Best board for the East Coast

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by GoodVibes, Oct 29, 2011.

1. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Lets face it.We don't get alot of epic days.If you only have a choice of 1 board for the East Coast what would it be and why?

2. marknel83

marknel83 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009

3. RobG

RobG Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2010
    I'm a fan of the wider/thicker/low rocker shortboard trend going on. Not ideal in tiny mush or overhead bombs but for the majority of the swells we get on the east coast they go great.

4. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    i second this. these types of boards work well in even slightly overhead stuff too. an rnf type of board would be a good choice as well. for me, it's a 6'0"x20 1/4"x2 5/8" dumpster diver type board...full rails, wide nose, & wide tail.

5. superbust

superbust Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    my 5'10x19"x2 3/8" lost stealth is the ****, waist to head days are more fun than ever

6. ripturbo

ripturbo Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2011
    if you want to surf most every day and were limited to 1 board you couldnt go wrong with a 7ft funshape. easily duckdivable,able to catch the big stuff and useful as a log. of course id prefer to ride a hp shortboard daily but thatd be too frustrating

7. Loggerhead

Loggerhead Active Member

Oct 29, 2011
    i gotta go with my trusty old 9'4". cross stepping to the nose on small days, nice big looping carves on the bigger ones, nothing better.

8. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    impossible to have one board.

You need at least three to surf all the time. A longboard for anything, a thruster for steep walled breaks, and a fish for everything in between.

9. Chilli

Chilli Active Member

Dec 29, 2010
    My 5,7 rusty dozer. Its probably the best allround board iv ever owned. I can surf it in anything from 2 foot to 8 foot. Its like a more standerd shortboard version of a dumpster diver. and its a 5 fin, that board set up as a quad can handle some juice! iv had it out in just about everything jerz can throw at you,

10. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    My 6'4" WRV Nugget seems to be one of the best overall boards that I have. I've been riding it with the quad setup...i think i should have gotten it slightly shorter, in the 5'10"-6'0" range, but no worries. I contemplating on picking up a Slayer or a Chronic, but not sure which one yet...if anybody has ridden either or, or both and can give me some insight, that would be great!

11. live4truth

live4truth Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2007
    CI sashimi, or something similar (i.e., stealth, rocket, etc.). Healthy amount of nose rocker lower tail...wide tail...etc.

12. HurleySurf39

HurleySurf39 Active Member

Jul 20, 2010
    5'6 2.25 lost sub scorcher hands down

13. shaarkbate

shaarkbate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2011
    i ride a surfrx 5'8" new toy, 90% of the time its good from thigh all the way up to a couple feet overhead. has plenty of float for getting into waves and its super loose.

14. njwrestler25

njwrestler25 New Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Dumpster diver. 5'6"-5'8".

15. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    wow. even for me? i'm 6'1" & almost 200lbs. so i should get the 5'6", right?

16. njwrestler25

njwrestler25 New Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Hells nah. 5'10" 2 1/2. You will love it!

17. njwrestler25

njwrestler25 New Member

Oct 30, 2011
    I have a 5'4" and 5'6" Dumpster Diver. My good friend is around 6' 180 and rides a 5'6" 2 3/4 and loves it.

18. Kahuna Kai

Kahuna Kai Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Agreed, I'd go with a big fat shorty like Rob G and some of the others were mentioning or a longboard. Depends on your style and preferences I guess. You can probably surf a wider variety of waves on the log. I use the longboard on tiny mushy days when the waves don't really wanna push the fish, and on the really big days (rare) so I can get in to the waves way outside and enjoy some stability.

19. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    go back & re-read my first post in this thread. you completely missed my sarcasm.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  20. whyman

whyman New Member

Dec 2, 2010
    East Coast Boards

I've had a wide variety of boards for east coast small surf from Lost RNF, Rocket, Al Merrick Biscuit to longboards and so far my all time favorite has been the RNF. But like one of the previous threads said it's all about personal preference. Recently I've been surfing longboards because I love walking up and down the board and catching waves is so effortless. I have a 9'3 In The Pink by Takayama and its sick for every size wave. With overhead steeper waves you can get an early takeoff so you don't have to worry about a steep drop in and walking it is a piece of cake in bigger steeper surf. But I have been looking to get a shorter board and recently I came across an intriguing shape by Takayama. It's called Scorpion by Takayama and I just ordered it at 5'10 check it out looks like it could be a lot of fun ESPECIALLY for East Coast Surf. But favorite shortboard I've owned so far has been Lost RNF.