Rincon vs. San Juan

Discussion in 'Puerto Rico' started by DawnPatrol321, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Kahuna Kai

Kahuna Kai Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    I hear that La Perla is exquisite. You can hit a raggaeton concert and take a walk by the sea. There is a historic cemetery there where you can do self guided ghost tours at night too! You two will have a great time there, hit up a quaint B&B, and get a lot of bang for you buck!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  2. tropic surfer

tropic surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2011
    DawnPatrolSUP, be flexible on where you stay. Rincon Beach Resort is south of town and you'll need to drive a little to get to the north coast...and lately there have been a lot of car windows broken at Middles, like 10 at a time.
    Ours was broken out at Jobo's in October. Don't leave anything of value in the car. There has been an increase in police patrols up there because of this- -way late but at least they're aware of the problem.
    You won't be the only one on a sup and on small days it won't be an issue, but if it's cranking most of those guys cannot get back out as there are no real channels.
    The bioluminescent bays are great, Vieques is the best, but remember they don't go out on anything near a full moon b/c you can't see anything.
    October is hit or miss for surf, but you can usually find something. Crowds are a fact of life here but the vibe in the water is pretty cool. Mostly.
    See you in the water!

3. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks man, appreciate it, getting lots of good suggestions on here

4. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks man, all good advice, and from someone local from what it looks like. After further review my fiance and I have decided to rent a private villa from the guy who owns the surf shop Mar Azul in what i believe is Puntas, which if i'm correct is near Sandy Beach, it's half the price and he is including the surf boards for FREE and he has SUP's too, along with all beach gear and tie downs for the car. I'm hoping to head over to Maria's if the conditions are right, and possibly Domes, but i'm open to whatever as long as it's not too sketchy on the reef. I'll be surfing a long board as well as the SUP depending on the wind and swell size. Any idea what the average swell is like in late October? I believe it's just before peak season if i'm not mistaken...

5. rodndtube

rodndtube Well-Known Member

May 21, 2006
    The boy is pulling your chain... La Perla is a slum/drug haven in Old San Juan, right next to the El Morro fort guarding the entrance to the San Juan harbor and not far from the Capitol Building overlooking the Atlantic Ocean.

6. rodndtube

rodndtube Well-Known Member

May 21, 2006
    We don't surf "average swells" at any time of the year. The swell is most consistent, on average, in the middle of the winter. However, a person can find February mostly flat and September throwing out 10 foot barrels all month. Waves are weather driven events. So... be prepared for total flatness or waves beyond your abilities. Reefs are everywhere although Domes is one of the more forgiving sites in Rincon -- that and Sandy Beach. Be prepared for a 45-60 minute drive to the north coast -- Surfers Beach or Jobos.

BTW, staying in Puntas you will feel like you never left FL or NJ. Hope the Mar Azul guy has improved his operations concerning SUP and longboard rentals. There were real issues with newbies flooding Rincon without the slightest concept of surf etiquette.

7. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    HAHA, not surprised, wasn't really planning on checking it out, seeing as i'll be on the complete opposite side of the Island. But thanks for the heads up.

8. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    So basically it's a complete gamble in October is what you're saying, which is fine, as long as I score at least one decent swell i'll be happy, but hoping for a few days with the right conditions. As far as "etiquette" goes i won't be one of those guys who's never seen a line up before, got lots of experience there, but i'm sure you were referring to the other guys that normally come to that area. I won't be droppin in on anybody or stealing all the waves from the outside, but i do intend on getting my fair share, give / take. I can surf all types of boards now that i'm back in shape, but i have a new addiction with this SUP i got for my B day last year, and i've progressed rather quickly on it to the point I almost feel most comfortable on it, as long as it's under head high. Once we start looking at Chest+ i pull out my 8ft McTavish or my 6' 10" WRV Fun Fish. I've seen some of the guy's boards online at Mar Azul and it appears he'll be able to provide what i need. Needless to say i'm stoked

9. rgnsup

rgnsup Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Yeah it was! Comes with 2am drunk trips to the hospital for splitting head on rock :p

10. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    "You know what I would do if I had a million bucks?"

11. moranpepe

moranpepe New Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Make sure you take your wife to be to the English Rose for an early brunch and to the Ode to the Elephant for evening drinks and/or dinner. The view is awesome. After session at Maria's Calypso is the place for a sunset cold one.
    Go into comoestaeso.com and you'll see the live action at Maria's. Also visit rinconsurfreport.com and of course swell info has a great forecast As well as caricoos.com. You'll have a blast.

12. neptunehui

neptunehui Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Checknthis out

I own a condo there that is perfect for you and includes longboards check out www.vrbo.com #214129 perfect for surf, fun and honeymoon romance It is extremely clean fully loaded and across from 5 great places to eat with ocean view pool a/c cable tv wifi the works and ignore the online price I discount it for honeymooners check out all the rave reviews from others call me James 516 633-6861

13. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Thank you for the offer, however, from an ealier post:

"After further review my fiance and I have decided to rent a private villa from the guy who owns the surf shop Mar Azul in what i believe is Puntas, which if i'm correct is near Sandy Beach, it's half the price and he is including the surf boards for FREE and he has SUP's too, along with all beach gear and tie downs for the car. I'm hoping to head over to Maria's if the conditions are right, and possibly Domes, but i'm open to whatever as long as it's not too sketchy on the reef. I'll be surfing a long board as well as the SUP depending on the wind and swell size. Any idea what the average swell is like in late October? I believe it's just before peak season if i'm not mistaken... "

14. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    [​IMG]<br /><br /:mad: This is Wilderness from yesterday

15. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Incredible, that's quite the wave

16. NJGOOFYFT

NJGOOFYFT Active Member

Feb 14, 2012
    I have only been to Rincon in April, going again this year, so I don't know how the winds are any other time of the year. I have been renting a condo right on Sandy Beach, which is in Puntas. The spring usually has a strong ENE wind that picks up by 10:00 AM. An early morning session at Sandy Beach is usually glassy and a forgiving bottom. The rocky bottom starts a few hundred yards east by Casa Isleana/Parking lots. Once the wind picks up I head towards Maris, Dogmans, or Domes. Indicators is shallow and over coral.
    Fly into the Aguadilla air port if staying in Rincon, its only 25 miles away vs. a 2 hour drive from San Juan.

17. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks, we're currently trying to find a red eye flight from Orlando to Aguadilla but so far no luck. We may end up staying in Orlando the night of our wedding and flying out later the next morning if we can't find a red eye flight. Jet Blue is probably our best bet but they haven't posted any of those flights just yet, no sure if that will change or if we should just resign ourselves to flying out the next day as opposed to early early morning. Either way that is the exact area we are staying at. Sandy Beach sounds like a good starter beach to get used to the waves there, but i'm also looking at hitting Maria's & Domes provided good conditions are in place. It's going to be late October for our arrival so hopefully there is a fun little swell out there at that time.

18. NJGOOFYFT

NJGOOFYFT Active Member

Feb 14, 2012
  19. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Yeah I have an account and frequent the cams there as well, although today it says 5-6ft - Overhead, but the view i'm getting looks rather small. The swell must of died after this morning.

20. DrBill

DrBill Active Member

Dec 20, 2008