Sharks in Jersey

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Njsurf14, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Njsurf14

Njsurf14 Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Ok now in my lifetime i have only seen two real sharks in the water in New Jersey. One down in Cape May on vacation, and another at Darlington. They were both small no bigger than 4 feet but once i see that fin i get so paranoild.

And for those of you who live in the Monmouth county area, you probly know abut the 49 foot whale ( practacly half a football field) that washed up on shore. They said the wail got hit by an ocean liner or somebodys private yaht. Keep in mind this was forth of july week end and i counted 50 boats in the water at one point. But for a whale to get pushed in to the beach i'm thinking it was abut 2 or 3 mile intil it got in. So if the whale was bleeding from the laceration than wouldent that bring bait fish or even worse SHARKS. So now i am asking if anybody agrees with me or if i'm just paranoid

2. goin_retro

goin_retro Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Paranoid, but if you want to stay out of the water this weekend, it will leave more sick waves for everyone else

3. Aguaholic

Aguaholic Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
    this has been covered already

http://www.swellinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2303

Your just paranoid....sharks are out there tho.....I've seen bull sharks, & threshers. matter of fact 2 baby sand sharks washed up yesterday morning in asbury.

FYI - Football fields are measured in yards not feet. :cool:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  4. iceybeatzjosh

iceybeatzjosh Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2007
    animals will only betray you, if you betray them.
    that is why I am a vegetarian.

5. Aguaholic

Oct 26, 2007
    you must be on some solid ass shrooms. :)

6. tbing

tbing Well-Known Member

May 27, 2008
    Nothing wrong with being a vegetarian, but I really doubt that will stop a shark from biting you.

I think you're being paranoid. Don't get me wrong, I think about it from time to time but don't let it get to you. I've seen more sharks then I want to. Two SCARY sights and a few others. Seen numerous sharks from boats. My friend (Lifeguard at the beach) told me he saw a Great White the size of the lifeguard row boats just past the surf breaks on one of his morning swims. Cautious? Yes, but chances of it coming closer to feed are slim. Great whites attack in an upwards motion, if you're on the surf break it'll be too shallow.

Surfing at dusk with a bunch of my friends is when I saw about a 6-7 ft shadow swimming back/forth under us. We didn't move and it eventually just left as alone. That was my first nervous encounter. Second time was when I was swimming under water. I opened my eyes to catch a glimpse of a big animal. Am I sure it was a shark? No, but it was 5+ ft long and swimming away. I left the water for about 30 minutes.

7. swede2100

swede2100 Member

Jun 1, 2008
    Your out of your mind.!!! Surfed here for 25 years, this is one of the last places to worry about sharks.....

8. JerseySurfRat89

JerseySurfRat89 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2007
    me and my frend saw a shark the other day..couildnt tell what kind tho

9. ...LostInFlorida

...LostInFlorida Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2008
    y'all have it good!... if i can go 3 days without seeing a shark here in pensacola than damn... i see sharks just about every time i paddle out, often i see more than one in a session...

just about 3 weeks ago we saw over 10 sharks in a few hours... bull sharks, all over 8 feet.

sharks we see on a regular basis: bulls, hammerheads, blacktips, spinners, makos, and the occasional tiger shark...

i'm not talkin about small either, these things are 1 step away from being 'Jaws lil cousin' :eek:

10. mtd

mtd Active Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Couple of years ago at 28th st, OC, while sitting in the lineup I looked down just in time to see about a 5 footer going right under my board, between my legs. I freaked and kicked my legs straight up and out which made him freak and he shot away and got caught in my leash for just a moment. The force of it was incredible (imagine a really big dog suddenly taking off after a rabbit and yanking the leash, only its around your ankle!) - felt like it was gonna rip my leg off. As quick as he was on it, he was off it and we both hauled ass in separate directions. My lower leg swelled up with a nasty abrasion but I don't know what was scarier - seein' him, or feeling that violent jolt. Anyway, afterwards I never thought that he was gonna bite (he had his chance to do that just before I saw him) - I figured he was just checkin' me out but who knows...
    I once read a quote by a surfer in Cali who had a naughty run-in with a shark which went something like "I want to live an interesting life filled with memorable experiences..." when asked why he would go back into the water. I think we all can relate - I know I can! :eek:

11. NJlongboarder

NJlongboarder Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Ive been surfing the Jersey shore for 12 years. The only sharks ive ever seen in person were a couple of lil nursing or sand sharks up on the beach. And they were under 2ft long.

They are out there but I wouldnt worry to much!

I remember last year(maybe two years ago) when Taj was on the world tour in i think south africa. During his heat a giant great white appeard behind him. Needless to say he left the water in a hurry and forfitted. They gave him crap for it but i dont care id rather live to surf another day!!!!

12. NJBB

NJBB Member

Oct 12, 2007
    'll take sharks in the lineup over the weekend board short Benny’s any day!.

I feel my life is in more danger when they are in the line up bailing their boards and droping in on you.

13. wjb67

wjb67 Guest

well...paranoia aside...if you don't buy that the whale was injured by a ships spit...it could have easily been orcas...I've seen orcas off of LBI a few times.

however there ARE sharks off nj...remember the attack that Jaws was based on happened right off of Spring Lake...then up the canal in Matawan

14. Aguaholic

Oct 26, 2007
    HAhahaha......I second that! :cool:

15. wizes7

wizes7 Active Member

May 30, 2007
    skarks are badass

16. tbing

tbing Well-Known Member

May 27, 2008
    You know Shark River. Its called that for a reason.

17. aczaplicki

aczaplicki Well-Known Member

May 10, 2008
    Lost in Florida i used to live in Pensacola and your not kidding about shark sightings there. I remember my first day there, i was swimming and saw a large shark. The life guards just told us to move in (not even get out of the water) like it was no big deal. Shortly after that (about 1 week) i was at the beach (Pensacola beach) and that little boy got attacked by the shark after his dumb ass uncle caught it and he was getting a closer look. Not the best sight ive ever seen.

18. Driftingalong

Driftingalong Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Not always; there have been a few accounts in Cali that show otherwise. Pretty sure it was about a great white, but maybe not.
    The shark circled around to the shallower area between the surfer and the beach. Since the surfer is facing the open ocean looking for the next wave the shark figures it can sneak in behind the surfer...and bam, destroys the tail of the board or worse nails the dudes leg along with the board.

19. atmcracer

atmcracer Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2008
    ok attacking humans is one thing but destroying boards come on sharks lets make a truce you can eat all the swimmers alone but if it rides a board then it gets a freebie every time

anyone else think thats a good idea

20. aczaplicki

aczaplicki Well-Known Member

May 10, 2008
    ya attacking the board is taking it a little far. Attack the bennys in nj and ill keep feeding the sharks.