strong offshore winds

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Swellinfo, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    FYI:

Currently if the winds are directly offshore, then Swellinfo calls this clean and green no matter what the strength. But, we are making a switch to anything over 45mph going blue.

I've heard a lot of people talk about going out after the winds shift. Keep in mind, that 45+ offshore winds is going to be pretty chaotic.

2. staystoked

staystoked Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Chaotic as in choppy? Or chaotic like if I try to paddle into a wave ill get blown off?

3. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    if you are seriously that **** ass stupid then you deserve what happens to you as a result

4. chillisurfer

chillisurfer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    I would make it red... I know a lot of unintelligent people when it comes to surf forecasting, who thinks green means great, blue means alright to surf, and red means bad. I wouldn't want anybody not see your post and go out because they think its alright to surf.

5. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    With winds directly offshore, then the wave faces will still be clean, but paddle factor and currents moving away from land make things chaotic.

6. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    agreed, and noted. Swellinfo never uses the terms good, bad, etc... But, I agree, that some might interpret it that way.

7. delsurf

delsurf Member

Jan 27, 2006
    If you do happen to paddle out when the winds are that hard offshore, just make sure you wear a leash.... just saying...

8. chillisurfer

chillisurfer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Or take a jetski...I'm looking foward to see the elite surfers getting towed in on these bombs

9. LOSTsoul

LOSTsoul Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2009
    #1: Please don't make this a "nanny website" by purposely making the forecast "red" to keep the kooks away.

#2 Chaotic; as in you will get blown out to sea and never come back.

10. Scobeyville

Scobeyville Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    Even if you have a ski, when you go to do a top turn you're going to get blown all the way to france.

11. brandx

brandx Well-Known Member

May 6, 2008
    if someone cant tell whether they should paddle out by looking at the actual waves and currents then they shouldn't be considering hurricane surf anyway

12. Darealm

Darealm Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2007
    I'm not even planning on surfing Sunday. The currents are going to be ridiculous and dropping into a wave with 45 MPH offshores is extremely difficult

13. pvjumper05

pvjumper05 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2008
    hahah not once did i consider surfing sunday. thats just ridiculous conditions