LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yoga

yoga

i recently met an experienced and well traveled surfer who claims that his daily yoga sessions significantly improve his surfing skills. what do you guys think? agree/disagree? is there anyone of you never/always does yoga and still shreds/sucks?

also do you have any recommendations for surfing yoga dvds? i did a couple free yoga sessions at my college and i really enjoyed it but some of the poses felt like complete mystic-hippy bs. and besides, theyre only once a week and in instances like tonight's id rather watch monday night football.

Images
    no doubt about it Yoga is helpful. It increases agility, strength, calmness. Good for the whole body. I recommend.

After much deliberation about Yoga and what it would do for me... Finally, I decided to seriously try it for an extended period of time, because of back problems (herniated disc)... There are many variations and spins on Yoga (Power, Vinyasa, Hot, etc...) based on instuctor and participants/students preferences. It really depends on what you want to get out of it... There are some surfing Yoga vides that I've seen advertised in Mags, etc... but never tried them.

I don't think there is any direct correleation to Yoga making your surfing skills better. However, I would say that I think that it can strengthen your core, legs and upper body, it increases your flexibility, balance and muscle endurance/stamina. With all of those benefits its bound to make you better equiped as an athelete and ultimiatly improve your potential to shred... so to say!

Images
    Ya, need to give it a try, and see if it is for you. Try some classes, and then you can learn the poses and do it on your own and in the classes (if you like the classes).

Each teacher is different. My favorite style is the Hatha yoga, where it is much more slow paced and you hold each pose for a longer time, in comparison to the the Vinyasa yoga where it is more aerobic and you are shifting from one pose to another in a more fluid, flowing manner.

not sure if it will help your surfing, but i've heard yoga classes can be a great place to meet hot chicks

Try Kickboxing,Insane workout.Great for balance and as far as cardio goes I would say not too many sports compare to it.

Yoga is a great way to build core strength, flexibility, balance and a clear mind, all things needed to shred. Totally agree it helps your surfing.

And the Betty's in the classes are a definite plus..

Everything everybody else said...I tried it out for the first time when I started doing P90X and I was amazed at how much more flexibility I had after doing it...as well as helping with balance and core...and breathing
    Give it a shot, can't hurt to try it, and if your leery about going to a class, pick up P90X and do that version...it's an hour and a half...I usually only do about an hour's worth a week, modify...but yeah it helps...

Agreed

The P90X Yoga session is very good stuff.

As the Admin... said... I concur and enjoy Yoga sessions where your holding poses for long periods of time. Its tougher than **** and can really kick your a$$, but its great for you.

Images
    Yoga does wonder for my the mind and body. Just so advice if your new to it take a few classes to learn proper technique so you don't hurt your self