College speech on how to surf...need visual aid

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by LostSurf64, Feb 28, 2012.

1. LostSurf64

LostSurf64 Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Hello, for public speaking I have to do a speech on how to do something and need a visual aid. I would like to do my speech on how to surf but I do not want to bring in a large item as a visual aid.. Does anyone have any ideas for a visual aid??? thanks

2. rtftfwd

rtftfwd Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2008
    bar of wax...leash...
    had same class at Rutgers many years ago, did mine on yo-yoing...

3. REDDZ

REDDZ Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    A fin representing hydrodynamics.

4. staystoked

staystoked Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    wax, a fin,rash guard, sun block, wax comb, leash, fcs key, wetsuit bootie ( share the funk), surf mag, dvd,sand....anything can be used as a visual prop, but teachers don't care about the crap you pick, just on how you present it.

5. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Yes... A lot can come out of analyzing a fin in terms of physical principles. As a "how to"... not so sure.

How to lay down a planshape... a roll of paper, a pencil, a square, and a long flexi stick... get a few audience members to lend a hand and it will get everyone involved. You can discuss design principles along the way.... Then you can cut it out and hang it on the wall for all to see as a final product.

6. super fish

super fish Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2008
    a VIMEO video of how to surf, then mute it, and put your own words in it. youtube sucks and is terrible quality. also, bring a sticky bumps candle and light it so you have the fresh scent of wax spreading across the room as they watch the vid. You could always punch people in the stomach then throw ice water in their face and say "this is what it feels like to **** up on your drop in in the middle of winter".

7. RMAC9

RMAC9 Member

Feb 26, 2012
    haha this..gotta love north east coast surfing in 41 degree water and you get water down your hood

8. super fish

super fish Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2008
    yeah buddy

9. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
  10. cheese

cheese Well-Known Member

May 7, 2011
    this is so true. ever since i grasped this concept, every presentation ive done has been a piece of cake. confidence is key. as long as you LOOK like you know what you're talking about, most people (including the teacher) will be convinced.

11. fupafest

fupafest Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    use a cardboard cut out of a board and use the whiteboard to draw the waves/ocean. Then use the desk to show how to paddle and pop up. It surprises the class that you are actually standing on the desk and demostrates your point. If your good enough at teaching, they will get the point. I did this for my public speaking class in college and got an A.

12. wave1rider65

wave1rider65 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009

Yep Yep.... Beginners video with your narration is the best way to go.

13. krl0919

krl0919 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    bring in a live shark and then throw a bucket of ice cold water on the class. we wouldn't want any of them to even think of trying surfing now would we?