any girls in the jacksonville area?

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by beyondlimits, Mar 22, 2012.

1. beyondlimits

beyondlimits Active Member

Mar 22, 2012
    hey! looking for some friends who enjoy the waves Im so new to surfing Its sad. lived in Hawaii for 3 years and never picked up a board! (can you feel my regret over the internet!)But my time has come and I'm looking for some friends to show me the ropes a lil. lol. ok ok ALOT! i have no idea wtf im doing! haha..so if anyone is interested let me know!! and for all you guys that clicked on this;) send me info on anything..you think i should know..lol..thanks!~

2. a2tall

a2tall Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2011
    the longer the better... this is in no way a sexual joke. get a longboard... seriously...

3. beyondlimits

Mar 22, 2012
    lmao!! so ive read..im trying to get a board within the next couple weeks..whats a good price? as i dont know what im talking about and being a chick with D's im hoping not to get ripped off by jerks!

4. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    hahaha yes I agree with a2tall. longboards are pretty much the best boards to learn on and to use on the east coast. and if this is actually a real post ( i hate that I have to put that out there) you're the first girl i've ever seen on the forum. congrats!

5. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Pick up an 8 foot funshape, should run you around 650

6. beyondlimits

Mar 22, 2012
    yea ive been trying to look for girls on here with no luck:( booo..okay so longboard it is..is a funboard the same thing or is it just a lighter version of a longboard.??lol.

7. beyondlimits

Mar 22, 2012
    I'm '5'5 so i think an 8 footer will be way to big im thinking no more than 7 but i mean i could be wrong..lol.

8. NJ-SWELL

NJ-SWELL Member

Jan 28, 2012
    you need to think, can you even transport an 8ft ish board to the beach?
    Are you trying to start now or in the summer because starting now ull need a suit and stuff.
    A fun board is shorter and more maneuverable than a long board but offers less float.

9. beyondlimits

Mar 22, 2012
    haha..yea i have a jeep commander..so having room in no problem..on the other hand carrying it down to the sand.lol.. will be another story..im guessing it shouldnt be too heavy..right? lol. im looking on ebay for suits in the mean while i need to find a board first..i guess..soo much excitment so lil time. the water is getting pretty warm..not like california right now thats for sure!

10. beyondlimits

Mar 22, 2012
    another question does everyone start off on longboards/funboards? or is it just a better choice because its easier to learn..

11. TylerSurf4life15

TylerSurf4life15 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2012
    umm Most people start off on Longboards. If you start off on a Shortboard its super hard to learn to stand up & learn how to ride a wave.

12. Tuberz

Tuberz Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Because they're easier to learn on. You will progress more quickly by getting down just the basic mechanics (paddling, catching wave, standing up). They offer more float and ease to catch waves. As opposed to riding a shortboard (which is what a ton of ignorant beginners like to do) and having a ton of difficulty just paddling, let alone getting to your feet and riding the wave.

13. asharkinslacks

asharkinslacks Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2012
    just stick to cooking and cleaning up the house

14. Stranded in Smithfield

Stranded in Smithfield Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Going from Hawaii to Jacksonville NC I guessing you or more likely your spouse is in the military. Good for you. You have the most wide open beach to learn on. When I lived in Jacksonville, Onslow was my own private beach... very few surfers. The free cabannas on the beach have hot water to warm you up. Even in the winter I would do some seriously long sessions plus they make it easy to change and get out of the wind or sun. Somewhat consistent (at least for the east coast) between AB & the SC border. I averaged 3 surfs a week. Lots of slow rolling waves perfect for beginners. Def. find someone to ride Onslow with to be safe starting out just in case you get in to trouble cuz most of the year its a ghost town. Maybe take some lessons... I think you can hit up up 58 boards Surf shop? (think thats the name) in EI for some lessons to get you started.... good people.

15. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    No...not everyone learns on longboards or funboards, mostly older people just getting into surfing. Mercifully, the average 8th grader is still learning on his older brother's beat up discarded 6'4" The concept of 125 pounders learning on 9 foot boards didnt exist 20 years ago, at least i didnt see anyone doing it. Whether its a better choice or not depends on your size, committment, what kind of surfing you will be doing. There is no right or wrong way, but if you are 5'5" and weigh under 125 there is no reason you need to try to learn on a longboard or even an 8 foot funshape. If catching waves and standing up your first time out is your goal, get a 9' soft top or used longboard, if you want more of a challenge, but want to properly learn to read waves, paddle and catch them get a 7 foot funshape or maybe a 7-6. Just another opinion...theres plenty of 'em.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  16. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    this thread is hilarious. If this were some dude posting about starting to surf and looking for spots and the right board... there would def. be more negative posts directed at the idea of this.
    as far as a real suggestion.... most girls dont realize how much physical effort is needed to surf... let alone being able to actually catch that 5 to 25 second ride. its 90% paddling and positioning.
    I think you should get yourself a good used board, in the 7 to 8ft fun board shape. and if you think you like it, then start looking for a new board, something custom more suited to your size and potential.

17. surfsolo

surfsolo Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Yea, if this was a guy posting (maybe it is in disguise lol), he would get hammer and been called a kook. That being said get a funboard, respect the locals in your area and give them space. Do not paddle into the middle of the lineup. Other than that have fun!

18. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007

Any way of proving you have D's?
    What does that have to do with surfing anyway?

19. beyondlimits

Mar 22, 2012
    lol. your such a cockblocker..get off my thread jerk!

20. beyondlimits

Mar 22, 2012
    uh girl with big boobs with blonde hair ...doesnt know what shes talking about coming to surf boards==def. gonna get ripped off when buying a board..for being "dumb".