**Official wetsuit review thread**

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by mOtion732, Sep 28, 2010.

1. offshore

offshore Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Rip Curl E Bomb 3/2 chest zip.
    Payed 255.00 for the suit new from surfside (surfline discount). The suit is super stretchy and really lightweight and I barely notice I'm wearing the thing. Seams are very durable with the added external tape which looks like it is going to be very durable. I like the added tape on the wrist/ankle area which my other suits don't have. I feel like it seals the suit up a bit more. I haven't been able to take it in chillier water to see how it would hold up, but from the couple sessions I've had with it I don't see any reason why it can't take you into the low 50's for water temp. For early DP sessions in the summer it's my go to.

2. Rez

Rez Active Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Anyone know how the fit on a Hyperflex Hooded 5/4 Flow compares to the AMP Hooded 5/4? I had some difficulties getting the AMP on over my somewhat stocky frame, but my 4/3 flow fits great and seems to be water snug (water does get in through the shoulder cinches from time to time but heats up quick).

Rez

3. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I notice in the cest my flow had a little bit more room than the Amp. When I got my amp I went to a medium rather than a large and it fit way better

4. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    how does it have a 45min dry time if it never soaks up water? :confused: am i the only one confused by the apparent contradiction here?

5. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I dont know anything about the billabong that "doesnt soak water" but one of the things i like about my Matuse is that it doesnt soak up much water, stays very lightweight, and dries quickly since the water is mostly just beaded up on the surface when you take it off and hang it up.

6. bobbyg

bobbyg Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Ive had my 5/4/3 billabong sg5 for about two years now and freakin love it. Have never had a problem with being extremely cold unless the windchill dips below the mid 20's. Would definitely buy another

7. tendercrisp

tendercrisp New Member

Aug 12, 2011
    I'm looking at a couple suits on sale. I'm a beginner in southern california and am hoping to get a mid-range suit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Budget is around 200. So far I'm looking at XCEL: 3/2 Infiniti X-Zip for 216, Infinity X-Zip Comp for 195, OS-zip for 180. And ONeill heat 3q backzip fsw for 187.

Thanks

8. henryk

henryk Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Someone help me find a 5/4/3 chest zip hooded, for a good reasonable prize and that will keep me warm. I appreciate it.

9. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    I'm probably going to get the new rip curl "flash bomb" thats supposed to be dry in 15minutes. It's more dry to the touch in the inside of the suit because the liner wicks away the water to the outside of the suit. to go into more detail, theirs two (2) layers of neoprene, the inner (with the wick thermo layer) and the outside layer, and the water is supposed to go through the inner layer and run down in between the the layers. it apparently works, and for $400, i'm getting it. http://www.ripcurl.com/?flashbomb

you should also check out buell wetsuits at, you guessed it www.buellwetsuits.com. best suits on the market. Nike 6.0, RUCA, Volcom, Rusty, ect. uses theese suits for their athletes.

10. NJSwell

NJSwell Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    check out the 5/4/3 hyperflex amp or amp aerodome series, they are under $300. if you want to go a cheaper, check out the flow series.

11. henryk

henryk Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2010
  12. henryk

henryk Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Come on swellinfo

13. GnarActually

Sep 30, 2007
    don't get a f bomb. maybe you should read my advice, and not complain. you work at a surf shop, you'd think you'd know what your talking about

14. henryk

henryk Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2010
    lol wut? whos complaining?
    I just want other inputs. Not a big deal

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  15. wave slider

wave slider Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I got an excel Infiniti x-zip 2 5/4/3 on crailgslist band new for 100 are they Any good it's going to be my first winter surfing

16. sharp eye

sharp eye Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Anyone have any input about the Quiksilver 5/4 hooded ignite wettie?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  17. GnarActually

Sep 30, 2007
    I never owned one, but i do own a quiksilver cypher and i think quiksilver makes one of the best suits in the market. There taping and neoprene is my favorite, and a buddy of mine have the 5/4/3 ignite and he says he likes it more than his xcel infiniti. i say go for it

18. spongedude

spongedude Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2010
    from a guy who gets cold....

heat is the entry level oneill. try a psycho 1 (back) or psycho rg8 (front) and you can probably get one on sale (4/3 or 3/2) for under 200 (hss and katins in HB have the last year's models for around $150). the taping and stitching are superior to heat...sorry for late post.

19. tibu35

tibu35 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Looking to get a high end 3/2 that would get me through december in new jersey before I have to switch to the 5/4....I'm a fan of rip curl and oneill, but would like others suggestions.....I have a rip curl dawn patrol which is low end and just not gonna cut it....I don't really want any drylocks, back zips or heated wet suits because i dont trust them yet.....looking at maybe a psycho freak or high end rip curl, but other suggestions are welcome.....i'm sure my answer is buried somewhere in this 16 page thread, but i didn't want to read the whole thing (just being honest) thanks in advance

20. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Drylock would be a good option in my opinion. I have all excel suits and have had no complaints. If you're willing to spend some cash check out the Patagonia suits