At what age did you start surfing and on what?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by yourdirtymomma, May 4, 2012.

What Age Did You Start Surfing?

1. < 7 years old

7.5%
  2. 8 to 13 years old

38.7%
  3. 14 to 20 years old

31.2%
  4. 20 to 30 years old

10.8%
  5. > 30 years old

11.8%
  1. yourdirtymomma

yourdirtymomma Well-Known Member

May 2, 2012
    I was curious at what age most people start surfing and what the start with.

Did you first use a body board or a surf board?

Long board or a short board?

2. Gfootr

Gfootr Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Don't judge... 24-29 hardcore bodyboarder. Then some kid got finned, and the inlet banned bodyboards, so I evolved to stand up surfing.

3. Driftingalong

Driftingalong Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2008
    I got late start at 28 on 7'2" HIC big guy fish Shell Shape

4. fish66

fish66 Member

Feb 7, 2012
    I started surfing when I was seven, my first board was a 6' JC Rocket Gem, I surfed on that for about four years, still got it.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  5. yourdirtymomma

May 2, 2012
    O' I'm way to awful to stand in judgement of anyone.

I was thinking about trying bodyboarding myself. There are times in the hurricane season, where I spend an hour just trying to get out, then I'm too afraid to ride anything back in....Afraid of paddling back out and afraid of the monsters rolling in. I will never forget the first time I wiped out on an overhead wave...and I still don't have a story about how I rode one. SO I was thinking a bodyboard might be a better choice for me during those days.

PS I've never bodyboarded before.

6. yourdirtymomma

May 2, 2012
    As a child starting, was it like an 'epiphany' or just something fun and cool to do? How long did you take you to get alright-good at it?

7. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Started surfing...maybe 7 or 8 after I fell in love with the free wednesday's surf lessons back in the day. Got my first board at 8 years old, a 5'9 cannibal fish. I started to hang out with kids 2 years older than me and were a lot better than me so I was embarrassed to surf with them, so i started to boogie board, fins and all. I kind of tried to surf the wave rather than do body rolls or whatever. When I was i think 11 or 12 I met a friend, good friend today, that was just was bad as me at surfing but we decided to get really dedicated and surf all the time. I remember surfing for like 4 hours at a time and getting like 3 waves - i guess just getting my water time in. But by the end of that summer i felt comfortable riding the line. When i was 13 it was the best year of my life. Too young to have a job (still sold newspapers in the mornin') and i'd go to the surfing beach and we had a crew of like 15 groms and we'd surf just every single second of every day no matter what. Now at 20, most of the "crew" quit due to laziness, other stuff, drugs ect. but I still remember that feeling when i was 13 having the time of my life and thats my fire today. At 14 I thought i was mister big shot and me and the boys always talked about trying to get sponsored but of course we weren't good enough. But that year was when i really could do cutbacks and little turns and even try little airs, but never making them of course. Now I just flat out rip. Ha, kidding. I like to surf. It's making other aspects of my life harder such as relationships, being called selfish (sometimes), school work (in college, an motivated to get a job), but deep down inside I am secretly forming the rest of my life around surfing. And it kind of sucks because their are a lot of other amazing things in the world, but I can't help it. I'd love to go see the beautiful hills and mountains of Montana or some BS like that, but no way in hell am I going on a trip and not surfing. helll naw

Wow, that was one of the most sincere things I ever wrote on this. i guess because i'm doing anything to get my mind off studying managerial accounting. Sh it sucks!

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  8. natkitchen

natkitchen Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Started at 8ish I think. My brother had a seven foot single fin O'Neil. 34 now. Still love surfing.

9. yourdirtymomma

May 2, 2012
    That was amazing.....because it was raw and sincere. Thank you so much for sharing it with me (US :) ). I started last year at the age of 34. I'm still a mess in the water. I've written much about it, but is too much to share right now.....YOU SHOULD BE STUDYING! :)

And the relationship thing......I knew the day I got stoked, I CANNOT/WILL NOT/ SHALL NOT/ SHOULD NOT date any non-surfer......no matter how much they say they will understand and "it's cool with me baby", they don't understand and in a very short time it will not be cool.

10. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Thanks. read this, i think the author started to surf around 34 also. http://www.amazon.com/Kook-Surfing-Taught-Catching-Perfect/dp/0743294203

11. H2O'C

H2O'C Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Ive been on a body board for my whole life..Standing up this summer year with the step girls. Ill boogie on the big days and surf with the girls on the fun days. Who knows from there?

12. yourdirtymomma

May 2, 2012
  13. freckers

freckers Member

Jan 25, 2012
    I started surfing at the age of 23. I have always loved the water and on a solo cross-country drive I ended up in oceanside, Ca sitting on the beach watching all the kids in surf school. I decided that it was time to actually try surfing so I rented a foam top 7'2" and spent the entire day, and the next morning surfing the whitewater. From the first time I stood up I knew that surfing was my passion. I coundnt get enough. I got home and bought a 6'10" funboard and spent the next year on that, surfing whenever it wasnt too big. I learned the hard way that getting tossed in big surf wasnt fun but ive kept at it and now head high waves are fun! Ive only been surfing for two and a half years but ive got a few boards and im figuring out what works for me. Ive got a longboard and a few shortboards and love both aspects of it. Surfing is something that has changed my life and everything I do now revolves around it. Love at first wave I guess!

14. mexsurfer

mexsurfer Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    started at 10, sports were my main priority, didnt start taking it seriously until 13, then surfing was my main priority :)

15. freckers

freckers Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Ive read this book, its a good read. Also check out In Search of Captain Zero by Alan Weisbecker. Both books made me want to travel, so buyer beware! Haha

16. yourdirtymomma

May 2, 2012
    Things that make you want to travel.....and surf........movie "180 Degrees" absolute must see!

Thanks for the recommendation.

17. yourdirtymomma

May 2, 2012
    Nice.....we should chat in private some time.....I'm only just past a year surfing. I get the feeling we could really relate to each other. "Friend" me if you desire. Either way, thanks for the post......This tread is really stoking me.

18. MDSurfer

MDSurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2006
    @ 14, and that would be in 1964. My first board was a home-made marine plywood round pizza skim board, and my first surfboard was a 9'4" "Royal Hawaiian" pop-out by Dextra from Turco's Sport Center in Wildwood, NJ. My first real board was a 9'4" Dewey Weber. My avatar is from a trip to La Libertad, El Salvador in 1974. Drove there that summer. I was riding a custom made 7'4" Nectar Brewer style single fin mini-gun that Jay Evolcisor ordered for me and I still have it. . . not many chances to use it since returning to the East Coast though. What a hoot, I need to go back before I can't stand up anymore.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  19. wave1rider65

wave1rider65 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Started at 13.......1979 on an 6'2 Aipa twin fin.....Never thought much about learning to surf till I saw a guy at the beach lay back into a sweet barrel.......I said to myself, I have got to do that!

20. yourdirtymomma

May 2, 2012
    Super sweet......I hope to be like you when I grow up :)