Record Summer?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Darealm, Aug 18, 2011.

1. havanasand

havanasand Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    "personally, i can't wait for the next solidly overhead swell to see how many people *actually* paddleout & back up all the ****-talking that's been going on & how many find some excuse to just hang in the parking lot or on the beach watching. that's always how it is on a decent to big swell...lot's of people talking in the lead up, not so many paddling out & catching waves when it comes to suit deed to word."

What he said...Fortunately, I don't have a chance to listen to people talk smack anymore and puff their ability levels up. Got kids, job, and priorities. But when it's time to surf a thin crowd definately trumps a bunch of bodies in chest high slop. I love walking over the dune by myself finally seeing the ocean do what it should be doing.

2. fupafest

fupafest Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Although the lack of swell has been absolutely insane, it may be a blessing. Labor day is when all the "shoobies" head back north and kids go back to school, leaving us with at least a chance at decent surf with only a few guys. I remember last year surfing Danielle closeouts with at least 50ppl minimum (not too fun). It's just getting out of control the amount of people in the water these days. I think ppl seem to forget this is the East Coast, we only get "good" waves maybe 10x a year with only 2-3 of them being "epic". The rest of the time we are just frothing over scraps (in 5-7mm suits mind you) on world standards. And..I just love how ppl tend to complain about the most redic sh*t. Your mad kooks dont paddle out in hurricane surf...seriously!?! I don't care if the look all day as long as they aren't causing traffic in the line up. Let's face it, if anyone on here could "really surf"they would be sponsored and doing trips. Not dealing with east coast kooks. My suggestion is for many ppl on here, get some video of yourself (ask one of the kooks watching)... I bet your not "ripping" as hard as you think. Check yoself before you wreck yoself.

3. still stoked

still stoked Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    97L is probably headed into the Caribbean but will make some little ones for Wed and Thur, S of Hatteras, and Thur, N of Hatteras. But there may be a decent storm behind 97L that’ll rock the casbah for next weekend. I’ll believe it when I see it, but I’m hopeful.

4. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
  5. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    June through August may be shameful, but September is when things get interesting... The last several years, the very end of August, or just around September 1, tends to mark a significant swell event.

6. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010

If you want to stand in the mirror and practice your podium speech and put fake sponsor stickers all over your board... then check yourself before you wreck yoself.

...and I too expect a decent swell between now and labor day, mainly based on previous years data. it's not rocket science...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  7. windswellsucks

windswellsucks Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2007
    i hope fla and the islands dont get beat up too bad [​IMG]

8. Bad Bug Surfing

Bad Bug Surfing Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2006
    I have to say i enjoy the summertime scraps with all the kooks, if you actually know how to surf you can scoot yourself right around all the people that dont know what their doing. And they look at you like your a Surf God, it quite amusing. Then come late Hurricane and nor-easter season when the "real" waves come, it thins that crowd out the people that actually nkow what their doing...mostly.

I must say tho, that the amount of familys with brand new boards in boardbags that come to my local break is quite disturbing. They put about a 1/4 bar of wax on a 9ft log and sit 30 foot out past any breaking waves. And they call themselves "surfers". I just cant wait untill the fad calms down a bit. But in the meantime, you just have to do a little extra steering.

9. cobtaco223

cobtaco223 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    That's from the NHC, so maybe we'll get lucky..

10. Ray F.

Ray F. Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    [​IMG]

11. havanasand

Aug 9, 2011
    That's a very close-minded assumption. There's plenty of people who aren't sponsored who can destroy it who have chosen to let surfing take a back seat to other things in life...I know guys capable of paddling out a few times/year and would absolutely embarrass many people who are paid to surf in a variety of conditions including some bombs that would leave a lot of people sitting on the beach.

12. havanasand

Aug 9, 2011
    Family reunions 2 hours inland with kids running around everywhere make one more inclined to find a spot alone to troll surf forums. Happy to say at least I don't do it on a regular basis.

13. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    This is all important,but most important is staying above the weather!

14. Ray F.

Ray F. Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    [​IMG]

15. fupafest

fupafest Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I agree with you. My statement was made more for the ppl who complain about kooks. It's a waste of time and f*cks up the vibe. My beaches have become increasingly kooky but if you analize the "kooky" situations its usually the more experienced guy who is the kook. Almost every swell I see Kids yelling and getting all agro but yet can't do a proper bottom turn themselves. The point I wanted to make is, most ppl aren't ripping as hard as they think. I like to think I rip but I'm humble enough to realize I'm just average. What it comes down to is the "im so good i hate kooks" vibe is just corny at best. There is a reason why Jersey has had only 1 WCT surfer. Man I hope waves come soon, I'm actaully writing in a forum AGGG :confused:

16. ripthegnar

ripthegnar Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Picture 3.jpg

that area of orange, which is dry air, is our problem. These tropical waves come off of africa, hit that area of dry air and then die off. Just like Emily, that's why she died so quickly. Once that dry air lifts up into the north atlantic we are ok, but until then, nothing is going to get stronger than a tropical storm or category 1 storm if we are lucky.

17. dredg2

dredg2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2007
    Well said, pretty funny all the tough guys talking about DOH and kooks in summer blah blah, shut your trap and just surf man. And if you rip, you're def not on swellinfo forum calling people kooks, kook.

18. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    then you must not rip,dredge,and fupa,you've done that 113 times,now

19. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    I'm sure there will be, I have to go to the Pocono's for my buddy's bachelor weekend. I've been waiting patiently and I can gaurantee you there will be swell, based solely on the fact that I'll be too far away to get some! Never fails.

20. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    yo dawg, your slackin' ...what about staying above the weather?
    or are you under the weather?