Irene

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by GnarActually, Aug 21, 2011.

1. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    I'm that guy, i realize. I want to hear your hypothesis', since i just flat out suck at guessing.

2. brek

brek Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2008
    40 ft @ 14 secs with 50 mph onshore winds in Tybee Island, GA saturday morning. Sounds about right to me.

3. marknel83

marknel83 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    My guess is some swell in frisco cape hatteras. More swell to emerald isle and topsail. South carolina should get some decent swell. I think i might try to take off IF it stays on course and see what emerald isle and topsail would do with some swell. I havn't been there for a while. Or just swallow the 12 hour ride and head to fl for a few days haha.

4. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    but where to surf in strong se wind???

5. Masterjasson

Masterjasson Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    E.I does not hold a swell. I've seen it good there once about 7 years ago. I Was down that way for igor last year and the forcast called for well overhead. It was 3-4 ft closeouts at best by the pier. My guess for this one would be VAS but we'll see.

6. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    One thing is for sure, I won't in town for the eventual cleaned up remnants of the swell. Sucks...

7. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    I have scored EI clean green and barreling its nuts off while the rest of the coast was ugly side shore closeouts. Takes the right conditions, just like any beach break. Patience, grasshopper.

8. ecoastprock

ecoastprock Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Too close to the coast. Any surf will be blown out or beat down by 25mph+ offshores.

9. WeekendWarriorMdVaNc

WeekendWarriorMdVaNc Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2007
  10. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    This is unreasonably high... and has been corrected on the site.

11. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Looks like that weak front coming across the country might hold her offshore in the Gulfstream. The forecasted window keeps moving East over the past couple days. I really don't want to do the yard work, plus it would be nice to see the entire East Coast get swell.

12. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    The subtle change east in the track really increased the projected intensity of the storm. Take a look at the image comparison of this mornings forecast compared to the afternoons. Going to be interesting to watch how this all plays out.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  13. brek

brek Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2008
    but of course.

Will be interesting to see the PM update with the new wave maps for the mid-atlantic.

14. ripthegnar

ripthegnar Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2010
    i said it would turn sooner than it was forecasted to on the other thread, but i think it's gonna turn harder than expected and stay off the coast. All these weather places want to hype up the chance of a hurricane hitting the U.S, so they can report on it. We haven't been hit by one in 3 years and you can tell they are getting desperate.

look at this
    Picture 5.jpg

they still have it going over florida even though only one model takes it that direction. the rest take it out past the outer banks like earl.

but as per the swell aspect, i think we will finally see some swell, probably not clean or remotely ridable while the storm is going past, but i think we should see some swell on the back end of the storm.

15. Muleskinner

Muleskinner Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Like sat or sunday? Or do u think we will have to take off work on monday?? When do u think the rideable swell will come to the Outer Banks?

16. Muleskinner

Muleskinner Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I noticed there is some green on the swell graph on thursday so I might take off work and surf some of that green time.

17. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I remeber the report calling the Swell we had last labor day as choppy and shoulder high but, it was far from it . The Satuday and Sunday before labor day was some if the best surf we had all last summer here . We wont know til the 48hour forcast is here so everything is just hear say til then but hope for the best

18. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Sh!t. Irene is expected to hit southern north carolina as a category 3. Stay safe down there. Surf friday and saturday morning and then GTFO. Peace.

19. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    i hope it stays off shore. i hope it is being hyped up by the weather channel like someone else said. it keeps changing, it keeps turning more east with every advisory. it's too early to see yet. i just hope it don't mess up my block. ernesto in 06 caved in a roof on my block that was 45 years old. i wasn't living here yet though. it brought good swell. that storm was nothing on a scale of things either. i remember gloria being bad up here, and belle when i was 5 years old. ernesto caused a tree to fall onto the roof of a buddy of mines garage. he lived up in orange county new york. it didn't help the roof was falling apart already anyway. i went up to help him with a job during hanna in 08, and he was worried that was gonna do more damage to his place.

20. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    O so do I. I wanna it to farther offshore so we get some big, long period swell and so it doesn't destroy the beaches from the erosion. There's a chance for it to miss us completely.