Soo.. whats the outcome of GRUVI

Discussion in 'Non Surf Related' started by Epic, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    Gruvi, rather then trying to provoke other users, it might be a good idea to just hang low until you see how other members are in the forum... or you will probably just get shredded apart again.

Just like surfing in someone else's territory, you have to let the locals have first dibs, until you earn a bit of respect.

2. brek

brek Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2008
    welcome back Gruvi. Good luck to you. I also got into surfing relatively later in life (mid 20s) and don't live particularly close to the ocean -- so it's a lot of work, but well worth it.

As a beginner, the most important thing to remember is to stay out of people's way. Read up on surf etiquette and make sure you understand it. It's not just about being polite, but also the safety of people and their boards. From your initial post, it sounded like you may not have understood all that.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

3. ihatelongboarders

ihatelongboarders Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2007
    let's get rid of matt johnston and make gruvi the new admin. dude clearly gets it.

4. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    No disagreement here. :) But I can't help being outgoing to others sometimes. I love people too much and I'm just absolutely loving sharing the stoke! Please pardon me gang if I'm too happy at times :D Thanks again Admin! :)

5. mongoloid

mongoloid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    theres no way this dude is for real

6. Chris Joyner

Chris Joyner Moderator

May 23, 2006
    Must figure out how to disable the smileys! Muhahahahhah

7. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Thanks brek! I appreciate the advice. To me it's the most intimidating part of beginning; staying out of the way! Everytime I've been out in Belmar, I spent more time out of the water because I didn't want to be in the way. So I spent that time watching others; how they pop up, when they bail, which waves they let go, who gets the wave rights, and so on. Sometimes I feel bothered that I am not able to get the paddle practice I want (due to there's usually a guy or two hogging all the waves), but I am discovering surfing is not something to be rushed for me. Next week will be much better to learn and improve since I'm going to be in Assateague where I actually got to know several dudes, as well as there is a wider berth of set areas where I won't interfere with the experienced surfers. Plus if something goes bad I feel confident that I would get help. In Belmar I don't quite get the same vibe unfortunately.

8. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    if i really was wrong,then i am sorry.please forgive

9. Sniffer

Sniffer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Since you have been on this site, you have yet to get wet. Please take my advice from the beginning...Go Surf! Stop your yapping and stop trying to learn about surfing on the freakin internet. Your dealing with people here that have surfed the North Atlantic year in and year out...we dont like to welcome people that use surfing as an image thing or something that is convienent to do.

10. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Good advice. There are a vicious bunch of assholes around here, aren't there? I am still confused as to what this dude did to provoke the ****storm on the other thread. He is a little strange, but seems to have good intentions. That is more than I can say about a few older members here.

11. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Hey dude, I am so on board with your advice. I don't care how I look today and I decided I'm going to put fresh wax on the shortboard I picked up, throw on the suit and take my lickings.

12. Sniffer

Sniffer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Ok...Goodbye!

13. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Woah

Yes. This gruvi character is back!

14. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Gruvi,

It will sound alot better when you are approaching people if you say something like I'll buy you a six pack if you can give me some pointers instead of the whole pizza thing.(Make sure their 21 of course).I believe you paid your dues on here.Its been one heck of a ride the last couple days.Now go catch some waves and there are waves in Belmar today.

15. pvjumper05

pvjumper05 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2008
  16. LoTekSurf

LoTekSurf Member

Jul 28, 2010
    That's usually about all it takes. Wasn't it always the kid who was a little strange that got picked on in school?

I admit I was beginning to have my doubts about gruvi, but I'm glad he's legit.

17. CaptJAQ

CaptJAQ Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Here ya go Gruvi, sniffer's right. In the immortal words of Don Redondo:
    "Hey kid, you wanna know about Surfin', you SURF! You don't surf.... You don't know nothin' about Surfin"

Part 2: Our hero asks the Fabled Waterman to accept him as his apprentice

(I might have to re-read those, just for laughs,)

18. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Really thats all you got??? How many Usernames u gonna make up this week and hide behind :)

19. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    i am so stoked gruvi is for real. this is just awesome. i'm sorry if i gave you any ****, i tried to be serious in my initial approach because i wasn't sure if you were another member trolling, but your "outgoing" attitude definitely had me going. most people pay their dues over a period of time, but you basically got all of it in one thread. anyway, yeah some stuff you said was bit kooky but you're a beginner and i think eventually you'll start to understand. at least you seem committed to learning unlike some kooks who just want to catch as many waves as they can on their soft top in one day. well good luck in the water, and i would take Sniffer's advice. try to ease your way in rather than go all out with an approach like your introductory thread.
    also i would recommend watching the movie point break ;)

20. Hilly

Hilly Active Member

Sep 17, 2011
    nice

glad to see you back gruvi.