Rincon vs. San Juan

Discussion in 'Puerto Rico' started by DawnPatrol321, Mar 9, 2012.

1. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I recently made a post about going to San Juan for my honeymoon this coming October but after talking to everybody on here and doing a lot of research, it's looking more and more like Rincon is the area to go. This is my honeymoon so I won't be spending every day surfing, especially since my fiance doesn't really surf, so we want to be able to split our time between surfing and exploring the other parts of the Island so we can have that romatic time, mixed with some adventure if you know what I mean. We're looking at staying at the Rincon Beach Resort, which i've heard a lot of good things about, and then there is that guy at 787 or whatever that you can hire for lessons / guided tours. Does anybody have any 1st hand knowledge of this place or that guy over at 787?

2. Aguaholic

Aguaholic Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Rincon is a good choice. Check out Maria's. They have a surf school there. Get there early or there will be 50+ people out. The reef is forgiving, and pretty mellow when it's not firing. Just don't drift down towards Indicators (toward the light house) as the wave gets pretty hollow and breaks in real shallow water. After you surf, go grab a drink a El Bohio.

3. BMur723

BMur723 New Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Casa Islena is a nice little spot right on Sandy Beach in North Rincon. Its worth a look. I stayed there and loved it.

4. Stayabovetheweather

Stayabovetheweather Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Pools Beach Cabinas was a great little spot in Rincon area check that out too!

5. Earl of Funk/Duke of Cool

Earl of Funk/Duke of Cool Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Roger at 787 is a good friend of mine. Check out his web site. He will rent you boards and you can tag along when he is giving lessons so you get the local knowledge which is key around Rincon. He'll guide you to the north side or south side depending on which is breaking better. and his place is nice but it's not on the beach. He can point in the right direction towards inland activities too.
    Stay Above the Weather is right too. Pools Beach Cabinas is nice up on the north side. 787 is down below Rincon on the South side. About 5 minutes from Marias/Dogmans.
    Damn, I miss living there.....

6. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    As far as surfing, thats a no brainer. Rincon. I cant say enough about Rincon and its awesomeness. Your girl will love the lazy parrot inn and the adjoined rum shack. Casa verde seemed sweet too.

I didn't buy a ring or anything but my girl and I took an AMAZING pr trip together that was very honeymoon-ish this past November. We stayed 3 days and nights in the condido and Old san juan area, rented a jeep and drove to Ponce (2.5-3 hours) for a day and a night, then drove up to rincon (another 2.5-3 hours probably) for the last 3 days. We went swimming in a water fall at El younque (sp?), did the bio-luminescence kayak tour at a beach on the south coast about a half hour from ponce, We checked out the Camoy Caves on the way out of rincon, I got barreled, she got a tan, and we both had a freaking blast. I can't stress how much fun the whole "puerto rico road trip" thing was. I mean, the place is the size of Connecticut and car rentals are dirt cheap.

The rincon crowd "doesn't go to san juan" but really the night life there was amazing. Any given saturday there is a street festival about ... whatever. We happened to catch the "Condido Culinary festival" was was a real treat. I ate fresh pulled pork and downed $3 mojitos until I couldn't see straight. One block from our hotel.

Ponce is a must see but try to also time that for a weekend because the place shuts down mid week, it was a ghost town when we arrived on thursday and a carnival on our way out friday. The city is ancient and much more low key than SJ. The surrounding mountains are some of the most beautiful roads you will ever drive.

Rincon nightlife is ok if you like crowded bars and people with cooler stories than you. Most nights we just ended up on the balcony with a bottle of rum. The sushi joint behind pools beach is great too. (pools is such a fun wave)

Haha thats enough for now I could go on all day. Feel free to PM me.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  7. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks again man, you responded in my last thread too, so I appreciate all the advise. it took a little convincing but my fiance finally agrees that it's probably best we stay in the Rincon area rather than San Juan. What i think we'll end up doing if nothing else changes is we'll probably stay at the Rincon Beach Resort and then we'll look your buddy Roger up so we can hit the best spot available at the time for surf. I'm looking for a nice longboard wave, or even better something I can take an SUP out on. I have been surfing mostly SUP this past year and have progressed pretty well so far, not ready for anything over head high at this point, but if it's possible, i'd like to rent one of those for a nice waist to chest and glassy day. If not, i'll grab a LB and paddle out. As far as lessons go, i'd like to take my game to the next level, as I have lots of room for improvement, athough i've been at it 15 years off and on. Hopefully the reef situation isn't too bad, as I do plan on falling often HAHA

8. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Good stuff man, thanks for all your help. Being that this is my 1st trip out of the country it's going to be a little overwhelming at 1st but i'm sure i'll settle in just fine. We definitely want to exlore the island and renting car seems ideal for that, especially if it doesn't cost too much. Looks like Rincon Beach Resort is our destination if all works out as planned, but now I have several options to consider thanks to everybody's feedback. The bio-luminescence kayak tour sound pretty awesome, we'll definitely be looking into that. Surf is only half the trip so things like that are much appreciated, so the little lady can enjoy and not get bored waiting for me to return to the beach every day HAHAHA

9. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    FYI it's not another country. No passport required. It is a US territory. Cops speak english, businesses take US dollars, the usual laws apply. It's just like home, but with waves and big booty brown girls (and not the kind that hang out near atlantic city.... different shade of brown)

10. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Good call, Maria's sounds / looks pretty solid, and can't go wrong with a stiff drink after a nice sesh, El Bohio here we come!

11. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    HAHA, yeah "out of the country" to me means outside of Florida for the most part, But i hear what you're saying. As far as the women go, i'll be with my newlywed wife, who just so happens to be from Honduras and is "brown skinned" with a nice ole booty herself, so i won't have to look far!

12. marksharky

marksharky Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2012
    Rincon vs San Jaun vs. Punta Bonrinquen

Go to Punta Bonrinquen very consistent, clean and fun.

[​IMG]

Check the thumbnail below a nice shot of Wildo from the air. Many areas to surf and way more consistent on the north sure then in Rincon. Stay at La Cima inexpensive and near all the breaks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  13. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I took my family down to stay in Rincon Beach Resort and it was nice. Not super delux, but nice. Did the caves thing... pretty cool. You can also drive to El Yunque and check that place out... really cool too. The surf will not disappoint, and when it's flat, you gotta take her out to Tres to snorkel.

14. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks, the place looks gorgeous, looks like we are going to stay at the Rincon Beach Resort and check out a few spots. Maria's looks fun but not sure if it will be too crowded in October or not.

15. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Sounds like fun, we haven't booked the trip yet, but it's looking like Rincon Beach Resort is the best option for what we are looking for. Looks like the plan will be to fly into San Juan, rent a van, drive to Rincon, explore the area for a few days and catch 2-3 days of surf at the more LB / SUP friendly breaks. Haven't heard anything from anybody about surfing SUP around that area. Would I be one of the only people on an SUP catching waves? I don't wanna "be that guy" if you know what i mean...

16. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Might not be too crowded... October is not peak tourist season. Even when it is crowded, Marias can get pretty spread out, with several lineups from the point through Marias, down to Dogman's. Be careful on the inside and the shallow spots down the line toward "stacks" or whatever they call it, where pipes stick up out of the water.

You'll have fun. I am jealous.

17. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Cool so it's not one of those spots you hear about getting too crowded or the locals being too aggro? I'm just interested in catching some 3-5ft LB / SUP waves, not trying to get sponsored or go on the next tour or anything HAHA

18. rodndtube

rodndtube Well-Known Member

May 21, 2006
    If you are interested in the bio-lumi kayak tour you might want to consider just staying in La Parguera for the night. The SW corner of the Island has some wonderful beaches -- Boqueron, El Combate, the Lighthouse and others. There is a parador in nearby Guanica and another place that a friend and wife stayed at a few years back, http://maryleesbythesea.com/, that you could stay at and explore a couple days to Ponce to the East and Cabo Rojo/Boqueron & Puerto Real (fishing village area with some real good no-name restaurants) to the west.

For October surfing and romance you might be better off at one of the villas/hotels just east of Jobos (there is also a nice villa west of Jobos) -- maybe a little more romantic than living amongst a swarm of gringos in Little America (Puntas). Jobos will probably be a nice beach for you to surf at and for the new wife to hang out at as there is some nice sandy areas for swimming in calm waters inside the cove.

BTW, Puerto Rico isn't really "out of the country" especially if you have been to Little Havana in Tampa or S. FL in general... just different than Iowa or Indiana.

19. rodndtube

rodndtube Well-Known Member

May 21, 2006
    Yes, it is a place where the locals can get aggro so pay total duty and respect on the SUP. Yield to the bodyboarders, both genders, or you may be in for a not so fun time. October can get some early Winter swell but it will be more consistent along the north coast.

Another suggestion while out on the Island (and away from San Juan which is a smart move). Book a villa or parador down around Humacao or up in the hills around El Yunque or near Fajardo/old Roosevelt Roads Navy Base. You can easily spend a day in El Yunque and also a half day skin diving in the Fajardo islands area. Get a copy of Que Pasa, the tourist guide, and a good travel guide to figure out the details. From the E/SE end you can drive to Guanica, stopping in Ponce along the way.

I don't think you will want to paddle out at Inches on the SE coast near Patillas. A very nice left on easterly trades or storm swell. Shallow and full of fire coral. If you get burned by the fire coral then you can seak out some Santeria in the nearby town of Guayama, the center of Santeria in PR :)

20. Kahuna Kai

Kahuna Kai Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Have fun in "another country" and try not to wear it from a sponger or on the reef. Oh, and watch yer cornhole bub.