solo throughout Europe. My itinerary is pretty much wide open, as I have a Eurail pass and can go where I like. I'll be starting in Switzterland, spending a week snowboarding, then I'd like my way to the Atlantic coast of Spain, North or south I'm still not sure.

Anyone travelled these parts in this time of the year? any hints, tips, or tricks are highly appreciated. I'll be staying in hostels and wouldn't mind getting some instruction, as I've never had any in my 5 years of surfing. Thanks guys

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by NSsurfer View Post
    For the month of January I will be backpacking solo throughout Europe. My itinerary is pretty much wide open, as I have a Eurail pass and can go where I like. I'll be starting in Switzterland, spending a week snowboarding, then I'd like my way to the Atlantic coast of Spain, North or south I'm still not sure.

Anyone travelled these parts in this time of the year? any hints, tips, or tricks are highly appreciated. I'll be staying in hostels and wouldn't mind getting some instruction, as I've never had any in my 5 years of surfing. Thanks guys

Cheers
    whatever you do, make it amsterdam. Skip paris, its a rip off, especially solo. Watch your stuff like a hawk and wear skinny jeans to fit in. Dont forget that exchange rate, or the rate that you bank or credit card will charge also. Check out Austria if your in switzerland... its so close, and possibly my fav european country. There is amazing surf in france and Portugal this time of year, enjoy!

If you can find a cheap flight from Madrid to the Canaries do it. Lanzarote is awesome and you should be able to find any number of hostels or hotels. If your interested send me a PM and I can dig up the name of the hostel I stayed at a couple years back. Lots of different breaks and a good mix of people from all over europe.

Tenerife is supposed to be worth the trip too although it is a little better known for kite boarding I think.

Northern Spain has mundaka, and a bunch of other surf spots... not sure there is much surf in southern Spain. The south was also warmer (really close to Africa too, i hear morocco has awesome surf), and more touristy. Portugal could be awesome too.

Its Tarifa thats known for kiting in Spain. Those euros are effing crazy about it over there

if you make it to spain and want to try something completely different, head south to morocco. take the train to marrakech and then catch a bus out to essaouira. craziest place i've ever surfed - there's a place that rents (crappy) boards there and the waves were nothing special (crazy desert winds most of the time) but the cultural experience out of the water was a total trip. also, i was traveling alone for a few weeks but found life much easier after i met a guy from denmark and traveled with him. the freedom of traveling alone is intoxicating but having someone to watch your backpack (and vice versa) while you get sh!t done is key. have a great trip no matter where you go!

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback. Morocco is def circling around my head but im not sure id go there alone, so like you stated above, im hoping to meet a fellow surfer or even better photographer to travel with ahah.

Anyone know how easy it is to rent in january? I don't want anything foam, long, or twin fin.

I'm afraid i might have to buy a board down there.

europe trip

western coast of portugal will be great, canary islands also and not too crowded. i agree skip paris and definately wear skinny jeans and a scarf! you just cant miss amsterdam for many reasons. have fun.
    Last edited by surfergirl12; Dec 7, 2010 at 08:39 PM. Reason: misspelled word

where are you goin in switz? get out to interlocken.
    skip paris, lame.
    def southern coast of spain and portugal has got waves to offer.
    amsterdam is gona be really cold but hey its amsterdam. oh and dont buy herb from shops quality is ****. better to find it outside a shop and know how to take care of it yourself. i stayed at the flying pig hostel and liked it. the bull dog is fun as well.
    everything is expensive in europe but enjoy!

I was in Europe this past summer for 2 months. If you start out in Switzerland, go south to Italy. The ladies are disgustingly good looking and there is tons of stuff to do in cities like Florence and Rome. Also make sure to go to Munich (beer gardens and there is a concentration camp just outside which is cool) and if you have time make it to Prague, completely worth it and cheep compared to Euro and especially the Swiss Frank. Go to Amsterdam for the sluts and blow. Additionally, think about going to Bruge (Belgium) its one of the prettiest cities in Europe with so much history. I don't know why people are saying to skip Paris, stop there especially if your going to Spain. There are tons of stuff to do in Paris and if by yourself you can do a lot in 2 days. Spain, Barcelona is a MUST. Go to Camp Nou (stadium of Barcelona FC) and take the tour. Be careful though pick pockets are all over the place. Valencia (just south of Barcelona) is nice as well, but you don't want to spend too much time there. Madrid is cool too. Lots of Art Museums and such.

http://www.blogger.com/profile/14809022554051632295 -- here is a blog me and my friends made this past summer, it is pretty helpful especially if you haven't traveled Europe before.